CABELAS BUYING SIR

S

SUDS

Just read that Cabelas is buying SIR. I guess they want to move into the Western Canada market.

THat sucks. Not sure why they would do that when they are already in the market so to speak. I always liked supporting a Canadian company. Too bad.

Cabelas has purchased SIR to be able to use it for a central location to sell all of Canada. Look for Bass Pro to open in Calgary next year followed by Bass Pro opening in the Fraser valley sometime in 2010 or 2011. Cabelas is also scheduled to open in Lacy, Washington some time later this year.

Call me dumb--- SIR ???

quote:Originally posted by rln
Cabelas has purchased SIR to be able to use it for a central location to sell all of Canada. Look for Bass Pro to open in Calgary next year followed by Bass Pro opening in the Fraser valley sometime in 2010 or 2011.

Always had excellent service from Cabela's over the years.

If Bass Pro does open here then I can see many small shops going under and their owners working for Bass Pro same as happened in Ontario.

One thing though this is a much smaller economy than Ontario and Bass Pro won't lavish a lot of money on a huge operation for tight fisted Canucks look for a relatively small store.

quote:Originally posted by rln
Cabelas has purchased SIR to be able to use it for a central location to sell all of Canada. Look for Bass Pro to open in Calgary next year followed by Bass Pro opening in the Fraser valley sometime in 2010 or 2011.

Always had excellent service from Cabela's over the years.

If Bass Pro does open here then I can see many small shops going under and their owners working for Bass Pro same as happened in Ontario.

One thing though this is a much smaller economy than Ontario and Bass Pro won't lavish a lot of money on a huge operation for tight fisted Canucks look for a relatively small store.

Seems to me that this is a classical situation where US Companies are slowly taking over Canadian markets by creeping in the back door. Why does this happen? We are forever chasing cheaper prices and bigger variety. I have often told my favourite tackle store, that if you want my business, you have to have what I can get elsewhere. I am sorry I ever told them that, because after they explained their process of buying and what they limited too, I began to realise, that it is more important to keep your local store in business than to consistantly threaten that you are going to buy online. If this becomes the case, we will just become another State of the USA as year after year, more local canadian businesses go out of business. It is the age old argument that Wal-Mart is killing local business, however we still support and buy from them, because we view them as hiring Canadian staff and supporting local communities. Realistically, all we doing is supporting the USA. I am guilty, I admit. I have decided to personally not support USA companies for this very reason. After all I am a proud Canadian.[V]

quote:Why does this happen? We are forever chasing cheaper prices and bigger variety.

It's not our fault if we want bigger/better that's what tackle companies always offer.

As mentioned in the other thread it's the middlemen who are responsible for outrageous markups </u> at least partially because of their 'exclusive distributorship agreements' for the Canadian market-some would call it a racket.[V]

The short time I spent in the tackle business both buying and selling retail was quite an eyeopener as to the markups by wholesalers and the money they make on each and every sale.

Not a pretty picture not at all.

My brother in laws family owned SIR, with his father having taken over the company from his grandfather, Sidney. It was his fathers wish to retire, and Cabela,s made an offer, I beleive they could not refuse. It is my understanding that Cabelas was more interested in the cataloge mailing list and will continue to sell the same products that SIR sold, complimented with some Cabela's products as well. I.I.

..."II" - what you say falls into play with most business owners...if someone or what ever offered a certain price for the business, then for sure if it was the right number they would sell. I know that I would sell my bait business if I was offered the right price - I would then re-invest and become an owner of the store I work for!

I think that most people would consider the same...it is what it is - everyone has equal opportunities to act upon ventures that happen to be available to anyone who seeks them.

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

Back