Charging / Maintaining Dual Battery Systems

Franko Manini

Folks,

Like most of you I suspect, I have dual batteries with a typical OFF / 1 /2 / BOTH switch. While my boat is not in use, I like to run a trickle charger on the batteries to maintain them. I also run a charger on them from time to time to try to keep them working longer. I have always connected the charger to one battery at a time, rather than connecting it to the bus and selecting BOTH on the switch. This means I have to crawl into the boat every so often and switch the charger over to the other battery. Also, one battery is always sitting there with no trickle charge. It's a PITA and also not that effective.

I suppose I could pull both batteries out of the boat and move them into the shop (my boat is stored outside all year), but since I use my boat year round, it's not really practical.

What do you do for battery maintenance on a dual system? I have seen chargers that maintain two or more batteries at a time, but i don't know which brands are good and which are not. Looking for suggestions to what I am sure is a common problem (or possibly a stupid question?).

Thanks,
F

I use a CTEK 3 stage charger on my boat whenever it is parked. I believe CanadianTire has their version (Genuis) on sale this week and they are available for multiple batterys from one charger. The advantage to these type of chargers is they can be hard wired in and leaving them plugged in for long periods will not sulphate the battery like a traditional trickle charger in fact they will desulphate a partially degraded battery. Worth every penny IMO

http://www.geniuschargers.com/GENMini2

Last edited by a moderator:
Is 8 amps enough? Or should it be 20 amps? I see there are different models. Thinking about doing the same thing myself.

I use a smart charger from CT as well. It goes into "maintain" mode when the batts are fully charged - essentially providing a low amp trickle to maintain. The one I have has a 12V plug that I plug into the 12V power outlet on my dash. I have my Blue Seas battery switch turned to "on" - so both batteries are being charged/maintained. I have this plugged in whenever my boat is in the driveway.

I run an Optimax OB and they like serious cranking amps to fire up and good voltage to run properly.
I have the 3.3 amp version and it works great. Plugging it in after a full day of downrigging with HP's or a day in the river with power windlass up and down every hour and stereo all day my battery will come to full charge before the following morning (bulk charged to 98%) not single stage to 85% as with conventional chargers. Higher amperage will charge quicker but it doesnt mean your battery will hold the charge any longer. That really depends on the health of your battery.

I use one of the Pro-Mariner chargers. They work great as long as you don't forget to plug in your boat at the end of the day!

http://promariner.com/products/waterproof-on-board-marine-battery-chargers/prosport-series/

Btw, best price in the Vancouver area is at Polar Battery on Boundary.

Better yet, here on Craigslist. http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/boa/4764601831.html

Yep, great way to go, no muss no fuss.
I back the boat into the garage and plug it in, batts are maintained until its ready to go again, never have to worry about it.
Just dont forget to unplug when you pull out……...dont ask :eek:

I use two Coleman 6 watt solar panels as my boat's also outside like yours.I built a stand
for them and have the batteries hard wired to 2 separate lighter socket type plug ins.I
point the panels at the high noon sun and leave them there.When it's time to go I just unplug from the boat and drive away.Keeps them topped up all
year round,and if they get run down pretty low,it takes only 2-3 days to get them back
up to full charge.If I need them quicker than that I throw them on the charger.Been doing
it this way for several years now with no issues at all.Works great!

I use a dual bank charger, by New-mar of Newport, California, model 12-008, which has an ammeter on the front to show charging amps.
I tried cheaper ones, in their plastic cases and was sorry I did as they failed.
Seems to me that some lighting batteries get overcharged by some chargers. So if you have a real sophisticated charger it should take into account the different types of batteries.
If using water in the cells, add it once a year after charging.
Keep the posts free of corrosion. Some compounds like copper-coat or dialectic grease helps.

Franko...
I used a trickle charger for quite a few years. However, after reading about guys who upgraded to a shore power plug and a built in charging system, I did the upgrade about 6 years ago and couldn't be happier.
Its pretty fool proof and I simply leave the boat plugged in full time when the boat is at home. On the water we find it so much easier being able to use the shore power plug in marinas. I also have a 2 outlet 120v circuit wired into the cabin and we use it alot.
For anchoring I use a Honda eu 2000i generator... it matches up great with the built in 10 amp Guest Charge-pro charger that I use. As you can see, guys seem to be happy with other brands too.

Yep, great way to go, no muss no fuss.
I back the boat into the garage and plug it in, batts are maintained until its ready to go again, never have to worry about it.

I'm another one that uses the pro mariner built in charger. Great product. I did read that they don't last long but I've been using mine for a few years now with no problems yet. I like how you can turn your system on while charging and play around with stuff on the boat. I really like it for up at da beach.

i use a battery tender made by deltran international dual bank .i have use it for more than six years and no problems so far

I have the ProMariner ProSport12 hardwired system. Amazing system for the money and is completely saltwater water proof and has all sorts of fully automated intelligent diagnosis and charging system routines. Not only will it not damage your batteries it will actually repair/descale them etc. I Run a big Opti which are power hogs so I use this system and get new batteries every three years to be sure.

Great stuff guys. Thanks a lot. I think I will pick up a Genius Mini Gen 2. On board system, fully sealed, 5 year direct exchange warranty through crappy tire... And it is on sale until tomorrow!

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Hey Franko, make sure you do a stock check before you run down to your local can tire. When I got my NOCO genius 2 bank last year I bought the last one they had in stock in Victoria.

Yeah... I did that. Local store had 2 in stock. So I called to make sure. They said they had them. I got down there and they said"oops, they are both on hold for other customers." Funny because they told me they could not put one on hold for me when I called!

It's no big deal, they ordered one and said it will be in the store in a week. We shall see.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Back