Brown's Bay

I recall someone who knew what they were doing in those early years giving away hootchies. Can't recall the persons name but I believe they lived in the Comox area. Would that be you? If so, thanks very much.
That was me. Still here. Still fishing. And you're welcome. This is like getting the call to get the band back together. lol Back then I ran Blue Orca Charters. Paul T.

That was me. Still here. Still fishing. And you're welcome. This is like getting the call to get the band back together. lol Back then I ran Blue Orca Charters. Paul T.
Just imagine your buddy’s drunken headlights illuminating the night sky like a beacon….calling you all back to the Browns Bay Derby… but instead of a Batman symbol in his headlights, it’s this:

Attachments

• 93CA3259-7B65-4437-A5CB-57ABBD857B9F.jpeg
    93CA3259-7B65-4437-A5CB-57ABBD857B9F.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 55
Yes it was Paul. I remember now. That was a great weekend and you started us off right with all the fishing tips. Cheers

Managed to beg my way onto a boat for Saturday. Can't wait to get dialed in again and enjoy the fun. If anyone has room for Sunday or both days?? I'm not a novice to this fishery and can give advise where none is needed lol.

Got recalled to work the day before the Derby.
Given this will be my final shift for the year and what they pay, I cannot say no to them.
Have a Blast Folks!
I'll be thinking of you...

Cheers,
Nog

Given this will be my final shift for the year and what they pay, I cannot say no to them.
Have a Blast Folks!

Cheers,
Nog
Who’s going to tell your stories Matt? This sucks when work interferes with play😎

Have a Blast Folks!

Cheers,
Nog
Well ain't that a kick in the nards. I know this was a tough call to make. Next year!

Johnstone Strait Chum test fishing catches to date have been poor and assessment information suggests the Inside Southern Chum return is tracking below the 1.0 million Chum critical threshold identified in the 2023-24 Southern Salmon Integrated Fisheries Management Plan and Chapter 6 of the Pacific Salmon Treaty. The Area H troll Johnstone Strait mixed stock Chum fishery will be delayed until further notice.

Area H troll fishers are advised that the test fishing catches and abundance estimates will continue to be monitored and if required a revised fishing plan, based on updated in-season information, will inform any future fishing opportunities.

The Johnstone Strait Chum test fishery is expected to continue until October 31, 2023 to monitor the run.

It is possible the main run is late. Way back in the daze when I had a commercial troller, we had a chum opening in the Straits on Halloween day.
The fishing was phenomenal and even with about only 9 hours of daylight to fish I think the fleet average was about 500/boat. just sayin..

I would say that there has not been a significantly late run in the past dozen years.
The runs are just not materializing.
Of course I am optimistic that they will show up tomorrow, or the day after that, or...

Ran through (not fishing) day before yesterday and tons of Jumpers through deep water area. Saw a couple boats hooked up. More fish that I expected to see given test fishery results

Effective 00:01 hours October 19 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2023, the daily limit of Chum salmon is zero (0) in the following waters:
Areas 111, 11 to 20, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 and 29-8.
Looks like we are buying more beer for the Chum Derby?!?!?!

Fishery Notice​

Category(s):

RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Subject:

FN1127-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chum - Areas 11 to 20, 111, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5, 29-8 - Chum Management Measures - Effective October 19, 2023

The Chum Salmon return to Southern BC has been poor to date. Test fishing catches in Johnstone Strait are indicating the return has a low likelihood of meeting the 1.0 million critical threshold and test fishing catches in the Fraser River are estimating a terminal return of 403,000 Chum. Returns to many Strait of Georgia systems have also been low and suggest that many systems will likely see returns below target. In an effort to conserve Chum stocks returning to Southern BC waters, a decision has been made to take a precautionary in-season approach to recreational fisheries.

Effective 00:01 hours October 19 until 23:59 hours December 31, 2023, the daily limit of Chum salmon is zero (0) in the following waters:
Areas 111, 11 to 20, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 and 29-8.

Variation Order: 2023-RFQ-411

We knew that was coming after the recent update notices.

Not true, rec chum salmon in the ocean is open pretty much all the time reguardless of returns.

The Rec chum harvest in the ocean amounts to such little amount it never really mattered. Like we’re taking .0001%

But the last few years they changed chum management in the IFMP

The returns this year are similar to 2021, only thing that changed since then is IFMP and management

Not true, rec chum salmon in the ocean is open pretty much all the time reguardless of returns.

The Rec chum harvest amounts to such little amount it never really mattered.

But the last few years they changed chum management in the IFMP
the recent notices that were received indicated how low the returns have been, to the point where some on here had commented on the low numbers, hence my reason for suggesting not being surprised at the closure.

Back