Buying a BBQ for the boat-best options?

pescador

I want to put a small bbq on the boat this summer. I’m looking at one that will slide into one of my gunnel rod holder holes. I don’t have a huge boat so efficiency of size is paramount. Not doing a ton of cooking. Some small steaks, fresh fish, chorizo, veggies maybe and likely a camping style coffee maker. It’ll get used a half dozen times a year.
Any thoughts on best options. Brands, costs, personal learnings of what works and what doesn’t. I’m in Vancouver so likely Steveston Marine is my only option.

I bought a Magma bbq for my bro’s boat and it’s great. It heats up nicely and doesn’t blow out in the breeze. A couple of smokies on the grill while trolling is a perfectly simple meal that always hits the spot. I’d be surprised if you’d only use it half a dozen times a year.

I bought a Magma bbq for my bro’s boat and it’s great. It heats up nicely and doesn’t blow out in the breeze. A couple of smokies on the grill while trolling is a perfectly simple meal that always hits the spot. I’d be surprised if you’d only use it half a dozen times a year.
Maybe I got a dud but the heat output on mine is marginal at best. And the heat distribution is very uneven. Your right though on the wind doesn’t blow it out. That being said, wrap some left over pizza in tinfoil and it will warm that up nicely. Eventually

Maybe I got a dud but the heat output on mine is marginal at best. And the heat distribution is very uneven. Your right though on the wind doesn’t blow it out. That being said, wrap some left over pizza in tinfoil and it will warm that up nicely. Eventually
I got the "infrared" model and it's just a piece of metal over the burner. Thing gets ripper hot but for well over a grand (after cover and rail mounts) I'm not blown away. Glass is useless, knob is stiff and eventually fell off, had to buy an additional regulator to run the boat propane to it. Get a cheap one and replace it every couple years.

I use a force 10 stow and go. Square one...

works pretty well, as others have said heat regulation isn’t superb but you learn the hot spots on the grill. Works fine for burgers or smokies.

Have a magma as well. It’s been good but first one I’ve had so nothing to compare it to. Certainly no issues getting hot enough.

Thanks for setting up this thread. I’m also interested in getting one for my boat too.
What model Magma will slide into a gunnel rod holder?

I have the small sea-b-cue and love it but it’s still a little bit too big for my liking. The trailmate magna is smaller and works well for my buddy. Fits under a seat for storage.

Dickinson Sea-b-que....
Have had a few different tyoes over 30 yrs.
Dickinson service/support/part availability is great and they are in Vancouver.
I lost my temp guage glass last year (fell out) and they sent me a whole temp guage replacement... free.

Thanks for setting up this thread. I’m also interested in getting one for my boat too.
What model Magma will slide into a gunnel rod holder?

Steveston has a sale right now. I sense that gunnel mount will be the most efficient use of space on a small 23 ft boat. That’s my logic.

Anybody know how long the 1 lb gas bottles burn for? I assume you need a few on board.
Get a small 5-10 lb and hose. Way better. Unless you can fill the little ones yourself,
I use the scotty mount then I can move it around as I see fit.

EB0A1C9E-70F8-41E5-8CB5-584AC8DA35BA.jpeg

I got this one and it has no makers mark on it...the propane in the 1lb bottles lasts around 5 or 6 cooking’s of smokies or what have you before the thing is empty. Yes the 1 lb bottles are pricey but they stow away nicely as opposed to larger bottles. what’s a few bucks to a boat owner haha. the base has this triangular piece welded on so i added a scotty “male” end for the scotty base.

Attachments

• 95687FAE-28F0-40FA-AC04-113F38473786.jpeg
    95687FAE-28F0-40FA-AC04-113F38473786.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 1D763171-5709-4EC7-B859-E0E1674111E6.jpeg
    1D763171-5709-4EC7-B859-E0E1674111E6.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 65
Wouldn't one of those little portable Weber's work and it could be moved around and used camping etc. Obviously not grilling in sloppy seas, if not attached, but would work fine for all other times I could imagine.

I got this one and it has no makers mark on it...the propane in the 1lb bottles lasts around 5 or 6 cooking’s of smokies or what have you before the thing is empty. Yes the 1 lb bottles are pricey but they stow away nicely as opposed to larger bottles. what’s a few bucks to a boat owner haha. the base has this triangular piece welded on so i added a scotty “male” end for the scotty base.
Man hard to bbq in those crappy conditions.

I miss summer.

Wouldn't one of those little portable Weber's work and it could be moved around and used camping etc. Obviously not grilling in sloppy seas, if not attached, but would work fine for all other times I could imagine.
Just check with your insurance first. They usually ask for marine safety certificates on your heater or bbq. Not worth messing up with them IMO just to save a few $$.

I have a portable BBQ that I usually take on the boat for a day of picnic on the shore but I’ve never thought of using it on the deck, unattached. All it takes is a big wake and you could be in big trouble.

Last edited:
Back