Buoy size for two trap prawn set up

Bifmalibu

Hey.

I'm going to run two Bauer style traps off one line for the first time and I need a scotchman. Is the A0 size plenty for this? I plan to add a few weights along the line as well. thx.

Hey.

I'm going to run two Bauer style traps off one line for the first time and I need a scotchman. Is the A0 size plenty for this? I plan to add a few weights along the line as well. thx.
Where do you fish and is your goal keeping the float from going under or floating the traps? I do the basic size and then put a trailing float bullet style 7 feet behind it. If the main Scotsman goes under I should be able to see the trailer. You can see a double round trap string floating in my prawning YouTube video, I’d say get at least that size but I’m not sure what the guy used. I figure my two will always float but I haven’t accidentally dropped it any in 400 yet!

Just remember bigger is not always better when it come to keeping your scotchman above water. Depending on how much surface current there is where you fish a bigger float grabs more current and can get sucked under. I run a small scotchman and a seine corks about 4' behind it and about 25' of bouy line deeper than the depth at high water I'm fishing in. Never had one sink yet but lots of others around me do.

I put a crab float in front of my scotchman with the pointed end towards the trap. The scotchman is about 6 feet back from that.
This means that the current is hitting a small pointed object and not the large surface area of the scotchman. It is also much easier to grab on retrieval with a boat hook as there is 6 feet of line floating betweent the 2 bouys.
I have seen large commercial bouys pulled under by the current so like Capt_Ed said, bigger is not always better

Back