Campion 542 reviews/tips

MikePA

I'm going to buy a 2017 542 Friday and wondered if anyone had any advice/tips/reviews/Devils advocate point of view. Thanks!

I'm going to buy a 2017 542 Friday and wondered if anyone had any advice/tips/reviews/Devils advocate point of view. Thanks!
My buddies was under powered with a 115 Yam. 150 would probably be the right number. His could have also used trim tabs.

My buddies was under powered with a 115 Yam. 150 would probably be the right number. His could have also used trim tabs.
It's got a 150 Yamaha. No trim tabs but will look into getting some!

Last edited:

They are great boats. The only thing I will say is I have been on the 542 and almost bought one a few times is the cuddy is tiny almost just like storage so if you plan to spend any nights on it be warned you won't sleep well. In that boat range the Double eagle 185 wins for cuddy size.

If you only plan to do a few overnights a yr big deal it's fine.

Congrats I don't think you need to worry about much.

They are great boats. The only thing I will say is I have been on the 542 and almost bought one a few times is the cuddy is tiny almost just like storage so if you plan to spend any nights on it be warned you won't sleep well. In that boat range the Double eagle 185 wins for cuddy size.

If you only plan to do a few overnights a yr big deal it's fine.

Congrats I don't think you need to worry about much.
Thanks, ya I noticed that when looking at it.. doubt I would sleep on it too often.

They are awesome boats I had one for 11 years, they take big water with ease, I had mine off Pine Island, Winter Harbour, Bajo reef. Just great boats all around... the only reason I upgraded was my kids got bigger and married so needed a bigger dance floor. You will love the boat Mike. My wife had slept in the Cuddy out fishing as she gets bored but they are comfy enough for overnight as well

I fish on that boat with a friend that has the 115 Yamaha and loaded with gear plus kicker. With 2 full size adults it does fine for power, getting on plane etc. 150 would be great but more of a want vs need.

They are awesome boats I had one for 11 years, they take big water with ease, I had mine off Pine Island, Winter Harbour, Bajo reef. Just great boats all around... the only reason I upgraded was my kids got bigger and married so needed a bigger dance floor. You will love the boat Mike. My wife had slept in the Cuddy out fishing as she gets bored but they are comfy enough for overnight as well
Awesome thanks!

Stand up top is a must, ours had the lower profile top and it was a back-killer bending over all day underneath that thing. Also had a 115 and it was too light on power when it got rough out. They handle water decently for what it is. You will need trim tabs without a doubt.

Enjoy the new tub Mike! It’s a beauty.

Don’t forget to search one of my old threads called “give us your best boat names” (or something like that)
Maybe you’ll find some inspiration. Definitely a chuckle or 2

It's got a 150 Yamaha. No trim tabs but will look into getting some!
I have an older 542. It had no trim tabs. It absolutely needs them. Added them and what a difference. I am still running the original motor, 1998 Mercury 115 HP. Gets out of the hole easily and goes plenty fast.

Back