Canadian Loonie!

twinwinds

By THE CANADIAN PRESS, cp.org, Updated: March 10, 2010 8:48 AM
CIBC World markets predicts dollar could hit parity with U.S. currency this summer

CIBC World markets predicts dollar could hit parity with U.S. currency this summer

CIBC World Markets says expectations of higher interest rates and investor demand for Canada will help drive the Canadian dollar past parity with the U.S. greenback by this summer. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld

TORONTO - Expectations of higher interest rates and investor demand for Canada will help drive the Canadian dollar past parity with the U.S. greenback by this summer, says CIBC World Markets.

In a report Wednesday, the investment bank notes the loonie has jumped above 98 cents US in recent weeks as investors expect interest rates to rise in Canada later this year.

Higher interest rates - the bank expects a jump of three quarters of a point - make Canadian bonds and other investments more attractive and raises demand for the loonie.

Other factors that could help the currency are world demand for commodities such as oil, minerals and fertilizers and foreign acquisitions of Canadian companies by U.S. or overseas buyers.

On Tuesday, the Canadian dollar rose more than a tenth of a cent to 97.43 cents US, approaching the highest level of the year.

"Indeed, we've already seen the Canadian dollar gain several cents in recent weeks as the market began to firm up expectations" of an interest rate hike in July by the Bank of Canada, said Avery Shenfeld CIBC's chief economist.

"If as we expect, the Bank is out in front of the U.S. Federal Reserve by a couple of quarters, a higher Canadian dollar will help tighten monetary conditions. It's easy to see the Canadian dollar running a few cents through parity after the first hike."

CIBC's currency forecast sees the loonie reaching US$1.02 against the U.S. dollar by September before dipping back to 97 cents US by the end of the year. That reflects the investment bank's view that the Bank of Canada will raise interest rates in the third quarter, a full six months ahead of the U.S.

Since the Canadian economy is recovering more strongly from recession than the United States, inflationary pressure are building more rapidly north of the border than in the U.S.

"Nobody should be surprised if the Bank of Canada begins hiking rates as soon as its June-end line in the sand has passed," said . Shenfeld, adding he expects rate increases to be implemented in a measured way.

Just Curious, will this Change some of the U.S. members on here on whether or not you will come fishing up here or stay for a shorter period of time? I know this might hurt some of the guides?
I know for me if the Canadian buck rises above the U.S. Dollar I will be heading south of the border to do some shopping.

More US fishermen are going to Alaska because of the strong CDN dollar

quote:Originally posted by Tofinoguy

[?] I really don't know, but back in 2008, when the CDN dollar hit around 1.2 - 1.3 to the U.S. and all the Canadian lodges switched their prices from U.S. to CDN – for that reason, most I know didn’t mind “that” so much. But then when they switched back to U.S. after CDN went back down - that was very noted by a lot and - That move did not go over well with many. Ultimately those lodges did/and are still losing over that move! I am sure some to Alaska, but I don't think that is/or will be an issue now. That damage has already been.
Just IMHO

quote:Originally posted by Tofinoguy

Seems silly to me - prices are the same basically US/CAD (ie, eat at a restaurant in the states, the cost US$ is basically the same as we pay in CAD$ - then you have flights - LA to Vancouver in the summer is $376, LA to Juneau though is $753, LA to Anchorage is $496

Go there for the fishing, but I wouldn't bypass BC just to 'save' yourself from the exchange rate. The only difference is they just don't get as much as they used to anymore, but they aren't saving coin to go to Alaska....just looking at it in a monetary point of view.

its not the loonie going up , its the US dollar going down. You can't just keep printing money to prop up a dying economy.

CYA lads we are heading for another crash!!

They hit party today I think. So, earlier than expected I guess.

I hear there is a "North American Dollar" waiting in the wings. Something about competing with the Euro. Dunno though ... not really my field of expertise by any means.

I do know many currencies have come and gone in centuries gone by and we're still here. ;)

-----------
Probably best to be far away from me when I have sharp or pointy things in my hands.

News today is option #3 is favoured by all... The Greeks may be booted from the EU and have to reinstate the Drachma...

The parallel is, in the 90's the US thought a common NA currency would be a great idea to make them more competetive with Canada. Now it's the US that thinks the NA currency is a bad idea because it would make Canada more competitive with them.

In 98 they screamed to de-link the Chinese currency from the US$ as China's investment opportunities were too expensive for US companies to move in & buy. Now they're screaming because the Chinese have a strong economy and the US companies are there, because taxes & costs are low, and the US wants them to quit selling to Americans who wanted all that cheap stuff regardless where it came from, to the detriment of the Japanese, who were the ones who manufactured cheaper until America & Europe invested in Chinese plants due to lower labour costs...Duhhh.

When China becomes too expensive, manufacturing will move to the Congo or Afghanistan... What then?

You cannot have uniformly-positive global economic growth, deficit reduction, wage increases, and tax reductions, plus borrow yourself to greatness all at the same time as you're encouraging citizens to save yet, encouraging them to borrow more to spend more while being taxed to pay the costs of those who already did that and are now in bankruptcy... Yet, a Nobel Economics-prize winner thinks they should do just that.

For some odd reason, I just pictured a scene from Deliverance...

The US$ will remain the world's reserve currency for at least the medium term foreseeable future. $Cad parity will come & go until nobody will lend the US another dime. Until Thriftey's starts accepting bullion at bullion values as payment for groceries, currencies remain useful.

Cheers!

If you need to pinch your pennies that close, than you shouldn't even consider planning a trip north.
We are coming up with a group of 24 people in July and no one seems to be concerned about the dollar exchange rate. Sure, last years exchange rate was great, but who cares. The only thing on our mind is catching fish and enjoying each others company. The most important thing is that you enjoy yourself. We come back with pictures and fish to eat. Those who go on a cruise come back with pictures. So, I don't think that the exchange rate is going to hurt the Canadian economy. Right now the US is its own worst enemy.
Just my 00.0326 cents at the current rate of exchange.
BS

charlie, the cdn dollar never came close to 1.2 0r 1.3 us in 2008, it peaked at 1.10 for about a day and hung around 1.08 for a few days before heading back down. as for the lodges they had been losing us biz at a steady pace with the steady rise in the cdn dollar over a few years, a fair bit of that biz was replaced with oil and gas money from alberta, that took a hit in 08 with the recession and collapse of oil prices, i wouild expect some of that money MAY come back this year, however i'm sure we'll see a couple more bankrupt lodges folding the tent this year.tough biz with all that overhead.
cheers ferret

quote:Originally posted by ferret

charlie, the cdn dollar never came close to 1.2 0r 1.3 us in 2008, it peaked at 1.10 for about a day and hung around 1.08 for a few days before heading back down. as for the lodges they had been losing us biz at a steady pace with the steady rise in the cdn dollar over a few years, a fair bit of that biz was replaced with oil and gas money from alberta, that took a hit in 08 with the recession and collapse of oil prices, i wouild expect some of that money MAY come back this year, however i'm sure we'll see a couple more bankrupt lodges folding the tent this year.tough biz with all that overhead.
cheers ferret
Oh, really! Did I screw this up??? [:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]
You might want to look at your numbers? [?][?]
I might be wrong... then I might - stand by my statement! [:0][:0]
1 CAD (CAD = Canadian dollar)
21 Oct 2008 0.82 USD 0.8195 (1.2202)
22 Oct 2008 0.80 USD 0.8001 (1.2499)
23 Oct 2008 0.80 USD 0.7954 (1.2573)
24 Oct 2008 0.79 USD 0.7854 (1.2732)
27 Oct 2008 0.77 USD 0.7734 (1.2930)
28 Oct 2008 0.77 USD 0.7726 (1.2943)
29 Oct 2008 0.81 USD 0.8125 (1.2308)
30 Oct 2008 0.82 USD 0.8183 (1.2221)
31 Oct 2008 0.82 USD 0.8220 (1.2165)
http://www.bankofcanada.ca

I think at the high... the CAD was 1.2943?
Am I wrong??? It wouldn't be the first time!!! :D:D

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

quote:Originally posted by ferret

cheers ferret
Oh, really! Did I screw this up??? [:0][:0][:0][:0][:0]
You might want to look at your numbers? [?][?]
I might be wrong... then I might - stand by my statement! [:0][:0]
1 CAD (CAD = Canadian dollar)
21 Oct 2008 0.82 USD 0.8195 (1.2202)
22 Oct 2008 0.80 USD 0.8001 (1.2499)
23 Oct 2008 0.80 USD 0.7954 (1.2573)
24 Oct 2008 0.79 USD 0.7854 (1.2732)
27 Oct 2008 0.77 USD 0.7734 (1.2930)
28 Oct 2008 0.77 USD 0.7726 (1.2943)
29 Oct 2008 0.81 USD 0.8125 (1.2308)
30 Oct 2008 0.82 USD 0.8183 (1.2221)
31 Oct 2008 0.82 USD 0.8220 (1.2165)
http://www.bankofcanada.ca

I think at the high... the CAD was 1.2943?
Am I wrong??? It wouldn't be the first time!!! :D:D

Charlie.....I "think" you are reading it wrong. ;) I agree...it's not super clear on the B of Canada website as I just did a query search for this date to "see" the whole graph; plus currency conversion is always confusing.

I think what you are seeing is that 1 CDN $...would have given you $.77 USD on October 28th. SO...if I was to convert $100 CDN it would "only" give me $77 USD. Thus...I am not getting a 1 for 1 ratio but it is in fact lower on my end as my $100 isn't getting me the equivalent $100 USD or "higher" on that date.

Alternatively if I was to purchase....$100 USD on that date it would have cost me $129.43 CDN dollars which represents a weaker dollar on "our" part up here above the 49th. ;)

no charlie it was nov. it hit a high of 1.10 I remember it well that when I bought a new outboard in portland and save huge coin it never reached 1.20

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Did I ever say, there are times I can't read! :D [:0]

It's okay Charlie....it's a Canadian website; different language....the translation of CDN to US can get lost at times!! ;) [:eek:)][:p]

Spending $$ is spending $$. That said what burns a lot of americans is the GST and PST combo for an extra 15%. I last fished the Charlottes at a lodge in 08' $$ was just ok. We had fished there 5 or 6 years that was the last time. The $$ difference was one thing the attitudes were the clincher. My buddies dad is 72 or 73, he mentioned to the deck hand the throttle felt stiff. Deck boss jumps on and says "i've felt worse". Now when you are paying almost $4k for 4 1/2 days of fishing that is the wrong attitude.

Crap can't finish kids are going toe to toe!

dingo, i agree 100% with that, i've guided at most lodges in the charlottes, you've got to understand most employee's are just kids making close to minimum wage, and there are a lot of attitudes up there, some lodges are great, some i would never guide for again.
cheers ferret

Back