Capilano River and fishing in and near Vancouver

F

franskiel

Hey guys,

I'll be visiting some family in Vancouver in about 10 days and was hoping to make the most of the excellent salmon and trout fishing offered in British Columbia.
I probably wont have access to a car, so are there any good places i could get to by public transport from the city?
So far I've found the Capilano River Regional Park, which seems like a good shout and pretty accessible.
Also what would be the best method of fishing at this time of year? was hoping to mainly do some fly fishing, but any method would be great!

Any information on flies, bait and the fish that I should go after would be great

many thanks

There is a small run of Steelhead, in the Cap, catch and release only, but it will be winding down soon and the fish will be in the hatchery or on their redds spawning. Then, you have a small run of early season Coho in May and June. I would try float fishing or like you said fly. Stop in to Highwater Tackle in NV, they will help.

Rice Lake in the Seymour demonstration forest is stocked with trout. You can take a Lynn Valley BC Transit bus up Lynn Valley Rd. and walk to it from the entrance to Lynn Headwaters. Plus you could try some of the spots along Lynn Canyon.

Salmon from shore will be tough this time of year, but FA is right and there is stocked trout in Rice Lake in North Vancouver.

Try casting off of the area that sticks out, you can find it just north of the public dock on the east side of the lake...when you cross over a 5 foot long wooden foot bridge, you have found it!

I get the most fish casting north west off of that point.

Tight lines!

Also - go see Dave, Matt, or Gill at Highwater Tackle on 2nd and Lonsdale and they will sort you out... good people with lots of local knowledge.. can't go wrong there.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a small run of Steelhead, in the Cap, catch and release only, but it will be winding down soon and the fish will be in the hatchery or on their redds spawning. Then, you have a small run of early season Coho in May and June. I would try float fishing or like you said fly. Stop in to Highwater Tackle in NV, they will help.

Hey thanks for the reply! my account wasnt working and my email wasnt recognised so i made a new one!

would you say that its a bad time to be fishing right now then?

I will certainly pay them a visit it seems they are highly recommended on this forum and my usual UK forum!
but in the meantime could you advise me on the main flies i could use, so that i can get tyin!

Salmon from shore will be tough this time of year, but FA is right and there is stocked trout in Rice Lake in North Vancouver.

Try casting off of the area that sticks out, you can find it just north of the public dock on the east side of the lake...when you cross over a 5 foot long wooden foot bridge, you have found it!

I get the most fish casting north west off of that point.

Tight lines!

Also - go see Dave, Matt, or Gill at Highwater Tackle on 2nd and Lonsdale and they will sort you out... good people with lots of local knowledge.. can't go wrong there.

Rice Lake in the Seymour demonstration forest is stocked with trout. You can take a Lynn Valley BC Transit bus up Lynn Valley Rd. and walk to it from the entrance to Lynn Headwaters. Plus you could try some of the spots along Lynn Canyon.

Hey I have wondering about lyn creek because I couldnt find much on fishing there, online. would it be a better option than the capilano river?
and is fishing at rice lake free or is there a charge from the fishery?
and also could you tell me what flies would be best, so i can get tying!

many thanks

Fishing the lake doesn't have a specific fee, but you will need a non-tidal angling license.

It can be acquired online.. Search "DFO freshwater license" or something of the sort.

My fly rod is really just a nice looking item in my closet, so I am not the correct person to get fly fishing advice from.

Try calling Highwater during normal business hours, they will be able to advise you on where to fish during your stay.

The snow pack is very minimal and there hasn't been much rain, so this might impact the fishing... again, HW will know best :)

Back