Centre Pin Rod

I'm looking to buy a new rod for my centre pin. The 10.5 foot HMX that i'm using right now is way too short and stiff. It doesn't load very well and I have trouble with it. The only rod that i've found that fits what i'm looking for is the Sage that runs $600. Is there another option that isn't so expensive?

Thanks for any help.:)

I use a 10'6'' Trophy XL light weight noodle rod. Its nothin too fancy but its the best 100 bucks I ever spent on fishing. Its got a strong backbone that doesnt sacricfice any action for those chrome screamers.

I use a 10'6'' Trophy XL light weight noodle rod. Its nothin too fancy but its the best 100 bucks I ever spent on fishing. Its got a strong backbone that doesnt sacricfice any action for those chrome screamers.

Chev, do you find your rod a little short like I do? I was thinking of finding something in the 11.5-12 foot range. I 've found that I loose more fish when I first set the hook because it's slower to get the line in. I think a longer rod would help that and keep the line tight to the float.

Chev, do you find your rod a little short like I do? I was thinking of finding something in the 11.5-12 foot range. I 've found that I loose more fish when I first set the hook because it's slower to get the line in. I think a longer rod would help that and keep the line tight to the float.

I find that i can keep the line tight enough to the float that I dont miss too many fish because of it. Although with any centerpin reel it can be harder to catch up to the fish than it is with a levelwind. A longer rod might help with that a tiny bit but if I was that worried about landing every single steelhead that touches my gear, I would probably just use the levelwind (plus nothing annoys the others more than that Islander clicker just zingin away down on the quiet flow ;)). I like the shorter rod just because I fish a lot of area with lots of overhanging branches and crap liek that, a 12 foot rod just seems like too much effort to fish in places like those.

I find that i can keep the line tight enough to the float that I dont miss too many fish because of it. Although with any centerpin reel it can be harder to catch up to the fish than it is with a levelwind. A longer rod might help with that a tiny bit but if I was that worried about landing every single steelhead that touches my gear, I would probably just use the levelwind (plus nothing annoys the others more than that Islander clicker just zingin away down on the quiet flow ;)). I like the shorter rod just because I fish a lot of area with lots of overhanging branches and crap liek that, a 12 foot rod just seems like too much effort to fish in places like those.

Thanks for the input chev. I did mean that its harder to catch up to the fish than the level wind. I just have that problem when fishing those far away seams. Like u said though, there's nothing like that Islander screaming on the river.;)

Thanks for the input chev. I did mean that its harder to catch up to the fish than the level wind. I just have that problem when fishing those far away seams. Like u said though, there's nothing like that Islander screaming on the river.;)

Back