Career change advice

CanuckGame

Hey guys,

I'm in my early 30s with a young family, and I have been stagnated at my current job for 12 years with zero progression. I'm making anywhere between 50-60k/year. Enough to survive and save a little, but not a lot left to make memories with the kids.

With the way the world has been headed, and how expensive everything is getting I feel like I need to make a serious change in order to give my family the lives they deserve.

Reason I'm making this post here is because this forum is composed mainly of west coast, Vancouver Island guys who I'm sure come from many different industries so it seems like a decent place to get some advice.
I'm not afraid of going back to school, and I'm not afraid of a long road as long the end result is setting my family up financially to enjoy anything they could ever want to do in their lives.

I love the ocean, and would love to work with or around the ocean but it seems like the aquaculture or hatchery industry doesnt pay any more than I make now. I was also on the workbc website and came across this career that seems to have some demand in the future. Does anyone here work in this type of industry?

Have any of you guys made a change in your 30s? And if so do you have any career ideas that could be a smart move to make? I would love to work around the ocean but I'm open to anything. I'm not afraid of hard work or whatever it takes to change my families life.

Thanks for your time.

Tug boat, work your way into a week on week off working only 6months a year and make over 100k doing it in time. Lots of opportunities on our coast. Can get started by looking into your bridge watchmen course at Bcit. If I was to change now that’s the route I would go.

Don’t be frightened to change jobs. Don’t be frightened to completely change your career direction. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 changes to find the right job, boss and company. When the boss asks you if you want more responsibility the answer should be yes. Try to trade up salary in increments of 20% if you can. There is endless opportunities for someone in your age group right now and you’ve got 30 years to build experience wealth and your career still. Differentiate yourself from others. People today seem to say no to added responsibility and tell companies how they will work. That’s placed power in the hands of the employee for sure, but, if you’re a guy who says ya ill help out…..I think employers are starting to see the value in that because it’s not the norm now. Don’t underestimate the value transferable skills. You might be able to go into a completely different job/industry with zero experience and find your previous skills give you an advantage or at least a foothold into a new one. Wish I was 30 again, I‘do everything differently. That’s a great time to start thinking about career change. Good luck.

Very different than anything you seem to be interested in but you could do a part time massage therapy course and once graduated make 80k+ depending on how much you want to work.

BC Ferries has an extreme staff shortage.
I have no experience with any employees or anything, so cannot comment on opportunity to advance.
I assume it is all about sea time.

Why not retrain as a marine mechanic? ZERO shortage of work, that's for sure! I always say to my kids they should stay out of IT but its been a great industry for our family for sure, and I tell the kids that to steer them towards a career as a physiotherapist to fix my aching back for "free".

If I was young I would retrain into a refrigeration mechanic, they make over $100,000 per year. You can get started with the pre apprentice training which I think is 6 months and then most companies will pay for your yearly trade school courses and wages while you attend each year, it’s a great career. You just need good problem solving skills to trouble shoot issues.

BC Ferries or tugboat would be a great way, on the water, a chance for advancement. Self employment has rewards not measured in dollars and cents, however there is no pension, no benefits, no retirement incentives, you would be better off with a career/job with benefits as you have a family to care for. I did a career change at 45 years old. Went from self employed to self employed! Trust me on the pension, retirement comments, it was all up to me most of the way in my life.

I say this in jest but I wonder how happy they are with their jobs as you NEVER see anyone smiling when on a ferry; noticed that this past Sunday. :) ;)
I know a lot of people that work on the ferries and the reports I get from them is morale is horrible.

Get your sea captains ticket
Or refrigeration mechanic as mentioned earlier. Heat pumps are going to be the preferred heat source going into the future and if the ones I have owned are any example the always seem to need some attention from an expensive technician.

We are always looking for good people in IT. We are constantly turning away work because we cannot find tech's.
This is true for all our customers and industries we work with. Specialize in neworks or security and you can make $100k + in a few years if your good. Lots of municpalites, governments, and school districts looking for IT people as well. Money is not as good there but better hours and pensions.
One thing about IT is there are jobs everywhere. I would love to work on the water but if life events forced you to move to say, the praries, then your job does not go with you. I can work from anywhere too. I have been on my boat fishing while on conference calls. Was on a video chat once and people were asking why is the horizon moving back and forth? :)

Last edited:
I know a lot of people that work on the ferries and the reports I get from them is morale is horrible.
Can confirm. The pandemic has been pretty tough for the crew with shortages, illnesses, customer abuse, etc... lots of OT being worked and many long hours on the vessels.

Back