Campion Explorer 672 Issues

I added the fence on the swimgrid, and I don't know what Im doing. I'm an ordinary working man trying to do as much work as I can myself so I can get out on the water with my boys. This also means trial and error in my world anyway. This is the reason I am asking for help. Yes the fence throws water and thats fixable, the Chine Walk that I'm talking about is what Im really trying to figure out because if I don't feel safe out there no reason for owning it.
Didn’t mean to sound insulting, but whoever put the actual platform where it is put it too low, It doesn’t look factory so I’m guessing one of the previous owners added it. The fence although adding more weight to the very back isn’t the big issue imo.

In your images above, you have those tabs fully extended...they should be zeroed out or up and out of the way when you head off and onto plane. Then zero back out as you come off.

If you're new to tabs, it's easy to throw the boat around. Assuming you had the same issues before the swim grid mods, then do this. Always zero out your tabs so they are up and out of the way before attempting to go onto plane and make sure your outdrive is all the way down. Throttle up and get onto plane and only then use a tiny bit of tab on both sides to get the bow down a bit more than you would like then use the drive to raise the bow again. I like doing it this way as it uses the drive against the tabs to trim the boat. Once the boat is planing how you like it, then use a tiny touch of tab to balance side to side.

It really sounds like something is off with your tabs. Those Bennet rocker style switches can fail and throw your settings off .

Cheers and good luck.
Thanks a lot, I will be looking at the tabs mostly. I think I will be cutting the fence off this weekend and maybe moving it to the top of the swim grid. Thanks for the input.

Can you easily unbolt that back fence platform and try out the boat without it? That would be the most logical approach as a starting point.

You already have counter rotating propellers, so that is something in your favour, and this eliminates a prop torque issue for the most part.
Yup I would take that swim grid off, it’s too low for sure, looks at tad on the heavy side too for that boat, as far as the chine walk, lots of boat chine walk once when you go to fast and cant trim properly

Thanks a lot, I will be looking at the tabs mostly. I think I will be cutting the fence off this weekend and maybe moving it to the top of the swim grid. Thanks for the input.

Don't chop it off yet. Do you have a pic of the boat at rest in the water by chance?

BTW I can push my boat way over with one tab, no problem at all.

As stated by others, start with the tabs fully retracted (level with the bottom of the hull). If your tabs are fully extended like in the photos, it wouldn’t take much for a substantial list to occur with a small difference between the tabs positions. Where are you located? It would be beneficial if one of us could trial the boat with you in person.

As stated by others, start with the tabs fully retracted (level with the bottom of the hull). If your tabs are fully extended like in the photos, it wouldn’t take much for a substantial list to occur with a small difference between the tabs positions. Where are you located? It would be beneficial if one of us could trial the boat with you in person.
Was going to ask that same question lol, where you at ???

Would just adding the fence make it way more heavy? Thats the only thing Ive done,
I don't think so. But I don't think that swim grid is stock either. Plus there's a kicker hanging off it. Maybe you could shift a bunch of weight up front. Does it feel like it rides stern heavy?

As above I keep tabs fully retracted with engine tucked all the way down when jumping out of the hole...then adjust one tab slightly to level out. Sometimes you have to tweak further when you encounter waves from various directions to soften the ride and keep the winward chine up slightly to reduce banging. I n rough water is when applying more bow down tab is handy to further soften the ride by keeping the bow planted in the water instead of launching out of it. I would also be looking at getting any substantial weight as low as possible in the boat and evenly distributed side to side. I wouldn't have my cooler on the roof.

The other thing to try is...after up on a plane use both tabs equally and drive the bow down....just enough to flatten you out, not plowing. See if it feels more stable...if so its stern heavy and wanting more of the hull in the water to provide the stability you are looking for.

If you're new to tabs, it's easy to throw the boat around. Assuming you had the same issues before the swim grid mods, then do this. Always zero out your tabs so they are up and out of the way before attempting to go onto plane and make sure your outdrive is all the way down. Throttle up and get onto plane and only then use a tiny bit of tab on both sides to get the bow down a bit more than you would like then use the drive to raise the bow again. I like doing it this way as it uses the drive against the tabs to trim the boat. Once the boat is planing how you like it, then use a tiny touch of tab to balance side to side.

It really sounds like something is off with your tabs. Those Bennet rocker style switches can fail and throw your settings off .

Cheers and good luck.
Agree I do the same tabs should be up full and the “trim” is tucked in full on the leg. Adjust the boat accordingly once your on plane. Too much tab can cause poor handling.

check your tabs out of the water now and make sure they’re working properly quite possible they may not be responding when your trying to adjust it’s hard to hear the pump work while on plane.

This is important as Old Fisher mentioned," As the boat rises and planes, use the engine trim to lift the bow until the boat feels free and steering feels good. "
I owned this same boat for 4 years, they are hard to control. I had to trim the leg as it came on plane or it would list hard to port.
on the trim tabs almost constantly when cruising.
Mine also had the kicker mounted in the same place, which I don;t think helps the situation.

This is important as Old Fisher mentioned," As the boat rises and planes, use the engine trim to lift the bow until the boat feels free and steering feels good. "
I owned this same boat for 4 years, they are hard to control. I had to trim the leg as it came on plane or it would list hard to port.
on the trim tabs almost constantly when cruising.
Mine also had the kicker mounted in the same place, which I don;t think helps the situation.
Thanks alot guys for the great feedback. Im going to be adding some plates to the trim tabs today to make them larger. going from a 12x9 to a 18 x 12. Hopefully that can help some. I am located in Prince George BC. I do understand that this boat is on the "Hard to control side" of boats. not sure what to do about the fence. was thinking of cutting it off the sides and mounting to the top would bring it in a bit and take the "profile" out of the water at least. I have a picture of the boat at rest Ill find it and put it up..

As above I keep tabs fully retracted with engine tucked all the way down when jumping out of the hole...then adjust one tab slightly to level out. Sometimes you have to tweak further when you encounter waves from various directions to soften the ride and keep the winward chine up slightly to reduce banging. I n rough water is when applying more bow down tab is handy to further soften the ride by keeping the bow planted in the water instead of launching out of it. I would also be looking at getting any substantial weight as low as possible in the boat and evenly distributed side to side. I wouldn't have my cooler on the roof.
The boat was designed with initial stability. Center of gravity should be as low as possible on any boat. That is already somewhat compromised with the hardtop on a small boat.. As Profisher says, get added weight off the top. With the swim platform plowing, your boat is steering unpredictability from that effect. Have it floating on it's lines - fore and aft, side to side. Distribute necessary weight appropriately. Once you clear up the built-in issues, then worry about tabs, not before. They are for trim, not to stabilize an unstable boat.

Hold up messing with the tabs or anything else, if you launch today, take pics at rest so we can see how she lies in the water. Think of your trim tabs like tail section elevator tabs on an airplane, there's nothing happening when until you're up to speed then one small touch and over she goes to stabilize the plane.

Back