Campbell to increase Salmon Farms!!!!

T

The Fish Assassin

Green groups blast increases in salmon farms

Judith Lavoie, Times Colonist
Published: Sunday, November 23, 2008

Environmental groups say they are appalled that the province is considering massive increases in farmed salmon production in farms along critical wild salmon migration routes, such as the Broughton Archipelago and northern Strait of Georgia.

"We are just astounded at the size of some of the increases. There are at least three farms in northern Georgia Strait that are looking at doubling or tripling their capacity," said Ruby Berry of the Georgia Strait Alliance.

Catherine Stewart of the Living Oceans Society agreed, saying the increases put wild salmon runs at risk.

An increase in production of this nature will place tremendous pressure on already imperilled wild salmon stocks and the marine ecosystem around these salmon farms," she said.

Groups that belong to the Coastal Alliance for Aquaculture Reform "stumbled across" the list of applications, Berry said.

Unlike applications for new farms, when environmental groups are among those consulted, there is no requirement to let anyone know when there is an application for an amendment, Berry said.

"It's a big hole in the consultation process," she said.

However, Liz Bicknell, spokeswoman for the Agriculture and Lands Ministry, said only two applications for increased production have been approved, both last April, and decisions on other applications are not imminent. One of the two approved production expansions is in Frederick Arm and the other on the far side of the Discovery Islands, both of which are near Campbell River, not in the Broughton, she said.

"We are very disappointed that CAAR has put out this release. We have been working very closely with them, so we are very surprised," Bicknell said.

All applications for increased capacity are considered individually, and the ministry looks at aspects such as fairness, protection of the environment and sustainable economic development, she said.

The province was originally scheduled to release an aquaculture plan more than a year ago, but it is now likely to be completed early next year, Bicknell said.

"We are continuing to work with all the sectors and we're waiting for the Pacific Salmon Forum to issue its report," she said.

The forum is collecting information on the effect of farmed fish, including sea lice, on wild salmon.

The province has declared a moratorium on fish farms on B.C.'s north coast and the Special Legislative Committee on Sustainable Aquaculture, dominated by the NDP, recommended that fish farms transition to closed containment within five years.

Committee chairman Robin Austin said Friday that expansion of open-net farming would fly in the face of the committee's recommendations.

"There should be no question about expanding open-net aquaculture when we have runs in the Broughton Archipelago that have plummeted by as much as 90 per cent this year," he said.

"We need to act now to save these runs before it's too late.... The Campbell government is dithering while our wild salmon runs slide towards extinction."

Marine Harvest Canada of Campbell River is one of the companies that had amendments approved this year and is waiting for a decision on other applications.

Clare Backman, the firm's manager of environmental compliance, said any changes, whether relocation of a cage or an increase in production, requires an amendment.

However, Marine Harvest has approval to produce 89,000 tonnes of salmon a year and is producing only 40,000 tonnes because the company chooses the most sustainable sites and uses farms in rotation, he said.

"We believe we are demonstrating a sustainable operation, but that is something the environmental groups disagree with," Backman said.

These folks only have one solution and it's called closed containment, which is something that is not proved for salmon."
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Who the hell voted for this guy? Nice going btw if it was you.

Take only what you need.

Yesterday the TC had an article that stated the US government wants to implement a food sticker for all food products that are organic and environmentally friendly grown. The article said that net pet farmed Antlantic salmon will not get this certificate because of its negative impacts on the environment. They expect that to have a significant impact on sales of the farmed fish.

Our government doesn't seem to get its act together so we must hope that the 'mercans teach us a lesson. Since 85% of BC farmed salmon goes to the US maybe this move will kill this filthy business...

quote:They expect that to have a significant impact on sales of the farmed fish.

It won't. Prices are at a all time high and demand has never been better. Even in BC sales are very strong. Most people do are doing their own research and realize most of what is being reported is absolute BS. Look at the groups that are opposing this, not exactly the creme de la creme of enviromental groups. Do yourselves a favour and don't believe the hype.

I have two letters for the farm supporter: FU.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Barbender,

Ever get that nagging feeling your days spent lurking around this forum under the guise of a 'sport-fisherman' are numbered?

I do.

Standing for Wild Salmon,
Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

quote:They expect that to have a significant impact on sales of the farmed fish.

It won't. Prices are at a all time high and demand has never been better. Even in BC sales are very strong. Most people do are doing their own research and realize most of what is being reported is absolute BS. Look at the groups that are opposing this, not exactly the creme de la creme of enviromental groups. Do yourselves a favour and don't believe the hype.
Do us all a favor and beat it.

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

quote:Barbender,

Ever get that nagging feeling your days spent lurking around this forum under the guise of a 'sport-fisherman' are numbered?

I do.
Terry you haven't been right about anything you posted on this site yet. So I am not too worried about you starting now.

Barbender,

Haven't been right about what?

- The FACT that BC's fishfarms are currently (and HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS) puking the daily-equivalent RAW-UNTREATED-SEWAGE/CHEMICALS directly into our formerly-pristine marine waterways' as 50-MILLION PEOPLE!

- The FACT that FISH-FARM SEA-LICE are destroying our NATIVE WILD-SALMON THE SAME AS THIS PATHETIC INDUSTRY HAS DONE ALREADY IN SCOTLAND, IRELAND AND NORWAY!

- The FACT that ESCAPED ATLANTIC SALMON FROM FISHFARMS HAVE, AND STILL ARE, AND ALWAYS WILL WREAK HAVOC IN EVERY ECOSYSTEM THEY HAVE INFECTED.

- The FACT that this Industrial net-pen business is PROVEN UN-SUSTAINABLE BY PEER-REVIEWED SCIENCE. (might have something to do with the fact that it takes 3 to 5-pounds of small fish and other ocean creatures to make fish-pellets needed to grow 1-pound of farm fish. Then too, there's the by-catch issue with all the other critter's these fleets destroy in the process.)It all makes perfect sense to me.

- The FACT that - while more and more Canadians' become knowledgeable and learn the truth about this ENVIRONMENTAL HOLOCAUST YOU SO RIGHTEOUSLY DEFEND our collusive Federal & Provincial Government's are rapidly becoming the industries' only allies.

Barbender, as a Canadian sportfisherman who is and has been extremely concerned about the net-pen business for nearly 10-yrs now, I will make it my business to know and remember who supported this destruction and carnage.

How the likes of you can remain an 'Advanced Member' of this online community, remains a mystery to me.

Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

quote:Originally posted by Little Hawk

Barbender,

Haven't been right about what?

- The FACT that BC's fishfarms are currently (and HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS) puking the daily-equivalent RAW-UNTREATED-SEWAGE/CHEMICALS directly into our formerly-pristine marine waterways' as 50-MILLION PEOPLE!

- The FACT that FISH-FARM SEA-LICE are destroying our NATIVE WILD-SALMON THE SAME AS THIS PATHETIC INDUSTRY HAS DONE ALREADY IN SCOTLAND, IRELAND AND NORWAY!

- The FACT that ESCAPED ATLANTIC SALMON FROM FISHFARMS HAVE, AND STILL ARE, AND ALWAYS WILL WREAK HAVOC IN EVERY ECOSYSTEM THEY HAVE INFECTED.

- The FACT that this Industrial net-pen business is PROVEN UN-SUSTAINABLE BY PEER-REVIEWED SCIENCE. (might have something to do with the fact that it takes 3 to 5-pounds of small fish and other ocean creatures to make fish-pellets needed to grow 1-pound of farm fish. Then too, there's the by-catch issue with all the other critter's these fleets destroy in the process.)It all makes perfect sense to me.

- The FACT that - while more and more Canadians' become knowledgeable and learn the truth about this ENVIRONMENTAL HOLOCAUST YOU SO RIGHTEOUSLY DEFEND our collusive Federal & Provincial Government's are rapidly becoming the industries' only allies.

Barbender, as a Canadian sportfisherman who is and has been extremely concerned about the net-pen business for nearly 10-yrs now, I will make it my business to know and remember who supported this destruction and carnage.

How the likes of you can remain an 'Advanced Member' of this online community, remains a mystery to me.

Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

Would you care to provide some facts supporting the waste discharge numbers you quote? I have a hard time beliving that a few hundred thousand fish weighing in at 2-6 pounds each discharge as much waste as 1.5 times the ENTIRE POPULATION OF CANADA.

So, assuming you have, lets be on the higher side of the numbers, five hundred thousand farmed salmon on the coast, they would have to be pooping 100 pounds each out EVERY DAY to support your number, which sounds somewhat inflated. A COW can't crap much more then 20 pounds per day at best, a little ol' cold blooded salmon sure as hell can't come close to that.

As passionate as you sound about fish farms, please explain where the flaw in my math is. As you stated, it takes 3-5kg of biomass to make 1 kg of fish, so at the very high end of your estimate, we are still "no where close" to the amount of waste you are claiming we discharge in the water.

Really, if that were the case, and there was that much material being dumped into that area every day, we would not need BC Ferries as there would be a land bridge of salmon feces across the Broughton Archipelego that you could drive across.

There is _SOME_ evidence of sea lice affecting pink salmon stocks.

There is _NO_ documented case of ANY local watershed having been affected by an, or many escaped Atlantic salmon. The odd one may made it up a river, but if our attempts at stocking the rivers with hundreds of thousands of them in the middle part of the century didn't work, a few "steroid stoned out" specimens are NOT going to affect anything either.

Untill some study proves otherwise, I don't see how a few Atlantic salmon have so much as farted in an elevator, let alone affected a local population.

We have waters that supported damn near 10 times the number of salmon out there, a few thousand wild Atlantics scrambing around the wrong ocean does NOT transalte into a few hundred thousand Freddy Krugers. If we, through all of our efforts, can't even get our damn salmon to grow in our rivers, it is impossible for a species that is VERY identical to do the same, on their own, with next to NO genetic diversity.

This subject, much like religion, is one that all parties feel quite pasionate about, so in the name of calm debate, please produce the studies, or simple math that show the numbers you post.

BTW, I don't work for the salmon farms, I'm a sport fisherman, but the only way to make any headway on moving to closed containment farms is to produce viable evidence and present it as such, rather then scare-mongering, as posts like one I quoted above just don't sound credible.

I'm not supporting a pro-farm lobby, nor am I pro-farm, but the arguments you placed above, sound to a skeptic (Who you really have to convince, eally sound out there. And _THEY_ (Those who sign off on farms and whatnot), are the ones that need convincing.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

May or may not be related but i noticed in the Saanich inlet chum test fishery over the last couple years there have been a huge increase in the amount of sea lice found on the chum we are catching.
Years ago i never used to see that much at all....
who knows...

Cheers

Sounds like a protest in the making. Just imagine Victoria's inner harbor clogged with boats!

Careful Last Chance. The last thing Terry wants is someone confusing the issue with facts. He may start to threaten you next.

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

Careful Last Chance. The last thing Terry wants is someone confusing the issue with facts. He may start to threaten you next.

All I ask is "Please Clarify, this is how the picture looks to me". And if anything resembling facts should manifest itself, I will grab a bottle of ketchup to help wash down the foot that I'm _SURE_ will be in my mouth. No need to stir the pot here when it's already been brought to a boil. Let's just hope that we can continue this thread without personal attacks or threats..

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Howdy LC,

Thanks for the post.

Back in 1999 or so when I began to learn the truth about commercial net-pen finfish production here on our coast and around the world, I became both appalled and sickened by what I learned. Since then the situation has only worsened and served to increase my resolve to do what I can to help end this insanity.

Besides writing an essay on the topic (1st/yr English Comp.) I followed that up with a 'Special Report' featured article in BC Outdoors Sportfishing Magazine in the May 2002 edition. In that article I stated (from research I'd done) that each of BC's fishfarms(then about 125 seperate operations) contributed the daily equivalent RAW-UNTREATED SEWAGE AS DOES A CITY OF 500,000 PEOPLE. Pay close attention to the use of raw-untreated.
If memory serves, I took that data from an NOAA report I read.
To date, LC, that claim has not been challenged. Why? Because the Industries' up against the wall on this one and they know it.

By the way, where did you come up with the figure of 500,000 farm fish on our coast? Each farm has 200,000 or more...

LC, I can't believe a well respected senior member on this forum could make such a statement as "...a few thousand wild Atlantics scrambing around the wrong ocean does NOT transalte into a few hundred thousand Freddy Krugers."

Come-on Man! You want me to believe you are not Pro-farms after putting that out there? What happened to erring on the side of caution? Murphy's Law? The 'Conservationist-ethic', being scientifically/environmentally responsible? Think of the consequences, think of what's at stake if we are wrong about the colonization-threat. Are you okay with seeing the extinction of 5-species of Pacific Salmon & Wild Steelhead? Perhaps you are, but I am quite happy with the fish I have the great privilege to chase here, thank you very much!

As for your statement that there is no 'documented evidence' of escaped Atlantics invading any of our streams or rivers, my friend, you need to read more before jumping on the 'Barbender-bandwagon'.
Here's a quote from my May/02' BC Outdoors article:
"In August 1998, while conducting snorkeling stream surveys for wild-spawned Atlantic salmon in the Tsitika River on Vancouver Island, Dr. John Volpe, Invasion Ecology,(U Vic)and his team found over 100 healthy (viable), wild-spawned, Atlantic salmon juveniles in the Tsitika and two additional river systems."

I'm confident Volpe's work has been published elsewhere but what's important here is to know that my publication (of his work) has not been challenged or refuted by the industry in a court of law. IF THEY COULD HAVE SUED ME FOR MAKING SUCH CLAIMS THEY WOULD HAVE DONE SO LONG AGO!

Volpe surveyed less than 1% of the Islands rivers and managed to find wild-spawned Atlantics' in three streams. Does this not concern you?
That was nearly 10 years ago and thousands upon thousands more have escaped since and will continue to do so, providing a constant spawning-age class of replacements. And trust me, our complicit government is pouring about the same amount of resources at monitoring these escaped fish as they are at managing/enhancing our wild resource. Basically, dick!

By the way, I had a chance to see the new (pre-production) Gary Cooper (Nice Fish) film he's about to release. It features Alexandra Morton, Twyla Roscovich, Dr. John Volpe, and myself in a half-hour episode on the travesty's of the BC net-pen business. He's done a fantastic job and he's assured me it will get MASSIVE North American exposure! When I get notification from him on airing times/dates, I'll post them.

As I am still basically new here and I very much respect the contributions you have made here, I sincerely hope this clarifies things for you LC and gets you back on the 'Right' side of this battle. It's about wild Pacific salmon man!

And hey, the sticking your foot in your mouth thing... I've done it many times. Don't worry about it too much. It's like doing the horizontal-boogy for the first time: at first it might hurt a bit, then it goes away...

Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

Back