Canucks 2023-2024 season

Not gonna lie, I’m pretty stoked about the Canucks getting Zadorov. Alvin has substantially increased the size and talent of the defense since last season following the Golden Knights formula
Yup, really like the trade. Good on Alvin for creating the cap space and then not getting fleeced-by a divisional rival. Looks real good on the Leafs who are down 3 defensemen and zero cap space. Toronto media is on suicide watch as we speak trying to now justify they should be looking higher. Zadorov is a very big reasonability talented boy who makes Garland and Hogs 6” taller and hopefully reduces Myers TOI.

Yup, really like the trade. Good on Alvin for creating the cap space and then not getting fleeced-by a divisional rival. Looks real good on the Leafs who are down 3 defensemen and zero cap space. Toronto media is on suicide watch as we speak trying to now justify they should be looking higher. Zadorov is a very big reasonability talented boy who makes Garland and Hogs 6” taller and hopefully reduces Myers TOI.
Myers is for sure on the trading block. I don’t see them re-signing him. Might as well trade soon instead of letting him go for nothing in the off season. Garland is likely gone too. Gotta pay Petey and hronek.

Next year isn’t too bad but the following two years have some bad cap situations when we pay 4mil to OEL. Better make the best of these next two years

I agree Zadorov is a good addition for minimal cost , too much ice time for the bottom D , Soucy being out really hurts the Canucks , upping Myers ice time just shows how bad he is , the penalty for being slow which lead to the 3 goal on the pp and that was it for the Canucks last night , unlikely i think they'll trade him this year , they need depth and as a 6th guy hes ok , i agree Garland is likely gone too , not sure it'll be this year either , gotta have guys for the playoffs

On another note , it's kinda weird watching the Canucks this year , they usually are playing fast and forchecking well , couple of bad games but ... , i'm used to just fast forwarding the games , it's actually entertaining now , strange

I like the Zadorov deal but they have to keep his minutes to about 19. More than that and he starts to go under water; he can be a bit error-prone from what I’ve seen, a bit like Myers. I hope they don’t see him as a top four guy because I don’t think he’s that. If the d-corp can stay healthy after Soucy returns, they can use Zadorov as a 5-6 guy and I think that would give them a third pairing they can get good minutes out of and not have to shelter (like they’re doing with Friedman).

Hey Myers (OMG), kudos for your assist on the Devils first period goal. Impressive. To the press box please. EP40 what’s going on with you? Looks more and more like the Canucks are headed to be a team of pretenders at a 500 pace. Defensively, Bantam hockey out there with Demko on an off night but at the same time being held out to dry. On a positive note, Millers line played well especially when Hogs replaced Kuz.

Last edited:
All the good things we were seeing earlier have returned to last year’s form. They’re not cutting off the cross-ice seam passes like they were earlier in the season, the defensive zone awareness that was so sound early in the season has lapsed into last year’s pond hockey confusion, they forecheck well one game and then not the next. Most surprising to me is the regression of the PK to last year’s level, despite the turnover of players. I don’t think it’s coaching because we saw they knew what to do early in the season. It’s just a lack of execution. The big question is: how long does this last? They bought themselves some time with the great start but do they right the ship soon, or do the wheels fall off and they go into a 5-6 game losing streak that jeopardizes the season?

To fight their way back the way they did last night, but then fail to wrest momentum away from the Devils and play the last 2 1/2 minutes in such an atrocious way is inexcusable. Terrible decision-making in their own end, soft ring-arounds with wingers out of position, panicked icings one-after-another. It was exasperating to watch.

It is so hard to be a Canucks fan.

Nice tribute to Loungo last night even though there’s a few warts with how it all went down prior. Still kinda like the idea of Loungo and McLean sharing a rafter spotlight.
3rd period was a bit sloppy but overall the defence size and strength is finally showing its nastiness. Zuborov‘s bite seems contagious. Case in point Tkachuk usually feasts on us but was invisible last night.
Tuff road trip ahead with 2 nooners, one back to back, never in Leaf land.

Nice tribute to Loungo last night even though there’s a few warts with how it all went down prior. Still kinda like the idea of Loungo and McLean sharing a rafter spotlight.
3rd period was a bit sloppy but overall the defence size and strength is finally showing its nastiness. Zuborov‘s bite seems contagious. Case in point Tkachuk usually feasts on us but was invisible last night.
Tuff road trip ahead with 2 nooners, one back to back, never in Leaf land.
I thought Florida played as physical a game as we've had to face this season. But as you said, we took it well and gave it right back. A welcome change for sure! It's funny though how much less physical the game is now, compared to 20 years ago. The camera's don't seem to hang onto a player after he's played the puck like they used to. You hardly ever see (or hear) that finishing cheque.

I thought Florida played as physical a game as we've had to face this season. But as you said, we took it well and gave it right back. A welcome change for sure! It's funny though how much less physical the game is now, compared to 20 years ago. The camera's don't seem to hang onto a player after he's played the puck like they used to. You hardly ever see (or hear) that finishing cheque.
I think the speed of the game and emphasis on structure is a big reason we see so much less hitting now. Guys can’t afford to take themselves out of position to make a big hit. I thought Juulsen was guilty of that earlier in the season but his positioning has improved and he’s just making the hits that are there for the taking, not chasing them.

I think the speed of the game and emphasis on structure is a big reason we see so much less hitting now. Guys can’t afford to take themselves out of position to make a big hit. I thought Juulsen was guilty of that earlier in the season but his positioning has improved and he’s just making the hits that are there for the taking, not chasing them.
It helps having some pretty amazing staff aka Adam Foote and Sergei Gonchar pretty elite defenders back in their days. 2nd in the league in points now keep it up boys lose 1 and win 4 cant go wrong with that.

I guess that’s what turkey does to you. Tough game for Brock and Zadorov. Miller to. Seems like teams are adjusting as Hughes at times is starting to losing the blue Line. When Sousy returns hopefully Myers meets the bleachers as in my opinion Juulsen is outplaying him.
Time to regroup and after Ottawa head out on a tough 7 game eastern road trip in 11 days. 2 nooners with a back to back in NY. With our not necessarily great starts in the other teams barn this trip will be a telling story. Hoping for the best. As for the schedule maker you gota question the Canucks 9 March home games in succession. I also wonder when the Leafs will eventually leave their time zone. To date 2 games, the Canucks 10 games. JR somehow needs to get this addressed with the establishment. Not a chance.

That was a tough game to watch. reminded me of the last few years. every mistake ended up behind the goalie. burn the game tape and move on.
i agree it was not much to watch , I think they’ve earned a pass or 2 this year , dogs happen , but it seems the first two lines have sagged over the last month , 3 rd line has been carrying them , road trip will be interesting

Not a good start to the road trip with a loss to SLB. Not the strongest team they have to play. Hard to win though when you can't win a face off. It would have been worse without Demko in super star mode.

Not a good start to the road trip with a loss to SLB. Not the strongest team they have to play. Hard to win though when you can't win a face off. It would have been worse without Demko in super star mode.
Agree for sure and it’s coming very clear to me that moving 3rd/ 4th line players up the lineup really was evident last night. No puck luck, missed opportunities and Brock needs to show up soon as he is skating in sand again. Kuz‘s (34 goals 2022) has to be in the lineup as the 2 AHL players do nothing to add offence. Not sure exactly what Tocchet has on him or he is one of those coaches that needs a whipping boy. Kuz is playing scared which is toxic if it continues as I feel Tocchet needs to reevaluate his decision making. How can Kuz be benched while Brock is still in the line up?. That would be my message to Tocchet.

Ya its feast or famine with Boeser , when its famine time his lack of foot speed in evident , hes always behind the play and cannot drive play because of it , first big $ guy to be moved IMO , i agree at least when Kuz is in there there might be a chance of a goal , with Aman on the 4th line , we might as well bring back Megna and Chaput from the Willie D era

Back