Browns Bay Chum Derby!!!!!!! 4th Year For SFBC

Hey-- good luck to all the chumlie addicts!!!! I am sitting this one out. Pics please!!

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Swiggy

quote:Originally posted by -smtw

Anyone have any ideas if there is any place to tie-up a 19' boat for the weekend, other than running up from CR ? there is 0 space at Browns Bay left, and a waiting list... ideas appreciated !

SMTW send me an email. I have a spot at the marina and with all my crew bailing I am not attending. )Ou can have my spot by paying the moorage fee.

If anyone needs tickets I have 3 you can have.

swiggy1@telus.net

Have a fun weekend everyone!

Hey, thanks for the offer.... scrapped the idea of heading up and gave up campsite already :-S ..... have fun folks. Hope to see some pics when everyone gets back.

Saturday totals were 50 fish weighed in for 450 rods windy day but today is calm and Almost Sunny~~~~~~SLOW FISHIN & ~~~~~with small fish ~~~~~~Stay tuned

Twas truly a most humbling derby this year.
First, thanks to the crew and captain of baddogs rig on Friday.
Although it was a normal WET Browns Bay Friday, nothing but trolling in the dead sea for the afternoon. Good thing lead is cheap now!
Was crewing on Das Boot for Saturday. Worked hard for the one we got.
Yes, ONE. Not looking good until we saw what the tally was for the day.
Today I was with LastChance.
God it's good to be a fish wh*$e. Nothing til eleven then we chanced upon a willing school at the right time and place. Seven on and five to the hold.
Forty five minutes of action to salvage some long faces.
Just in time for weigh in at noon thirty.
A HUGE congrats to our own Island Girl.
Second place at just a hair over 17 pounds and got beat out by a fish caught at 15 minutes before shut down today.
Just goes to show, if you put your time in, you WILL be rewarded with good karma. Way to go Caroline. Couldn't have happened to a greater fisher-person (if that's a word).
Great derby, all in all. Nice to see some familiar faces and make some new friends too.
The Browns Bay people, as always, keep on improving things while still keeping it a fun event.
Next year it is hopped that DFO will give us a window before the derby (as they have in the past). Unfortunately commercials had their quotas to fill while the fish were there.
At least they got plenty of fish. Hopefully they will be able to make some money. It's only going to get tougher in the years to come, I'm afraid.
Man my a$$ is sore still (Das Boot--- German for needing some cushins for the crew next year!!!) Gotta rest....

boc

do you really think the commercial boys put that big a dint in the run (not many fishing compard to years ago). The chinook,coho,sockeye,pinks were'nt there this year why would the chum BE.

Yea it was a hoot even if fishing sucked. We did ok went 6 for 8 with nothin big. Had a triple header in a crowd today it was pretty funny with two guys in a riptide. Complete gongshow.Only talked to a few members blue orca, osama and baddog i think. Baddog that was a weird full moon at 8am eh? We were in the malibu with the flamer dancing on the bow all morning. We didnt hear anything about no campfires? We had a nice one going off the point each night and had a pod of orcas swim right past us off the fishing pier in the pitch black. I got a few pics ill throw up later

Just finished preppin the guts for steelies.Heres a few pics didnt take many.

derb3.jpg

derb2.jpg

derb1.jpg

derb.jpg

bradgfish, I am not sugesting that they made a HUGE impact on the total run, but they were bow heavy when they pulled up on Saturday morning at 09:00. Wiped out most of the fish holding in GreenSea, Deepwater and Plumper. As usual, it takes a couple days for the next wave of Chum to replenish the holding areas, hence Sundays better numbers for the derby. The rest of this week should be awesome with good tides and weather.
I would be very hesitant to campare this Chum run with other species that have been very short of returns lately. Being the least targeted, has it's advantages. So far.
They are late this year (what wasn't) and for the most part are still bright. I should expect them to be in good numbers for the next three weeks or so for those wanting to get some smokers in the larder.

boc

Kelly, was that first fish caught upside down too? Wow!
You ARE the MAN.
Next time, turn your hook the other way.:D:D

boc

Congrats to Michael B (Legend) the winner at 17.75 #. Netted by yours truly GLG.
The prize money will be spent fixing the damage to the boat that occurred while pulling it in. Blew the side window out while trying to chase the fish as it ran to the front of the boat and got hung up on the front cleat. Any left over dough to be spent replacing lost gear (canon balls, DR wire and clips) from the weekends fun. A big thanks to all at Brown’s Bay for a well run derby.
Good to meet other SFBC folks and congrats to Islandgirl.
Will be back again next year.
Fish caught at the lighthouse on pink and light blue squirt with an orange spin and glow. Purple Haze flasher with 3 foot leader at 60 feet down.
GLG

Frayedknot can you post the details from third place?

I agree GLG. Job well done by the crew at Browns Bay, Saturday night was a blast at the beer tent, excellent tunes and lots of beers consumed. Thanks to Dick and his girls, great grub. Looking forward to next year.

This was the first time chum fishing for us and despite the tough fishing, our group had fun (well maybe not when our 17ft whaler started taking on water in the rough seas on saturday and the bilge pump stopped working!). Too bad we weren't able to meet up with you guys as we were staying in town and couldn't stick around in the evening.

We were out for about and hour on Friday night to get our bearings and work out all the kinks.

Saturday was tough. We marked fish at 140 but only managed to land two on pink/black and pink/light blue skirts fishing down deep. We fished the deepwater bay area and got our fish north of the main pack at the lighthouse. Chased off the water by about 1:00 and went in to weigh in and have some of the best halibut and chips I've ever had.

Sunday was better. Fished the same area but much shallower at the magic 60/40. Landed 3 on google eyes and one on pink/blue squirt. Nothing of size. We missed the bite at Plumper (d**n could have tubbed out!). I saw Island Girl's fish at the cleaning table, big brute of a buck. I was the one "chumming" for some extra roe (but not from that fish!).

Big thanks to the crew at BB for putting on a great derby!

If anyone is wondering why 99% of the anglers never touched a fish, here is the answer....

Areas 12 and 13 (Study Area Chum)

The Chum Working Group has concluded its pre-fishery meetings, and has
developed a fishing plan and planning schedule for 2008. The gillnet fleet will
have 3 full fleet opportunities. The first fishery took place from October 6-8,
with an estimated catch of 22,500 chum by 115 vessels. The second opportunity
took place from October 13-16 with an estimated catch of 28,750 chum by 125
vessels. Please note these catch estimates are preliminary at this time as
there are catch reports outstanding from both openings. The third opportunity
is outlined below.

Gill Nets open for 41 hrs from 16:00 hrs Thurs October 23 to 09:00 hrs Saturday
Oct 25, in the following areas;

Area 13:
In Subareas 13-6, 13-7 (excluding Deepwater Bay) 13-8 to 13-10, a portion of 13-
11 lying west of a line from Bodega Point on Quadra Island to a boundary sign
at 50 degrees 16.390 minutes N by 125 degrees 22.620 minutes W 13-27 to 13-32,
13-35, and 13-40 (Westerly of a line running from the prominent point
approximately 1.5 miles east of Eden Point across to a boundary sign on the
Hardwicke Island shore opposite). The regular Amor de Cosmos Creek boundary
will be in effect. Minimum mesh size 149 mm (5 7/8 inches). Maximum depth 90
meshes, maximum hang ratio 3:1, corkline to web distance minimum 0 cm and
maximum 2 m. Variation Order No. 2008-CR-GN-04.

"SIMPLE SOLUTION TO THE PINE BEETLE EPIDEMIC:
LET DFO MANAGE IT, THEY'LL KILL EM' ALL"

You bet is was a great weekend ,already looking forward to next year . Browns bay and staff put on a super event and fun time . Nice to meet some more SFBC people .Sure was tough fishing on saturday , but things changed on sunday ( thanks for the extra gear and other presents ( Tailout )must of helped ) went 5 for 11 [B)] with yours truly doing the netting for Shawn P. and third place at #16 .Congrats to Micheal B./GLG and Island Girl , on some other very nice fish as well .

As always a GREAT DERBY.The fishing sucked from Thursday till Sunday early in the morning.My partner and I did manage to get a couple every day but not like years past.The Gillnetter opening did not help.The fish showed Sunday later in the morning and those in the right place hammered them.Congrats to the people that caught fish to get into the money.
Now all that being said we brought 4 new people this year and they all had a great time.We started Thursday night and showed the newbies around the camp ground.Met some people from the board and drank lots and had some good fun.Friday and Saturday went from the cabin to the beer tent and back to the clubhouse.Saturday night at the beer tent was a great time music and 4 beer for $10.
Thanks to all the staff at Browns Bay for being great hosts, and YES WE WILL BE BACK can't wait till next year.

Back