Campion 542 Kicker mounting question

roadking

Hi all (especially 542 owners),

we recently bought a 2018 542, and are looking to add our new kicker (it’s a 9.9 Merc extra long leg). My question is mounting - mount directly to the kicker well/transom or do I need an additional bracket? I’d love to do a semi-permanent mount using just the screw mounts to enable easy removal of the kicker for storage, but the mounting pads would screw directly into the gel coat on the inside of the kicker well. Thanks for any info or pics!

we recently bought a 2018 542, and are looking to add our new kicker (it’s a 9.9 Merc extra long leg). My question is mounting - mount directly to the kicker well/transom or do I need an additional bracket? I’d love to do a semi-permanent mount using just the screw mounts to enable easy removal of the kicker for storage, but the mounting pads would screw directly into the gel coat on the inside of the kicker well. Thanks for any info or pics!
Don’t the 542 campion have a spot for the kicker on the left side. Easy to hook up a steering bar.You probably only need a long shaft.

Mine is directly to transom on the left side. The vast majority of the 542's that I have seen are also directly mounted.

Mine is directly to transom on the left side. The vast majority of the 542's that I have seen are also directly mounted.
Any issues with gel coat cracking on the inside of the well? It just seems odd to mount directly to the wall of the transom. Thanks for your reply!

Any issues with gel coat cracking on the inside of the well? It just seems odd to mount directly to the wall of the transom. Thanks for your reply!
Nope, gel coat is in great shape. I can send you a pic tomorrow if it would help.

Edit: just went and looked.. so the bottom part is bolted and the top part in the well just used the standard clamp screw, so maybe I don't have to screw those in as tight as you would.. but they are pretty tight.

Last edited:
Mine is blted on the transom on the port side, tohatsu 9.8 long shaft. If you are going to use the-screw mounts and worried about your gel coat just put a piece of rubber between the mounts and transom

I have my 9.9 Yam with tilt/trim and al the remote cables on a bracket just felt I needed the extra room fir all to work smoothly - I custom made my steering bar with a bend in it - works great!

Attachments

• 84003B82-7EF3-432B-A31A-93B62212DC87.jpeg
    84003B82-7EF3-432B-A31A-93B62212DC87.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 61
I've never felt that the screw /stock mounts are safe/secure enough.Thieves can simply undo and walk away,I've always put 2 stainless steel bolts threw the bracket or transom.Still easy to remove the motor in winter if you want,without removing the bolts.

I've never felt that the screw /stock mounts are safe/secure enough.Thieves can simply undo and walk away,I've always put 2 stainless steel bolts threw the bracket or transom.Still easy to remove the motor in winter if you want,without removing the bolts.
x2 Sikaflex the crap out of it to be safe.

Mine is a 98 542. I used 2 pieces of rubber backed indoor outdoor under the screws. On the transom I got a 1/4 plastic cutting board from CT that way I didn't crush the edge trim. Definitely put the 2 carriage bolts through the transom and Sika flex them before sliding the bolts through. Then Sika flex the nut and washer when tightening on inside

Start at the bottom, make sure your placement of the bracket will give you good prop movement in the water. Nothing worse than chopping water when trying to troll. Sikkaflex sure just don't torque it down immediately. I'm a huge fan of marine butyl tape too nothing is going to get past that stuff.

Back