Changing a boats name?

Labman2

Seems I read somewhere, that there is a certain ritual that must be adhered to, if you don't want to jinx your boat when you change it's name.
Anyone heard of it, know what you gotta do?

I read somewhere that some feel it wise that when you peel/scrape off the old name, you need to respectfully cremate the bits and spread the ashes at sea. You should probably not be eating a banana, whistling, packing suitcases on board, leaving on a Friday, letting a full bucket of water sit on deck, opening anything upside down, shooting dolphins, or kicking gingers during the ceremony to receive fortune's full benevolence.

Close, but I found this on iboats.

Everyone knows that renaming your boat will bring nothing but bad luck and make your boating experience something that you will want to forget. But what happens when, after months of searching, you find your dreamboat with a name that you just cannot live with. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all, are those who have defied the gods and changed their names. So, is there a way to change a name and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the elements? Yes, there is and this is how:

Before taking your new boat out for her maiden voyage, you must have a "christening ceremony." A proper christening and the accompanying ceremony ensures good fortune to the boat and her crew throughout the life of the vessel. If, after being properly christened, a vessel does have a run of bad luck, it will be because her christening ceremony was poorly performed, rather than due to her Captain's incompetence or to sea monsters.. So for you new boat owners, don't tempt fate.
Perform the ceremony below before taking your vessel out for her maiden voyage.

First of all, make certain that you invite everyone to the christening who is important to the boat. Since this is an auspicious occasion, it is a good time to invite your friends to witness and to party. Distribute champagne to all attendees. Then, recite the following:

"For thousands of years, we have gone to sea. We have crafted vessels to carry us and we have called them by name. These ships will nurture and care for us through perilous seas, and so we affectionately call them "she." To them we toast, and ask to celebrate (the name of your boat)." Then everybody raises their chanmpagne glasses and shouts "TO THE SAILORS OF OLD…TO_________ (the name of your boat)."

Everybody takes a sip.

Then follow with: "The moods of the sea are many, from tranquil to violent. We ask that this ship be given the strength to carry on. The keel is strong and she keeps out the pressures of the sea." Again the glasses are raised, and the assemblage shouts, "TO THE SEA...TO THE SAILORS OF OLD...TO THE SEA!"

Everybody takes another sip.

Continue:"Today we come to name this lady_____________ (name of your boat), and send her to sea to be cared for, and to care for the __________ (name of your family) family. We ask the sailors of old and the mood of God that is the sea to accept ________________ (your boat's name) as her name, to help her through her passages, and allow her to return with her crew safely. " Again, with the raising of the glasses, "TO THE SEA...TO THE SAILORS BEFORE US...TO_________(the name of your boat)."

A last, long sip by all.

Now pour champagne over the bow to appease King Neptune, and lay a branch of green leaves on the deck to ensure safe returns. (This is when you break the bottle accross the bow. Buy at the follwing link Christening Bottle )

Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.

Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must apply the new name before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

I haven't had bad luck with changing the names on both my boats. Did a nice ceremony, little toasting, got a little toasted Sometimes you have to change the name, both my boats had names that were good for the PO, but if I had to keep those names I might not have bought them.

Back