Caught this in the ocean. Looks it had gone up river and then back out?

Hot-Streak

20211018_153912.jpg

20211018_153920.jpg

Was out in Sooke off beacher bay in 500ft of water. Gear was down 150ft when this guy hit.

He was very coloured. Looked like the Chum I'd see up river but not like the chrome ones I've seen in the ocean.

He was very thin and his milt sacks were all empty/lean.

Wondering if they go up river then go out to sea by accident sometimes?

Last edited:
looks like he went down a whales belly and said nope not today son!

Then he swam back out lol
Hahaha Yeah he looked so strange. I was like WTF??? fought like a ******* though. When he was down deep I thought I might have had a chinook. He didn't jump or shake like a coho and did a few good runs peeling line.

p.s. you back in BC now? get any fishing done lately?

6FFED461-3F0F-44AE-AF37-B9E37B3E8993.jpegChums get pretty coloured up. I’d say yours is definitely a local fish. These were from 2016 up in Browns Bay. Still great to smoke. Huge run that year.

just spitballing but i wonder if he spawned out and got pushed out to sea from a rain swollen river? my uncle and i were fishing a local river where we saw a large coho not doing too well in a shallow back eddy. next day we fished the estuary in the salt and there was this same poor coho finning along the surface. ( half his tail was gone - it was quite distinct) i can’t believe how tough these critters are

just spitballing but i wonder if he spawned out and got pushed out to sea from a rain swollen river? my uncle and i were fishing a local river where we saw a large coho not doing too well in a shallow back eddy. next day we fished the estuary in the salt and there was this same poor coho finning along the surface. ( half his tail was gone - it was quite distinct) i can’t believe how tough these critters are
I was wondering too if this fish came back out from the basin. The only thing was it had no rot and was a fighter BUT he did look thin(spawned out?) had some black on him and the teeth at the front were really pronounced.

View attachment 71628Chums get pretty coloured up. I’d say yours is definitely a local fish. These were from 2016 up in Browns Bay. Still great to smoke. Huge run that year.
Your chum look less coloured but more importantly they look round (plump) that one was like thin from the head to tail AND the teeth at the front really reminded me of a chum that has gone up the river.

With the big rain over the weekend, it's possible he ended up back out there, but it's hard to imagine he went out and not in with the rain. Chum colour up very quickly and this one might've been inside Whiffin but not up the river and decided to head back out for a bit. Or maybe he was in an estuary that turned out to not be the right one and that became evident only when the big rain pumped up the water levels. Pretty hard to know.

I've caught full on humped dinner plate pinkies in the salt, that chum is just arriving a little late to the party

A lot of creeks that should be loaded with salmon right now are just a trickle and void of fish. The clock is ticking for these fish. How long can they wait? Can they even find their creeks without significant water?
Walked up Craigflower last evening. Just a trickle, choked with fallen leaves.

A lot of creeks that should be loaded with salmon right now are just a trickle and void of fish. The clock is ticking for these fish. How long can they wait? Can they even find their creeks without significant water?
Walked up Craigflower last evening. Just a trickle, choked with fallen leaves.
Wow, crazy. I guess the blast of rain the rest of the island got over the weekend didn't land around here. That's too bad.

They tagged sockeye at the big bar slide that were caught weeks later in lower Fraser river gillnet fishery’s.

so I don’t think it’s a stretch that some weaklings get washed back out to sea
How does DFO know this? Did the FN gillnet fishers turn those tags in?

They tagged sockeye at the big bar slide that were caught weeks later in lower Fraser river gillnet fishery’s.

so I don’t think it’s a stretch that some weaklings get washed back out to sea
Catching then tagging probably takes too much energy from a lot of the fish to carry on their journey battling Fraser rapids to the home stream. Do we get to know how many were tagged and numbers found in home streams?

How does DFO know this? Did the FN gillnet fishers turn those tags in?

yes and I believe they got some Stuart tagged zombies at the test Albion test fishery.

none made it past the slide in 2019 and 2020 to their home rivers. Some were found on the streams below the slide but they would would not spawn successfully in Thoes habitats with out lakes.

it was all been posted on this fourm on slide thread or links provided

odd your asking these questions, I think you have asked them before. Lol

there is multiple year classes of sockeye and chinook that were completely blocked and lost

Last edited:
yes and I believe they got some Stuart tagged zombies at the test Albion test fishery.

none made it past the slide in 2019 and 2020 to their home rivers. Some were found on the streams below the slide but they would would not spawn successfully in Thoes habitats with out lakes.

there is multiple year classes of sockeye and chinook that were completely blocked and lost
I did not realize you were talking about prior years as I thought fish passed the slide very successfully this year causing DFO to halt the Fish Ladder. I was curious to know how many tagged fish came home after naturally passing the slide in 2021.

Also very sad that they did not immediatly stop netting once they saw Zombies going backwards.

Back