campbell river reoprts??

Caught one at Greensea on Sat along with a couple coho a pink and a keeper spring. No chum tho.
Saw a few of sockeye jumpers coming down the straits this am.

Looks like they're starting to move up the channel now. Several fellows at the discovery pier had pinks, and I got there in time to see one happy angler hook and land a 35 pound chinook, apparently his first fish of the year. Beauty fish. I've heard that there are a couple of good ones coming off there each day (not tyees, but 15-25 #).

fished the cr hump and picked up a 15 lb white spring. caught around 7pm last nite on the flood. lots of bait in the current, aswell as dolphins,seals and birds. i couldnt believe all the bird feathers on the surface. fish was caught on a tom mack no flash 80ft.

Hey King Cod I think I know the difference between a school of Pinks and Soxs I sure hope u do??

Hey duffer, I guess I don't - care to enlighten me. Was up in deepwater bay saturday, near the end of the ebb it was teeming with fish, jumping everywhere, sounder was showing schools as bottom. They were thick. I assumed sockeye, but a siener steamed in and promptly went to the Brown Bay side. They obviously knew they were pinks. Some sockeye were being caught, mainly pinks. How can you tell the difference?

One tell tale sign of a sockeye jump is that they come out and land on the water on their side.

Just spent 3 days in the CR area including Brown's Bay with only moderate success (3 guys). Ended up with 1 spring (12 lb), 3 sockeye (1 beauty @ 10) and the rest pink. Pretty slow but when bite came on it was frantic.

One tell tale sign of a sockeye jump is that they come out and land on the water on their side.

Actually if you look for "sliders" that is fish that push water like a torpedo that's a sure sign. They don't ALWAYS slide but quite often they do.

im suprised there isnt more reports from the campbell river area. ive been staying at the salmon point resort for the last week fishing the cr-hump, green can/fransisco point areas. there has been lots of fish being caught. also, springs are being caught rite in front of the resort. the evening has been the best weather for fishing. ive been using batrix chovies and bait busters with in line flashers, doing well, not many dogs.fishing 100 ft.

im suprised there isnt more reports from the campbell river area. ive been staying at the salmon point resort for the last week fishing the cr-hump, green can/fransisco point areas. there has been lots of fish being caught. also, springs are being caught rite in front of the resort. the evening has been the best weather for fishing. ive been using batrix chovies and bait busters with in line flashers, doing well, not many dogs.fishing 100 ft.

in front of the resort there are two large underwater structures you can see on a GPS... the edge of them marks around 50 feet. There are nice spring on those ledges.. Is that what you're referencing Hog Tide?

All the plankton feeders jump in a similar way, (Chum, Pinks, Sockeye) shallow jump landing on their side. Coho and springs will either launch straight out or roll on the surface like a porpoise.

did not know about structures. i was wondering why boats were in so close. i thought they were tagetting pinks..i was fishing the contours 150.230 ft most of the time.

I was at Painters Lodge yesterday with the wife, to take the shuttle to April Point for lunch. (It's quite a nice day out actually), and saw the OBMG boats coming in mostly with limits from the plumper bay area. Mostly silver pinks with the odd sockeye mixed in. A very few chinooks also coming in. No coho at all. The guides were telling me the sockeye run is almost over, but pinks everywhere and lots more to come.

first post,hope it works. fished the Hump this morning,put in at
Oyster River. Got there about slack tide, had one hit about an hour later, 15 lb spring in the boat. 4 other boats around but no action that we spotted. lots of something on the fishfinder at all depths. Nice day on the water. tough spot to fish when the tide starts running!!

Should probably start a new thread on this one but from years of fishing I guess I never gave this serious enough thought. I guess I can tell there socks jumping because you can physically see they are a more long and slender fish and when your into the jumpers im usually cathching soxs. I looked online couldnt find any studies on this topic. But generally they do always scoot sideways for sure and usually 2 or more times. Pinks on the other hand are chunkier and not as long as the soxs. I guess thats how I can tell BC ORG.

Sockeye salmon, unlike other species of Pacific Salmon, feed extensively on zooplankton during both freshwater and saltwater life stages.[8] Their many gill rakers strain the plankton from the water. This diet may be the reason for the striking hue of their flesh, as well as their very low concentration of methylmercury. They also tend to feed on small aquatic organisms such as shrimp. They also eat insects when they are at the juvenile stage.

Gotta get ready for the Q good luck finding the answer to this one.

Well went out today with the wife. Has only fished for trout in lakes. Went to Francisco Point, about a dozen boats around, most catching fish. Well the wife picked up a nice hatchery coho 5 pounds. Well the boat just got put in to the marina for a weeks moorage. I have created a monster. LOLOL. Picked it up on a purple haze flasher and a army truck at about 50 feet.

I have just been told we are going out tomorrow. LOL

congrats boobear!! i was out today 1-5. fished the cr hump and green can with the wife..lol 5 under size, dbl header, landed a nice spring about 12lbs.georgus day! heard on the radio someone landed a 37 lber around the hump. army truck spoon and baitrix chovy.. the fish had large herring in the belly. tomorrow will be a great fishing day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx Hogtide. I will be out again tomorrow. Will be out 9ish. Give me a holler an the radio on 16. I still have not been able to find the hump. Name of the boat is Fish Stalker.

L8TER
Don

Following this thread makes me envious. Wish I had never sold my boat. Just coulodn't afford to run it any more!

Back