Canucks 2023-2024 season

Fun to be in the building tonight for hockey night in Canada. The atmosphere in the arena was electric after that first goal went in, felt like a playoff game in the 3rd period and overtime. First two periods were hard to enjoy though. Atleast we finished strong 💪🏼
It's a great way to welcome the Bruins' new captain to Vancouver! So nice to get a win after that road trip.

Curious on thoughts about Petey? My take, amazing talent but not worth 11 million. He can control the flow of a game against SanJose, Anahiem ext ext... but we have been down this road before in likes of Naslund, Sedins. Easily stunned by bigger, rough talent teams.
He has 7 goals of 29 this year against teams worthy of playoffs.

Agree mostly about your Petey comments as he does disappear but at the same time he is considered a top 6 center in the league. Really tough to replace and let’s face it he necessarily hasn’t had top end support on his line. The Lotto line as a winger is where the best fit is in my opinion.
Contract extension wise, $11-12m I surely hope is not in the cards as that’s Matthew’s, McJesus and McKinnon $$$. Mariner at $10.5 is possibly a comparable but still on the high side as Tkachuk $9.5 is what I would like to see. If Petey chooses to go to UFA reluctantly trade him this summer and somehow acquire a young top end center prospect and high draft picks.
I think this year’s playoffs will give management a real clear indication of where they would like to be. Personally I hope Petey goes all in and has an outstanding playoffs. We also don’t want another Markstrom, Tanev,Toffoli nightmare do we!!

You know Canucks management, they love tossing money at the Swedes. Sedins both walked into the playoffs with a combined 200 points in 2011. Combined games vs Sanjose and Boston in playoffs at 27 games and combined goals 4. Tough for me to accept having strong talent without that internal drive Canadian players have. ^ agree 9-10 million would be great.

Everyone always ignores the fact that high end talent is defended hard in the playoffs. That's why depth is what wins you the cup. So guys like Petey do play a roll in keeping the top defenseman occupied. I thinks it's only natural for their production to fall off in the playoffs for that reason. Very very few players in history have carried teams on their backs in that way, and it rarely lasts to the finish line.

Agree mostly about your Petey comments as he does disappear but at the same time he is considered a top 6 center in the league. Really tough to replace and let’s face it he necessarily hasn’t had top end support on his line. The Lotto line as a winger is where the best fit is in my opinion.
Contract extension wise, $11-12m I surely hope is not in the cards as that’s Matthew’s, McJesus and McKinnon $$$. Mariner at $10.5 is possibly a comparable but still on the high side as Tkachuk $9.5 is what I would like to see. If Petey chooses to go to UFA reluctantly trade him this summer and somehow acquire a young top end center prospect and high draft picks.
I think this year’s playoffs will give management a real clear indication of where they would like to be. Personally I hope Petey goes all in and has an outstanding playoffs. We also don’t want another Markstrom, Tanev,Toffoli nightmare do we!!
While im sure Petey will get his stack, I can’t see an 11 or 12 m aav when Miller is more consistent and a physical force at 8 m

I totally agree with you on the Miller/Petey comment but we’ll be backing up the Brinks truck for #40. William Nylander just signed an 8 year /92 million contract with an AAV of 11.5 mil and he’s an older winger. Petterson being a more sought after and viewed as a more valuable centre, will get and is asking for more than that. With the salary cap forecasted to go up next year, I’m sure his camp is asking for an AAV of between 12-13 mil. I would like to see him sign for Miller money, but that’s just not going to be the case. Hopefully he has a productive playoff run and we can feel better about whatever his new contract is going to be.

Last edited:
Everyone always ignores the fact that high end talent is defended hard in the playoffs. That's why depth is what wins you the cup. So guys like Petey do play a roll in keeping the top defenseman occupied. I thinks it's only natural for their production to fall off in the playoffs for that reason. Very very few players in history have carried teams on their backs in that way, and it rarely lasts to the finish line.
Yup, the cup is usually won by the team with the best/least injured 3rd and 4th lines because the star forwards are so heavily marked.

In any pro sport, playoffs tactics are almost always centered on defence. This is highlighted in the NHL with its laughably long playoff season where half of the teams get in anyway.

Curious on thoughts about Petey? My take, amazing talent but not worth 11 million. He can control the flow of a game against SanJose, Anahiem ext ext... but we have been down this road before in likes of Naslund, Sedins. Easily stunned by bigger, rough talent teams.
He has 7 goals of 29 this year against teams worthy of playoffs.
He really reminds me of Pavel Bure with his indifference to wanting to be in Vancouver.

He really reminds me of Pavel Bure with his indifference to wanting to be in Vancouver.
I don’t necessarily see it as indifference. He is a quiet personality and is doing nothing more than what he said back in the summer he would do - play the season, focus on winning and deal with the contract in the summer. I can understand his desire to play for a winner and to see if that is what the Canucks are, or will be, while he’s still in his prime. He did admit that the negotiations for his last contract were a distraction which he feels affected his play. I can understand why he would try to avoid that this time around. This will be the biggest decision in his career, I actually admire his resolve to stick with his plan. I get frustrated with the media blowing this up, I think it can actually negatively affect the team/player relationship if it gets out of hand.

I don’t necessarily see it as indifference. He is a quiet personality and is doing nothing more than what he said back in the summer he would do - play the season, focus on winning and deal with the contract in the summer. I can understand his desire to play for a winner and to see if that is what the Canucks are, or will be, while he’s still in his prime. He did admit that the negotiations for his last contract were a distraction which he feels affected his play. I can understand why he would try to avoid that this time around. This will be the biggest decision in his career, I actually admire his resolve to stick with his plan. I get frustrated with the media blowing this up, I think it can actually negatively affect the team/player relationship if it gets out of hand.
He's just another self centered entitled athlete holding out for a max contract. He doesn't care if there is any money left over to sign other players.

And yet he wants to play for a winning team!!

Back