carpfishing in BC

I recently visited the Alouette River in Maple Ridge in pursuit of Steelhead. An angler there caught what I assume is a decent sized carp (approx 5 lbs)in the fairly fast run we were fishing, and told me that in the Spring and Summer the lower end of the river actually has lots of them and they get "at least twice as big as this one".

He also told me that guys "hunt" for them with bows and arrows. Not much opportunity for catch & release there!

My assumption is that a fish that is set up to basically suck mud off the bottom isn't going to be much for table fare, yet I hear they are considered a delicacy in some middle European countries.

Not that intend to go after them (I'm a completely confirmed salmonid snob) but to satisfy my curiosity... has anyone eaten a carp lately?

Strong knots

Bob

quote:My assumption is that a fish that is set up to basically suck mud off the bottom isn't going to be much for table fare, yet I hear they are considered a delicacy in some middle European countries.

Eatin' Carp are fed a special grain based diet and are raised more or less 'by hand'

that's why there's a warranty!

quote:My assumption is that a fish that is set up to basically suck mud off the bottom isn't going to be much for table fare, yet I hear they are considered a delicacy in some middle European countries.

Eatin' Carp are fed a special grain based diet and are raised more or less 'by hand'

around the chilliwack area,you will find very large amounts of carp.
i would say at least 60percent of our side waters have carp in them.
and we do have some big ones!
give it a toss cant hurt.

kevinsc

kevinsc

kevinsc

kevinsc

Is carping limited to the summer months?

I'm curious if they should be targetted like you would bass with respect to water temperature and depth.

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

I'm curious if they should be targetted like you would bass with respect to water temperature and depth.

Cheers,
Alex

Cheers,
Alex

Cheers,
Alex

Carp fishing is usually more prolific during late summer/early fall when fish can be taken on surface fished baits (the most exiting method of fishing you will probably encounter). As the water temp cools then the fishing slows, however this is when the really big fish should be targeted as they attempt to pack on weight for the winter. Methods can be as complicated as "helicopter rigs" with hair rigged boilies (high protien balls of bait boiled until surface skin). If some of you get chance to check out the UK carp fishing websites you will find some of the most elaborate methods concocted to catch this very prized quarry.

Carp fishing is usually more prolific during late summer/early fall when fish can be taken on surface fished baits (the most exiting method of fishing you will probably encounter). As the water temp cools then the fishing slows, however this is when the really big fish should be targeted as they attempt to pack on weight for the winter. Methods can be as complicated as "helicopter rigs" with hair rigged boilies (high protien balls of bait boiled until surface skin). If some of you get chance to check out the UK carp fishing websites you will find some of the most elaborate methods concocted to catch this very prized quarry.

I've actually made boilies to target the carp in the Langley area. I'll try the technique at Elk lake by the northwest end (weeded area) and see what I come up with.

Alex

I've actually made boilies to target the carp in the Langley area. I'll try the technique at Elk lake by the northwest end (weeded area) and see what I come up with.

Alex

Alex

Back