Carp fishing in Beaver Lk

I

Iceberg

I have been fishing quite a bit in the mouth of Beaver Lake, intending on catching some bass. I have seen some massive fish swimming in schools. Figured they must be Carp. Are these Carp? If so, wondering if anybody has tips on how to catch these monsters. Thanks

Iceberg

Yeah those would be the carp. Hear they are tipping the scales at around 20 some odd pounds. I researched methods from back east and Europe to hook into a coule of these slabs. Quite the art to taking these things consistently. Down side is that any really effective means of bringing these fish in are considered illeagle in our waters. I mixed up a wonderful smelling concoction of cornmeal, sweet corn, and strawberry jello mix that was to be used to make softball sized chunks to chum the area between Beaver and Elk. Apparently that is a NO NO. With a good pair of polarized glasses you can actually see the game trails these fish have carved out while foraging the bottom. This is where you want your baited rig to fall and sit while waiting for a slab to come up on it. The fish graze like cows. It takes alot of patience. I tried it and caught about a hundred catfish in only a few hours. Lots of LARGE carp around but no hookups. The big problem is that your baitrig gets all messed up with milfoil before it hits bottom. A trick they use use back east and in Europe is a desolving gel sac that contains your rig. Once it punches it's way through the milfoil it sits nicley on the bottom. It eventually dissolves fully leaving a perfectly placed rig just ready for old carp to suck it up.

Give it a shot. Let me know how you do.

Mark

I have hooked a number of very large Carp up to 20 lbs in the Colorado River during our annual Snowbird winter trip. Most of these hook ups have been incidental while bottom bouncing Anchovy for Striped Bass. I had one memorable hook up on my 5 weight fly rod while inching a big leech along the bottom. It was no contest! Also, there are a number of flyfishers who cast for Carp in the shallow backwaters of Okanogan Lake. They will take a small white fly cast on a dry or neutral sink line. It takes stealth and plenty of patience.
KDC Nymph

quote:How is carp for table fare? Has anyone ate these ...wonderful fish?

Believe me, not worth a try. Terribly bony and softish meat. Good fighters though and tricky to catch...

Like any species. If you know how it's not that tricky.

I wouldn't eat one. .........No way. Not unless I saw a restaurant serve one first and it be known as delicious.

Back