Caravan to campbell river

Osama Bin Hopper

Well guys, lets do this.

There is no question that the more media attention garnished, the more pressure on the politicians to respond.

The second last meeting is in Nanaimo on the 18th and the last meeting is on the 19th in Campell River. Imagine if we caravaned from Nanaimo to Campell River and attended this meeting EN MASSE. It's Duncan's home riding, it has a large sportfishing community and it's the LAST MEETING that will be held.

I know it's gonna cost guys some time, not to mention some dollars, but no victory comes without cost. If it could be so small as just time and a few bucks we should be so happy. An Island - wide show of solidarity will covet press in all the local papers, Vancouvers rags and national attention as well. Overwhelming the venue with more people than it can hold, causing a back up on the inland highway as the vehicles crawl north for the showdown...

I have spoken to some of you by telephone prior to this posting, and the support for the idea seems to be there. We will co-ordinate meetup times from Victoria to Duncan to Nanaimo, Comox, then off to war. There will be vehicles coming from Bamfield that we'd have connect with the Port guys, Ucy and Tofino guys then on to meet the main body of the Caravan. Anyone prepared to help with coordination please send me a message.

Please carry this message with you to the other forums, your social networking pages and anywhere you may encounter a sports angler who stands to lose out.

If we lose this battle, we will lose them all.

See you ALL on the 19th!

Look out CR.

I am in Rabbi.
Will commit to taking The Missuz' car (just have to find the sufficient bribe ;))
I will await those coming from Bamfield before setting out, and travel along with you. Should be able to offer a ride for any from Port Alberni or points between there and Campbell River along the way. Can accommodate up to 3 riders, four if the Ladz in the backseat are skinny enough... :D Of course contributions to fuel (very economical btw) would be certainly appreciated!

Let's get in on this one Ladz. Time to let them know we are DAMN SERIOUS about this matter. And overdue to put the engineer of the process that initiated this fiasco, one John Duncan that is, On Notice: get with us, or GET OUT!

Looking Forward!
Matt

Im in Victoria if anyone has a seat open I would love to know as travelling that far on my own is not so economical.

Lipripper- If your in we could carpool?

-Steve

Im in. I can take a van or the jeep from Comox. Anyone who needs a ride, shoot me a pm. I will also be going down to nanaimo the night before if anyone wants to tag along.

Just returned from our local Chamber of Commerce meeting.

They voted to send letters on behalf of small to medium sized business in our community.

Seriously if we all keep at this we can do it.

Nog, fishflyguy and lorneparker thanks for jumping out right away, we are going and you are the first to join us. Thank you.

Lipripper - cmon man I promise you some fun after the meeting!

gonna be packed get there early

huge contingent headin uo from comox valley....check this load of crap from the usual mouthpiece...apparently he works for this paper now....gonna wipe my butt with it from now on....it was in todays Comox Valley paper....for those of you who don't know the "ardent angler" is a weekly column in the Campbell River by a local guide

The Ardent Angler is off base on halibut allocations

Dave Boyes
Comox Valley Echo

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Another column from Jeremy Maynard, Ardent Angler, but really a commercial sports halibut operator; another vested interest rant from a fishing guide purporting to speak for the independent angler ( North Islander, Dec. 14/10)

There are two commercial halibut fisheries in BC- the traditional (120 years) commercial fishery which takes the fish to the people, and the new commercial fishery, which takes a much smaller number of people, to the fish. Both depend upon access to the public halibut resource to make money.

The Ardent Angler is in the new commercial halibut category and would like to grow his business by appropriating access from Canadians in the traditional halibut fishery at a time of cyclically declining stocks. He wants other, long established Canadian businesses to shrink so his can grow.

The traditional commercial halibut fishery became limited access in 1979 when DFO issued 435 licences. The commercial sports halibut fishery was essentially non-existent at this time.

The Canadian allowable harvest of halibut was fully subscribed then, as it has been since, and the allowable catch has been taken every year since. Over the past 31 years, virtually all of these have changed hands, at market value as Canadians bought and sold these licences in the course of their lives. There is no 'free' or 'gifted' fish that was unearned, or unpaid for.

Commercial halibut fishing businesses must pay an annual DFO licence fee and substantial at-sea and dockside monitoring costs. Businesses such as those run by the Ardent Angler do not pay any fee to DFO for do they pay any of the costs of monitoring their fishery.

Ardent may not like it, but the halibut resource is fully subscribed (as above), and has been since 1979. If Ardent wants to grow his business, there is a proposal to make traditional commercial halibut quota available to commercial sports halibut business such as his by acquiring it in the open market.

Quota changes hands at market value every day as current fishermen, such as myself, expand their operations while others retire and sell out. This is how the Canadian economy works.

I suggest that Ardent and his colleagues encourage their SFAB representatives to support the adoption of this proposal, so that he can acquire quota at the same price, and under the same regulatory regime as the traditional commercial halibut fisherman. However, Ardent's position will likely be, why pay for increased access when he can rant and rave and get it for free.

Another factor that Ardent has glossed over is that the government of Canada has purchased and distributed almost 20% of the total Canadian commercial quota to increase First Nations economic opportunities, and in anticipation of the settlement of treaties. Ardent wants some of this fish for his business too, without compensating First Nations or the Canadian taxpayer.

The lodge and charter sector of the recreational halibut fishery, which is the commercial sports halibut fishery, catches about 69% of the total recreational allocation of halibut, leaving just 31% for the real "ardent anglers". If Ardent will just buck up and pay to get into the halibut business, independent anglers will thank him for it, as there will be more halibut for them.

Perhaps then he'll cease his monotonous haranguing of our hard working MP John Duncan over the 2003 Halibut Allocation Policy which was a result of a fair and independent process in which Ardent's SFAB was a fully engaged participant.

Dave Boyes

Courtenay
© Comox Valley Echo 2011

http://www2.canada.com/comoxvalleye....html?id=1688630c-d1f7-48f8-bde1-62ac859c0ad8

Cheers,

Oh sure...how come, just before bed, I read this crap knowing that I will not be able to sleep. I will be calling the said Mr. Boyes tomorrow as well as his editor.

Now...hot milk and a hot tub might help relax me.... LOL

Cheers All,

And I intend to attend the meeting in Campbell River and would be interested in carpooling from Nanaimo. Let me know....

Well boys, Im in.

Ill be driving from Parksville and would be happy to drive 1 or 2 other people (small truck), or would be more then happy to bumb a ride and split some gas and possibly a tims trip haha feel free to drop a pm.

I feel like we need as many people as we can to go to this, strength in numbers in this deal!!

Bump: There must be way more than just me reading this thing wen they should be working.

Ok, so we got some bodies moving anyhow! Cmon guys lets crank it up.

Doesn't sound like the turnout was as great as hoped in Ukee.

Ok, so we got some bodies moving anyhow! Cmon guys lets crank it up.

Doesn't sound like the turnout was as great as hoped in Ukee.

Ukee turnout was not too bad considering the population and the weather, but should have and could have been far more recreational Halibut anglers.
Good to hear many of you from Port are heading to CR....Will be there too.

J.

I agree Jay, for winter...

Unfortunalely the bulk of the enormous fleets that fish out of there only arrive for the glory months I assume, just like here in Bam!

To bad your summer pop and bux aren't around right now!!!

See ya in CR.

Jeff

I will be up there too! Trying to drag a few others along!

Last edited by a moderator:
Two spots left out of Port. The RoadMaster will be ridin' shotgun ;)

C'mon Ladz, let's Rock this one!!

Cheers,
Nog

so whats the word? How many vehicles do we have how many people? is there a firm plan?
I thought maybe this would light rite up???

Four of us in one small vehicle. Wish we had room for more- A large turnout is extermely important

Back