Bullheads?

Mac1

Hi all, I have heard that bullheads are a good starter for young kids to fish off the pier - fun for them and a good way to get introduced. I was going to take them down to the pier in crescent beach close to us. Can anyone tell me bait and set up? I assume just jigging would work? Any insight would be appreciated - if we can actually catch something, much more chance the kids will want to stick with it! THANKS

Never used bait but my first cast this season brought one up by accident. Was fishing for salmon. Just caught it casting
qe9a7apa.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

very small treble hook. small piece of clam, mussell, bacon, hotdog etc... small split shot weight 6" away from hook. let the wight touch bottom a bit and keep the bait laying on the bottom. gulp, you gotta bullhead. kinda like catchin hali only miniature. lol we had buckets of handlines ready to go, build a raft and anchor as the tide is coming in over a sandy/mud/weedy bottom. hope this helps, spent my entire youth in pursuit of them, good bycatch is the odd flounder or sole.

Hey, thanks very much - that is exactly the info I was looking for, much appreciated - I will report back with our success!

when i was little i use to catch them all the time on deadly dick lures, 1/4 and 1/8 ounce but id assume any little minnow jig would work fished close to the bottom and keep little minds busy jiggin away

now that im a little more crafty, when i take my little nieces fishing on the docks i use a 2" power bait minnow and a 1/4ounce white jig head, they slay the rock cod, bull heads and baby lings around the dock. the single hooks makes it much easier to shake them off and the up faced hook virtually never snags.

good luck!

Great tips! I also used jigheads but tipped with tube worm from the docks or just a chunk of mussel I got from the under side of the dock most times.

when i was little i use to catch them all the time on deadly dick lures, 1/4 and 1/8 ounce but id assume any little minnow jig would work fished close to the bottom and keep little minds busy jiggin away

now that im a little more crafty, when i take my little nieces fishing on the docks i use a 2" power bait minnow and a 1/4ounce white jig head, they slay the rock cod, bull heads and baby lings around the dock. the single hooks makes it much easier to shake them off and the up faced hook virtually never snags.

good luck!

As a kid I spent countless hours fishing of docks, beaches, rocks with a trout rod, a few hooks, weights and whatever bait I could scrounge up. Piling worms, limpet or clam meat, pieces of discarded bait.
Caught lots of Bullheads, Dogfish, perch and even a few yummy flat fish. Stay away from trebles. I still have nightmares about digging them out, fish and people.
Bullheads will attack anything that comes within range that will fit in their mouth.

I grew up fishing for them on the white rock pier. Just used a sea worm, treble, and some split shot. The biggest one I ever caught was up around 18 inches, nearly broke my rod on the way up out of the water!

Got a bully today that weighed between 10 and 12 lbs. Fought like a Trojan! Released to swim another day. I was tempted to keep it...but I am doing OK on lings-- so this cabezon lived.

Blows me away every time I see someone using treble hooks or suggesting them, send them all to your local metal recycler ! :eek:

I'll agree with this statement for catching bullheads a small barbless hook (size 8) plus some worm is all you need. But jigging in a boat using a J or circle hook would be silly, unless the regulations specified it.

I'll agree with this statement for catching bullheads a small barbless hook (size 8) plus some worm is all you need. But jigging in a boat using a J or circle hook would be silly, unless the regulations specified it.

A circle would be silly. Whats a "J" hook? Are you refering to a standard single hook? I use barbless single hooks all the time. Easier to release unwanted fish without tearing the crap out of their mouths.

A circle would be silly. Whats a "J" hook? Are you refering to a standard single hook? I use barbless single hooks all the time. Easier to release unwanted fish without tearing the crap out of their mouths.

Yes a standard hook. I use them for trolling barbless, but for jigging I'll stick with a treble all day long especially jigging for halis.

I take a treble and make a "double' out of it......then crimp one barb.

Use these on jigs....

One of them in the pic is snelled.....those hooks you can bend the eye without it breaking (some brands you can't)...that particular one I used at the back end of a hoochy.

These "doubles " work just as good as trebles for jigging....and you can get the hook out of a "button-up" much easier......

002.jpg

Back