Chef Patrick's blog

lol I just did! Thanks!

Note that most of the cornstarch is for dredging the fish in before batter. I was reading threw ingredient list dumping in stuff and added all the cornstarch by accident. Probably why I had to add extra water. Also used Herman Dark Lager instead of club soda.

'Snapper' is my fav fish for fish and chips. There was a place up in Parksville that did it back in the day. Almost beats hali.

lol I just did! Thanks!

Note that most of the cornstarch is for dredging the fish in before batter. I was reading threw ingredient list dumping in stuff and added all the cornstarch by accident. Probably why I had to add extra water. Also used Herman Dark Lager instead of club soda.

'Snapper' is my fav fish for fish and chips. There was a place up in Parksville that did it back in the day. Almost beats hali.

Any cod is good but Lingcod is the best for fish and chips IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any cod is good but Lingcod is the best for fish and chips IMO.

x2 Ling is my favourite white fish in these parts, very moist, with a fine grain to the flesh - yum!

A shame that they have been overfished in many areas on the coast. Let's hope the bottom fish conservation areas work to bring these great fish back in larger numbers.

I like this blog. Thanks for sharing.

I kept a just legal ling last year it was not comparible to a halibut I regretted keeping it because I already had Hali in the freezer. That said there are more then a few places to catch lingcod around south VI just very few people put in the effort to target them. Unless you crash your cannon balls along Rocky shelves you won't catch them trolling for salmon in this area.

I always JIG for Ling.......that way you can get in the tight spots and choice places where angels would fear to go with a downrigger.

Most of the places where big ling hang out is not where you want to be with a downrigger anyhow....

Fishstalker....look for places where there are rocky reefs, rocky outcrops, good tidal/current action androcky ledges and dropoffs in depths from 40 ft to 150ft.......(past the ledges and dropoffs can be deeper than that but alot of times the Ling are where their food is...which is shallower places less than 150ft deep.)

if said place has a strong current running through it (which Ling like)......wait until it is slack tide and then put a jig down.

or pick one of those days where the total days tides does not fall or rise too much...and then fish the spot.

If not, a lot of times you can go out to the place on a slack and fish the the first 1/2 hour of a flood tide when the water starts to gain momentum.....a lot of times this turns them and they'll hit savagely.......

Wow, I see my reputation proceeds me. ;)

Thank you Sculpin for the shout-out, and the rest of you for the kind words.

I hope you don't mind a humble cook from below the border invading your forum, and hopefully invading your country sometime in the not too distant future, to get a line in the water up there.

Chef Patrick

Back