Bridgeview/Tom-Mac 18cc

Northfish

Fortunate to snap up this example of a Bridgeview 18cc recently, not the best timing but it was too good to pass up! It's in reasonably good shape considering it's sat in a field for a while and was a little to close to a bonfire... I've been slowly chipping away at the to do list whenever I find the time, with the ultimate goal being a well sorted and thought out day boat to take locally as well as boat camping/exploring.

Getting on the ferry back to the Island;

20230617_213452.jpg

Bit of a clean up;

20230710_130529.jpg

Replacing the steering ram seals, support bracket was a ***** to get off. Ended up using a gear puller with a hose clamp around it to keep the jaws from expanding and slipping.

20230715_125153.jpg

With most maintenance caught up on, sea trials tomorrow then some new shiny bits to go on!

Were you sanding the sides?
Why the Tom Mac heading?
Looking good.

According to the build plate my boat was built at Tom Mac, not sure what the story is there but I'll let you know if I find out more!

I used starbrite aluminum restorer as a first step along with a scotch pad, removed the oxidation completely with a decent enough finish for now. Nasty chemical though, ppe and directions are your friend. Long term I want to go for a full brushed look and zolatone on the inside.

Tom-mac was a big deal in commercial aluminum boats and skiffs in the 80's. I don't know when transitions of product and name took place.

Wow!! What a great find! Doesn’t look like it was used as a guide boat like so many of them… Is that an older Merc 90 4 stroke on it?

Wow!! What a great find! Doesn’t look like it was used as a guide boat like so many of them… Is that an older Merc 90 4 stroke on it?
I don't think it was either, there's no remnants of any lodge or guide branding on the side and very minimal wear for the age. Finding a few things here and there but overall very pleased! It's a 2006 model year 115 four stroke, yamaha powerhead and mercury lower unit. Runs pretty well considering but there is a slow oil leak from the front side somewhere. Hoping to get a couple years out of it at least before repowering.

Took it out for the first time today, ran pretty well but definitely needs a new fuel pump. Everything else worked flawlessly, the autopilot was an unexpected bonus. Super helpful when fishing solo.

Some developments on prior issues, rather than a fuel pump it's an injector in cylinder #3 that's bit the bullet and I ordered a replacement just have to wait which sucks. The sending unit for the fuel gauge was either not sealed properly or someone previously snapped a machine screw trying to tighten it, so fuel was gushing into the bilge. Which was fun. Should be fairly straightforward, at worst I may have to drain the tank and retap the thread.

20230717_095944.jpg20230719_131013.jpg

You seem to be having great success with that Starbrite aluminum product. Just be mindful that if you’re thinking of doing the checker plate floor, it will be like a mirror when you’re trying to fish, and the glare that comes up off of it might not be favorable. I know when they were building those new with the checker plate floors, (they’re not doing it anymore) they were so shiny at first it took a while for them to dull out to where the bounce back of the sunlight is not so hard on the eyes. Yours might be scuffed up enough to where some brightness come back, but not blinding, however, just be mindful.

You seem to be having great success with that Starbrite aluminum product. Just be mindful that if you’re thinking of doing the checker plate floor, it will be like a mirror when you’re trying to fish, and the glare that comes up off of it might not be favorable. I know when they were building those new with the checker plate floors, (they’re not doing it anymore) they were so shiny at first it took a while for them to dull out to where the bounce back of the sunlight is not so hard on the eyes. Yours might be scuffed up enough to where some brightness come back, but not blinding, however, just be mindful.

Yeah I've purposely not used it on the floor for that reason... one of the projects this winter will be to acid wash and non skid the deck but for now I'm leaving it as is!

Yeah I've purposely not used it on the floor for that reason... one of the projects this winter will be to acid wash and non skid the deck but for now I'm leaving it as is!
I did mine just to help remove some grime, but did not use a scotch pad or anything similar, it cleaned it really well and did not blind me with bounce back

Hi Northfish, I couldn’t figure out how to ad photos on a pm. It’s so easy here… why can’t they be the same! Lol. I meant to say in my message that you’re welcome to borrow injectors till yours show up.

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    598.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0068.jpeg
    IMG_0068.jpeg
    726.4 KB · Views: 129
Hi Northfish, I couldn’t figure out how to ad photos on a pm. It’s so easy here… why can’t they be the same! Lol. I meant to say in my message that you’re welcome to borrow injectors till yours show up.
No worries! I can't figure that out either to be honest. Thanks for the offer but I'm on the north island so not quite a short drive 😅

How are you liking the 150 compared to the 115? As I said previously, I'm hoping to get a couple years out of the current power but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't last too long either. As we all know new power isn't cheap, I could get a 115 and new 9.9 for the price of the 150 alone, but more power is more better...

I love the 150 on there! 3600rpm = 27mph . Easy on the fuel and moving parts! Lol. I've got 600 lbs in motors back there . I put 120 lbs of lead in the bow locker and she sits trim, just abit lower overall . The 115 was totally adequate, but I needed the motor for another project and had the 150 already. I've seen one twinned with a pair of Yamaha 70's
, that might be the another option.... Currently debating whether to weld on a t-top I picked up when I first got the boat...

I love the 150 on there! 3600rpm = 27mph . Easy on the fuel and moving parts! Lol. I've got 600 lbs in motors back there . I put 120 lbs of lead in the bow locker and she sits trim, just abit lower overall . The 115 was totally adequate, but I needed the motor for another project and had the 150 already. I've seen one twinned with a pair of Yamaha 70's
, that might be the another option.... Currently debating whether to weld on a t-top I picked up when I first got the boat...

The work skiff I use is a 17 foot with a 150, runs about the same although I feel it's got the wrong prop on it. The weight was another thing I was concerned about, but like you I'd like to eventually put a full top with windshield and heater so that might balance it out enough! Twins is definitely something I've considered too, especially for the redundancy and I wouldn't be surprised to be able to get it on plane with a single 75!

Any reviews from the owners about that set up?
One was from a former Coast Guard employee in the USA who said he has old-school thinking that you never take a trip without a back up method of getting home. And the other ones were at the lodges at west coast resorts, where they did an extended transom and hung two motors on it, they were generally used by the lodge for doing deliveries out to the fleet and picking up fish, etc. So no real comments about the performance, but you are doubling the weight. The 75 and the 115 weigh the same. 720 lbs on the transom based on modern 115 weight. The Mercaha might be heavier.

One was from a former Coast Guard employee in the USA who said he has old-school thinking that you never take a trip without a back up method of getting home. And the other ones were at the lodges at west coast resorts, where they did an extended transom and hung two motors on it, they were generally used by the lodge for doing deliveries out to the fleet and picking up fish, etc. So no real comments about the performance, but you are doubling the weight. The 75 and the 115 weigh the same. 720 lbs on the transom based on modern 115 weight. The Mercaha might be heavier.
A transom extension with a swim grid was what I had in mind, although after the fabrication and two new engines I'm not sure it would be worth it. The mercaha (lol) weighs 387lb according to the sticker anyway.

Back