Centre Cabin walk around vs. Centre Console

Pacific Boats in Washington make a very clean looking boat. I flirted with the walk around cabin style that they build. They even have a variation with a sleeper option.

centre pilot house. 28 x 10'6 , twin 300's.. the dream..
Sounds like Bryce's hull.

I love a good center pilot house. I'm not willing to give up tables and my seating layout so I'd be after more volume. 31 X 12 would allow a cab beam of a standard 10'. They build em that size in the Alaska fleets. Might be triple worthy at that point.

@bryce
Your boat is pretty sweet. Where did you have it built? It's a Cope Pachena, right? What HP are you running? What kind of speed/burn/range do you get? Do you have a rear steering station or AP with remote? What's the tank next to the head?

Last edited:
What about a center cabin style boat with sliding doors on either side of the cabin beside the helm and passenger seat ? Open them up on nice days. Best of both worlds maybe.
That would be nice.

I saw a Pachena w/a on Cope's FB builds that had a door...

Screenshot_20240320-131430.png

It looks like Pacific Boats also has that on offer...

wa9-commercial-carousel23.jpg

@bryce
Your boat is pretty sweet. Where did you have it built? It's a Cope Pachena, right? What HP are you running? What kind of speed/burn/range do you get? Do you have a rear steering station or AP with remote? What's the tank next to the head?
28’6 Northwest aluminum they design there own
Running twin 300’s
I have a rear station
That is deseil tank for heater
Attached pictures of rear steering and fuel burn

Attachments

• IMG_9622.png
    IMG_9622.png
    590.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9621.png
    IMG_9621.png
    912.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9620.png
    IMG_9620.png
    598.5 KB · Views: 66
28’6 Northwest aluminum they design there own
Running twin 300’s
I have a rear station
That is deseil tank for heater
Attached pictures of rear steering and fuel burn

The fuel info is a little fuzzy on my phone but I think that's 14.1 Total Fuel Flow at 28 MPH SOG at ~3100 RPM. ie. ~2 miles/gallon... and WOT at +51 mph! Flying with those V8 Mercs! That's a sweet motor.

I didn't realize Doug made a walk around too... I know his builds are well regarded and I'll definitely have to look into it. Thanks so much for all your info.

The fuel info is a little fuzzy on my phone but I think that's 14.1 Total Fuel Flow at 28 MPH SOG at ~3100 RPM. ie. ~2 miles/gallon... and WOT at +51 mph! Flying with those V8 Mercs! That's a sweet motor.

I didn't realize Doug made a walk around too... I know his builds are well regarded and I'll definitely have to look into it. Thanks so much for all your info.
Anytime if you need anymore info or pics I’m happy to help! I agree the side door would be slick on the cab

That would be nice.

I saw a Pachena w/a on Cope's FB builds that had a door...

View attachment 104380

That Cope 26' was built by a fabricator extraordinaire in WA named Otto Rauch. All 3 doors slide in the cabin. Here is his Facebook page with some of his builds, worth looking at. This kid is amazing, even Bruce Cope marvels at his finished product.

76767471_101296904681698_3258132422327271424_n.jpg76997701_101296691348386_8354190670415527936_n.jpg76685023_101296861348369_7353595961987301376_n.jpg

Yeah. That boat is interesting. Built as a dive boat I think, but lots of nice details. I like his steering station and that doors are great. And the side entry door too... I think I just hope to have a transom door though.

Center cabin for sure. Can't beat the relief from the weather.

If you want some dream worthy builds check out cozier craft in Washington. Their 34 walk around with cuddy is my dream.

Or Brix/Armstrong has built some sweet cats with center cabin. Even side cab cat with landing front.

Love the side door ideas. I kind of like the idea of using the bow of the boat as a raised flat platform too, not euro sunbathing style but fly fishing from the bow using spot lock. My boat has a bubble in the cuddy so you can sit up, and the windlass get in the way. Not to derail from the walk around which I love too.

To stay under the luxury tax I bet you will have to get a build done from one of the independent welders, a couple are on the forum? You might also have to do some work yourself and buy things used. Not sure if you can get around it by buying new and installing yourself, I think if you buy and have your builder install you might still trip the tax man to come out and get you.

IMG_87961.jpeg

Back