calamari time ?

squid, you should take a drive to Steveston. There are four tackle shops. They all probably have what you need. For sure some of them will have gear for you. Good pizza on the corner of 3rd ave and Chatham too.

quote:Originally posted by squidjigs

I like this thread. Any squid jig in Vancouver? I can't find a good spot- just moved here from Victoria and need a place to squid fish. Saw the Juicy Jigs squid jig link - those are great squid jigs. Also, are there any tackle shops with a good assortment of squid jigs in Vancouver?

The squid should be here anytime - get your rods out and I'll see you on the pier!
I thought they were more in the spring time? When ,and where, are you expecting to get them?

I know they catch a lot of them in Seattle off lit docks at night during the winter. I would think the run times would be similar... but I'm not sure that squid even spawn around Vancouver like they do around Seattle.

i remeber catching lots, it was about 4 years ago down at odgeon point by the helijet. there was thousands of them all about 6" long. there school was at least 2x bigger then a tennis court. every night at 11pm or so i would go back and catch a bucket of them in about 5 mins, every cast had one or 2. but that only lasted for about one week. and something really big was feeding on them one night when i was catching them. but it was to dark to see what it was, way bigger then a salmon, maybe a whale or sealion?? have been checking there every so often to see if there back.

i remeber catching lots, it was about 4 years ago down at odgeon point by the helijet. there was thousands of them all about 6" long. there school was at least 2x bigger then a tennis court. every night at 11pm or so i would go back and catch a bucket of them in about 5 mins, every cast had one or 2. but that only lasted for about one week. and something really big was feeding on them one night when i was catching them. but it was to dark to see what it was, way bigger then a salmon, maybe a whale or sealion?? have been checking there every so often to see if there back.

Please let us know if you see them again.
Does anyone use those cheap squidjigs from Cajun Tire,or is there a more productive brand?
I used to work on a crab boat and we would use squid in baitcups exclusively during the winter months, so there must be a fair number out there.

Please let us know if you see them again.
Does anyone use those cheap squidjigs from Cajun Tire,or is there a more productive brand?
I used to work on a crab boat and we would use squid in baitcups exclusively during the winter months, so there must be a fair number out there.

quote:Originally posted by saltydawg

I like this one.
http://www.squidfish.net/index.shtml

Thanks very much for mentioning the site. The site was booming about 2 months ago when the squid on the east coast around goat island, rhode island was firing. it has all gone very dead at the moment.

there are still lots of giant squid around though in california if you happen to be in the area :)

:) cheers, glen

We fish for them every year at the dock in Maple Bay. Usually it is all done by the second or third week in May. Have never seen them around later than that. Hope that helps.

Back