Career change advice

Don't do anything that relies on you being paid by the hour.
Maybe, but lawyers, accountants and consultants make millions through billable hours. A relative makes $500K per year on billable hours. I can't knock that. However, in the trades, piece-work is certainly better for the highly productive people.

Maybe, but lawyers, accountants and consultants make millions through billable hours. A relative makes $500K per year on billable hours. I can't knock that. However, in the trades, piece-work is certainly better for the highly productive people.
I figured anyone asking for career advice on a fishing forum wouldn't command a $250 per hour billout.

Billable hours might sound lucrative but remember that that is the top line not the bottom line, and it has to support the whole operation.

If you can bill 1800 hours a year that means you are billing 16800 hours /46 weeks (six weeks off i.e a month's vacation plus stat holidays)

46 times 5 days gives you 230 billable days

1800/230= 7.8 billable hours a day. That is a 10-13 hour day in the office (if you are super efficient ) Basically from when you leave for work until you start to bill depends on your commute.

In your example your relative is likely billing a million a year to have a taxable income of 500K after expenses.

If it takes you an hour from when you walk out the door at home till you start your meter at work in 1 hour you are now looking at adding 2 more hours on non production a day

When you bill time there is no overtime you just bill at your regular rate. Some clients will want a fixed cost for a project and that always cuts your billable hours charged versus the hours you worked on the file.

The financial leverage occurs on billable hours happens you have other staff who also bill their time on a file and their annual billings are greater than their total compensation.

Some of my pals bill over 2,000 hours in a year and bill out at 1200-1500 hour. Many are on marriage #2 and are all working on dying early .

Billable hours might sound lucrative but remember that that is the top line not the bottom line, and it has to support the whole operation.

If you can bill 1800 hours a year that means you are billing 16800 hours /46 weeks (six weeks off i.e a month's vacation plus stat holidays)

1800/230= 7.8 billable hours a day. That is a 10-13 hour day in the office (if you are super efficient ) Basically from when you leave for work until you start to bill depends on your commute.

In your example your relative is likely billing a million a year to have a taxable income of 500K after expenses.

If it takes you an hour from when you walk out the door at home till you start your meter at work in 1 hour you are now looking at adding 2 more hours on non production a day

When you bill time there is no overtime you just bill at your regular rate. Some clients will want a fixed cost for a project and that always cuts your billable hours charged versus the hours you worked on the file.

The financial leverage occurs on billable hours happens you have other staff who also bill their time on a file and their annual billings are greater than their total compensation.

Some of my pals bill over 2,000 hours in a year and bill out at 1200-1500 hour. Many are on marriage #2 and are all working on dying early .
Could be but this relative just saw their $40 million business sold and he is one of five shareholders. Pretty nice for a 41 year old guy.

Could be but this relative just saw their $40 million business sold and he is one of five shareholders. Pretty nice for a 41 year old guy.

That is very, very nice for all the partners.

I expect that they had something of far great value to sell than billable hours and a client list.

Intellectual property, patents, the answer to the age old question, "What do women really mean when they tell/ask men something."

I thought about seeing it through for Partner in accounting (made it all the way to Senior Manager). But to me, life is way too short. You are always at the mercy of your client list. Work really hard for Jan through June regardless. The rest of the year you need to plan. Additionally, if a client calls and has a transaction or some other matter....doesn't matter if you are on vacation or not you end up having to get involved someway.

That is very, very nice for all the partners.

I expect that they had something of far great value to sell than billable hours and a client list.

Intellectual property, patents, the answer to the age old question, "What do women really mean when they tell/ask men something."
Yes, almost 70 years of pondering that question. And the other one: All alone, driving down the highway and no woman to hear me. I begin talking to myself. Dr. Phil, why do I still feel so guilty and wrong?

Life is a collection of decisions made. I never begrudge those who have done well. Wise risk takers, and yes sometimes lucky ones, usually end up making a lot more cheddar than those who opt for jobs or more conservative decisions around careers. More power to them, capitalism rewards people who make good decisions.

Life is a collection of decisions made. I never begrudge those who have done well. Wise risk takers, and yes sometimes lucky ones, usually end up making a lot more cheddar than those who opt for jobs or more conservative decisions around careers. More power to them, capitalism rewards people who make good decisions.
Fortune favors the brave.

Back