buying a boat in Quebec, need a few answers

Olde School

Hello.

I have found a boat in Quebec that I may buy, but have a few questions.

Since it is over $1500 to fly out for a look, once you include the overnight stay etc, I am setting this all up without seeing it in person.

How does one get a lien search done from BC on a boat in Quebec?

The boat is not on a trailer, any suggestions on how to get it to BC? Specifically from Quebec City to somewhere on the water in Vancouver. I can get it to the island from there by borrowing a
trailer.
The boat is 22' fiberglass.

Is there anything else I need to know / ask?

Thanks in advance!

Whoa, be careful unless you have someone you know or can trust to at least do a quick check. Have someone hear it run, look closely at the boat and preferably take it for a ride.

So many things can and often will go wrong with a long distance transaction. Shipping is possible however much more complicated if not on a trailer. Many transport companies will provide a quote if you give them specifics.

Not sure on checking registrations and liens in Quebec however many if not most scams of one sort or another originate there. Buyer beware.

For transport I would call someone like Campion and see if you can get a back haul. For all the other parts of the sale, no idea how to do it safely. Maybe spend a few hundred to have a survey and get a local broker to handle the sale if it is private.
Good Luck sounds interesting.

post it on uship canada see what kind of bids you get, your not committed to anything there
survey is a must, see if you can contact a local verified marine surveyor in Quebec and talk in person, maybe they can help out with the search for a few extra bucks?

I'd highly recommend you ask for many photos/angles of high res specific photos of the boat. This will increase the odds that the photos are recent and the boat you think you are buying actually exists as you hope. Of course it also gives you a rough idea of the shape and allows you to ask specific questions about accessories or anything you see in the photos. Photo angles that you ask for likely wouldn't exist without your specific request so increases the chance you are not being scammed . Have a third [neutral] party in QC handle the transaction cash exchange (example: Lawyer) and absolutely have a surveyor that you choose and hire to go over the boat AND do a sea trial. Have a local marine mechanic do a mechanical. Not only does this help you sleep at night knowing the boat has less chance to be a bad one but also someone accredited has actually visited the seller and that makes the sale all that more legitimate. If you are saving 1500 + and your travelling time you can use some saved cash ( and your time is worth $) for all the check costs.
Absolutely do not skip any of these steps to save a few hundred bucks. Realize buying long distance costs money no matter whether you travel to the boat or not. Buying a boat long distance should either be cheaper than buying local when all costs are added up OR it is a unique boat that you want and cannot find similar, closer to home.

My present Grady was purchased in NY without travelling to see it and all worked out well but had I been able to travel to it, I would have. I couldn't travel because I was already in Florida buying another boat at exactly the same time I had the other opportunity ...and couldn't fit in additional travel in the same week. I did all of the above carefully (except use the lawyer) because it was a purchase from a dealer and not private.

Use an accredited marine surveyor : here are some for the QC area

http://www.marinesurvey.org/canadian-regions/quebec.html

Search boat shippers - selecting direct shippers will often be better deal than U-ship since they are being paid with no cut to U-ship. Shipping a boat without its own trailer will coat more than if the boat had its own trailer - expect to get quotes all over the place and getting a low quote just depends what the shipper is doing, wher they are at the time and what else they may be able to piggy back at the time you want the shipping

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to check with a Notary out there with respect to liens. They do TONS of stuff in Quebec different than the rest of the country...or may even be able to point you in the right direction?

When I was settling my Aunt's estate as the Executor about 4 years ago we didn't have to use a lawyer at all and he did do some lien searches/financial diligence if memory serves me correctly. Regardless they may be able to steer you the right way. PM me if you'd like and I can give you contact info for a great one based in Gatineau.

Just an idea.

Back