Buying Tuna

tubber

Coming to the Lower Mainland this weekend for family stuff. Anyone know if there are tuna available at the docks near Granville Island or at Steveston?
Thanks.

Thanks guys, son is near G.I. and mom is in Richmond so either works. One 15-20lber would do.
I was able to partially thaw one, cut and re-freeze loins a few years ago.

Thanks guys, son is near G.I. and mom is in Richmond so either works. One 15-20lber would do.
I was able to partially thaw one, cut and re-freeze loins a few years ago.

I live by the maritime museum/planetarium on Kits Point and can perhaps pop over should I be able to catch them at the docks when they're there and see?

I live by the maritime museum/planetarium on Kits Point and can perhaps pop over should I be able to catch them at the docks when they're there and see?
Thanks for the offer. It looks like a trip to Steveston on Sunday will work best to get it home still frozen.

We bought a couple in the spring and they were ~$7.50/lb for whole, undressed albacore that were about 8 lb each...

Follow up:
So what do you do with a 14lb frozen tuna? I took it out of the freezer, wrapped the head and much of the body in the old stanfield again, stuffed that into a soft cooler and left about 8 inches of the tail end sticking out for a couple hours.
Pretty easy to slice straight down through the still frozen but softer body with two hands on a big butcher knife. After that chunk thawed more, I cut 4 mini-loins off. Threw the head and body end back in a new thicker bag and back into the freezer.
Spicy and regular tuna sushi, plus poke today. Tataki and poke tomorrow with the other half of the thawed part.
Should be able to do this twice more, for a total of 4 chunks and 8 meals for 2 people.
Since it's not vac packed, we should get to it all by Remembrance Day.

Served up the last portion, the meat attached to the head end, to 5 people tonight. Tataki, poke, tuna rolls and spicy tuna rolls. Head (crab) and a bit of belly (hali) labelled for summer bait. Tasted very fresh and good, no issues with thawing just enough to cut off a chunk and re-freezing. The 14 lber, frozen on board in the round, ended up being enough for about 16 meals.

Served up the last portion, the meat attached to the head end, to 5 people tonight. Tataki, poke, tuna rolls and spicy tuna rolls. Head (crab) and a bit of belly (hali) labelled for summer bait. Tasted very fresh and good, no issues with thawing just enough to cut off a chunk and re-freezing. The 14 lber, frozen on board in the round, ended up being enough for about 16 meals.

you forgot the ceviche!!

Back