Capilano river 2013

Fishing24/7

I live on Bowen Island and have never fished in the capilano river, im geussing coho fishing would be good right about now and id like to hook up into a few. Any have any wisdom they could share? Thanks.

And by the way i would be using a spin cast rod, havent yet learned the art of the fly.
Thanks.

I live on Bowen Island and have never fished in the capilano river, im geussing coho fishing would be good right about now and id like to hook up into a few. Any have any wisdom they could share? Thanks.

And by the way i would be using a spin cast rod, havent yet learned the art of the fly.
Thanks.

I was there yesterday and a few guys were up at the cable pool (hatchery). You can see the coho but they're not biting.

I have never fished another river like the Capilano. Lots of fish, very few biters. If you need to learn patience and persistence, its a great place. Beautiful too.

I lived beside the Cap for 15 years and fished it daily. The fishery is really water dependent. As the water gets lower, the fish get skittish , especially in the area around Cable pool. They will stall out in the deep pools and aren't really active . An overnight rain will get them back to biting.

At this time of year, look for a high tide overnight as that will send a pulse of fish in, if there is adequate water at the mouth. Then fish it in early morning from railway reach (fullerton Bridge area) up to the highway bridge. Then just above the highway bridge to the bottom of the Canyon. This is really classic shallow water riffle fishing. Fishing close to shore and behind rocks.

You probably can't see fish but they can see you. So try to be stealthy and fish from the top of the bank when possible. Use small chunks of roe and wool or blades. Difficult conditions yes , but not impossible.

Back