Cabo 2012 fishing trip

Sculpin

I just want to start off by thanking fishtofino for inviting me on this fishing trip with him and firelight. You guys are great travel and fishing companions and I had a blast. My only previous experience fishing Mexico was out of panga in March a few years ago in Rincon de Guayabitos.

I have decided to focus on the positive side and the vacation value of the trip and not get too side tracked with a few negative things that happened. So here we go (warning pic HEAVY)!!!. The guys nicked named me Johnny Yamamoto lol.

Off to the Cape!

The new airport terminal in Cabo is fantastic. The whole customs experience and flow of traffic was amazingly efficient.

Ooops. Almost a fender bender lol.

IMG_3110.jpg

We paid extra for a property manager to pick us up and drop us off at the end of our trip. The little expense was worth it. She showed up in a newer Suburban with leather seats and air conditioning. Nice touch for sure and totally worth it IMO. No crowded bus and direct drive to the condo. It is about a 45 minute drive to the condo from the airport and it worked out to like 20 bucks each way for each of us.

Firelight thinking of tuna.

IMG_3111.jpg

Fishtofino

IMG_3113.jpg

Some of the mountains on the way from the airport. The terrain is a lot different in this area than other parts of Mexico that I have been to. It is fairly dry and not very humid at all which makes the heat a little more bearable.

IMG_3115.jpg

Continued.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishtofino booked us in for a week at the Marina Sol Complex. This place is a little older but very well looked after and is only a block and a half away from the marina. It was very comfortable and it had two large bedrooms, living room, dining room, full sized kitchen, laundry room, and expansive veranda's on two sides (corner unit). I was very impressed with it and I will be booking a trip with the family there next year.

IMG_3119.jpg

The view from our veranda. It is a four building complex with a very large courtyard in the middle. There is a nice pool, bar and restaurant, games room, and expansive well maintained gardens with pathways. Very nice.

IMG_3681.jpg

Getting settled in wasn't too hard lol.

IMG_3163.jpg

Firelight's favorite drink. Crushed ice, tequila, the juice of two limes, and club soda. It was very
refreshing and became a new favorite of mine in short order.

IMG_3380.jpg

Continued....

We had a day off before the first two days of fishing so we walked around town a bit. I am still in awe at the money down there. I have only been to PV and the little town of Rincon de Guayabitos before so it was a little different to say the least.

The marina was only a block and a half from the condo. We walked through the mall entrance that borders the marina then went out the back to the marina.

The marina. Just a few boats lol.

IMG_3138.jpg

Looking back from the first shot.

IMG_3140.jpg

Part of the mall we couldn't even afford to step into let alone take a picture of lol.

IMG_3156.jpg

The local hog bar.

IMG_3194.jpg

Continued....

tumblr_maq77ecMHG1qejf6u.gif

I can't wait for the rest... You need a song to go with it..

Solid work John,...Jack,.. or Susie.. :D

Keep 'er coming.

Out on the main drag. All the familiar famous spots plus more.

This store looks so cool from the outside but is just a typical tourist trinket shop. Kinda sad.

IMG_3168.jpg

El Squid Row. A rather large bar with lot's of seating on three floors.

IMG_3171.jpg

The Giggling Marlin. They tie you up and pour liquor down your throat.

IMG_3177.jpg

The Pink Kitty (not what you think lol). Kind of a younger rich kid's rave club.

IMG_3172.jpg

Continued....

Happy ending bar. It's a classic lol.

IMG_3176.jpg

The local Pharmacy where you can get all your needs for Cabo life lol.

IMG_3178.jpg

Ah yes the famous Minerva's Tackle Shop. Exceptionally cool store.

IMG_3182.jpg

The biggest wall of Tequila I have ever seen.

IMG_3205.jpg

Continued....

On to the fishing.

Heading out in the morning on the Renegade Mike. Mike never showed on the first morning so Christian and Fernando took us out.

IMG_3207.jpg

After buying our licenses and checking out with the Fed's we bought some live bait.

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

Continued....

The bait industry down there is huge. 3 bucks per piece. We usually bought 10 for the day. After watching these guy's pull them in offshore I realize how lucrative it really is.

IMG_3223.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

Our own little stash.

IMG_3229.jpg

The run out is absolutely beautiful. Sun rise with the reflection on the window (one of my favorite shot's of the trip).

IMG_3233.jpg

Continued....

Firelight early in the morn. There is some serious tackle in from front of him. Mike does have a full arsenal of quality reel's and rod's.

IMG_3237.jpg

The famous hole in the rock that you see in all the Cabo vacation ad's.

IMG_3241.jpg

Nice sunrise shot with a boat.

IMG_3244.jpg

These shot's made my trip really. It truly is beautiful out on the water down there.

IMG_3251.jpg

Continued....

John great shots--please give us the good, the bad and the ugly- I'm off to Cabo in 3 weeks and don't want to get bit if avoidable- thanks!

John great shots--please give us the good, the bad and the ugly- I'm off to Cabo in 3 weeks and don't want to get bit if avoidable- thanks!

Be careful of what you eat and drink. WE are still feeling the effects. I' ve been going for 9 yrs and this is the 1st time in 7 yrs i got "the bug"

great read so far John and crew! Hoping there are some great fishy photos still to come, and maybe a video if we're lucky!?

Throw us a bone even....landed? lost? biggest? c'mooooooonn!!

MRACER,

When are you in Cabo? I am down here now,30 min north of Cabo. Fishing Dec 27- 28 with buddies. Shoot me a PM with details if you want to hook up for a beer. This goes for any other forum members that may be down. I'm here till end of Feb. If anyone's looking to fish or needs an extra guy I'm always in!

Cheers

$hitty deal!:D

Sorry, couldn't resist! All seriousness that is no fun indeed (being stuck on the can). I think I can see what did it though.... NEVER trust ice in the 3rd world! I would bet the crushed ice in the takillya drinks did the damage. Get well & hope you are able to get off the pot soon!!

I'll try to post some more today. Work is crazy so its hard to do during the day. I don't think we got the bug from the ice at the condo. They have a water treatment plant for the complex and there was a filter system under the sink as well. We think we picked it up in a restaurant. Keep your guard up at all times with the food and drinks. Most places are pretty good down there as it is all pretty modern. You just never know though. I'm slowly getting better but still not 100% yet.

At least it wasn't as bad as the bout I had when I was fifteen down there in PV. That time it was both ends and cramps so bad it felt like someone stabbing you with a knife!

Back