Catching a Salmon in Every Month of the Year

SFBC

Admin
Staff member
I was emailing back and forth with an uncle who retired quite a few years ago in the Nanoose Bay area and he told me of a goal he set for himself at the tender age of 76. He was inspired by a long time fishing buddy who accomplished the feat himself a few years ago. Now, with not as many fishing buddies left to hit the salt with, he is on a mission to catch at least one legal size Salmon in each month of this calendar year. I had not heard of this until a couple of days ago when he informed me that he is officially 6 for 6 and half way to achieving his goal.

His declaration got me thinking about what an amazing part of the world we live in that allows one to fish, and potentially catch, this brawny species any time of the year and I was reminded of the time he first introduced me, as a wide eyed 7 year old from the prairies, to the magnificence of the Pacific Ocean. My aunt and uncle lived in Powell River at the time and it was my first visit to the west coast. The tidal pools below the rock cliff their house was perched on were a constant source of wonder for me and my brother and sister, but the chance to go fishing was the highlight for sure. I don't really recall reeling in a Salmon on that trip but for a little kid who had only cast spoons for Pike or jigged for Perch and Walleye, this was a whole new world. And while my Dad and my uncle may have thought I wasn't quite ready to tame a Salmon on the end of the reel, I will never forget the feeling of landing the 14 lb. Yellow Eye that my aunt turned into the best fish and chips I have ever tasted. I am forever grateful for his kind introduction to fishing on the west coast.

I will update this as he moves through the last half of the year and am wondering how many of you have attempted or completed this feat?

Your story is very similar to mine, and I wish him the best of luck achieving his goal! I was born and raised on the prairies where we had a cabin in northern Sk and tossing spoons for pike for hrs everyday as a youngster and ice fishing in the winter. When in the city it was also quite common to see me standing in the front yard with my casting rod and a big spoon with the hook removed practicing getting some distance lol. When I was about 5 my family hit the road from Regina to visit my aunt and uncle and my cousins for the first time that i can remember, they operate Telegraph Cove south of McNeil. That place blew my mind! My uncle gave me a big meaty salt chuck spin caster to jig off his gas dock I was happier then a pig in **** dropping buzz bombs catching perch rock fish and the odd dog fish we went out on his boat and went for a troll and my first salmon was a 14# coho, thought it was the best thing ever. BC was the only place for me to end up in life. I thought of my uncle as being "the man" living the life. He sent me back to SK with that big rod and about 10 6" plugs that I would run to the other side of the back yard and stuff in the mud then stand up on the edge the deck dreaming of pulling up a chromer... Ever since then salt was in my veins and my passion for fishing was within.

Take kids fishin! It can be just that one day that changes ones life..

I think it's do-able , the only months where I would be skeptical are Oct/Nov
when the storms start to blow.
Oct. for Coho can be good, Nov. not so much although winter springs start arriving toward the end

What a great goal! Thanks for sharing. I'd only want to try for this once retired as some of those months the fishing is weather dependant. You would have to be available every window of opportunity.

Oct. for Coho can be good, Nov. not so much although winter springs start arriving toward the end

I was emailing back and forth with an uncle who retired quite a few years ago in the Nanoose Bay area and he told me of a goal he set for himself at the tender age of 76. He was inspired by a long time fishing buddy who accomplished the feat himself a few years ago. Now, with not as many fishing buddies left to hit the salt with, he is on a mission to catch at least one legal size Salmon in each month of this calendar year. I had not heard of this until a couple of days ago when he informed me that he is officially 6 for 6 and half way to achieving his goal.

His declaration got me thinking about what an amazing part of the world we live in that allows one to fish, and potentially catch, this brawny species any time of the year and I was reminded of the time he first introduced me, as a wide eyed 7 year old from the prairies, to the magnificence of the Pacific Ocean. My aunt and uncle lived in Powell River at the time and it was my first visit to the west coast. The tidal pools below the rock cliff their house was perched on were a constant source of wonder for me and my brother and sister, but the chance to go fishing was the highlight for sure. I don't really recall reeling in a Salmon on that trip but for a little kid who had only cast spoons for Pike or jigged for Perch and Walleye, this was a whole new world. And while my Dad and my uncle may have thought I wasn't quite ready to tame a Salmon on the end of the reel, I will never forget the feeling of landing the 14 lb. Yellow Eye that my aunt turned into the best fish and chips I have ever tasted. I am forever grateful for his kind introduction to fishing on the west coast.

I will update this as he moves through the last half of the year and am wondering how many of you have attempted or completed this feat?

Can be done for sure in the Campbell River area. It is possible to catch all 5 species of salmon in one day.
For those who wish to complete this one fish per month you have two choices, 12 salmon 1 per month in a
calendar year, or 1 per month in a licence year.

Whatever feat you attempt, be sure to keep your licence in a safe place to show your grandkids.

I hear ya Scott...it would be tough in the Victoria area where there is much more exposure to the stormy weather in the fall.

Back