Campbell River

hooked for life

Hi All
I am heading up that way on sunday from the mainland for a couple of days, is ther anything happenning in the campbell or quinsam? Any info gretly appreciated.

Cheers Peter

The quinsam has some really dark Coho left in it and a lot of dead carcusses from everything else. I walked it just two days ago to see if there were any clean fish in there but all I saw was bright red and black fish.
The Campbell has Chum, lots of Chum. But most of them have been in there for about 3 weeks and are now starting to have white patches all over. Every now and again I get one that doesn't look too bad, but I'm just catching and releasing anyways.
Lots of guys using small purple wool egg patterns as well as minow patters with bright colors.
Mostly I've been using bright greens, reds, oranges or pink minnow patterns on size 2 salmon fly hooks.
Seems to be working. I generally catch 3-4 in an hour or two, but often my landing ratio is half that as it is barbless single hooks only.
Good luck and maybe I'll see ya there.

Also if you are a proficient fly fisher, the top of the Campbell in the Fly fishing only section, they’ve built artificial spawning beds. In this area if you can softly present a nice minnow pattern without spooking the fish there are loads of fish.
It is a little tricky because you have to stand in the spawn beds as the brush grows right up to the edges leaving little room to cast, even roll casting is hard. But if the fly hits too hard on the water…BOOM the school of fish heads down the bed to the other end.
But when you do get one, watch out there’s lots of water for them to run in and boy can they run!

Be advised that Hydro has the water levels up pretty high right now as they are doing some work on something and needed to spill water.
Tough wading in high water sometimes.

Take care.

Haze not to beak you but targeting them on their actual redds isnt a great idea. I would let em spawn and target moving or holding fish lower down.

quote:Originally posted by kelly

Haze not to beak you but targeting them on their actual redds isnt a great idea. I would let em spawn and target moving or holding fish lower down.
No doubt about it, if I was keeping fish I would never do anything of the sort. But when I fly fish it's pretty much always just a catch and release program. For that matter I haven't keep a salmon from a river this year. For me river fishing is just a chance to help the fall and winter pass by with a little more sunshine in my rainy part of the world. :)

Back