Brake adjustment on Scotty High Speed DR

pescador

Just bought a brand new high speed 2106 Scotty DR (3rd unit for when buddies come along). The thing would not free fall worth crap over the weekend first time out. It was raining hard all day at Renfrew and I guess some water/humidity got into it and it seemed to get worse as the day went on. I've gone on the Scotty site to check out the adjustment technique. It's not too clear. It looks like you pull off the adjustment tool and tweak the bolt some how?? Any input would be appreciated...

Had that problem with my new ones.
Brought them to gone fishing and they changed out a part. (sprocket I think)
Worked better but I have found that you have to be careful with the rinsing off after use.
Trick is to not get water in the brake.
I tried to adjust the brake with a 9/16 but found that the adjustment was too fine.
Too much and the break would not hold or too little and it would not spool out.
That's when they were new.
Mine work great now as I think it has some wear on the pads and I keep it dry.
When I let my gear down I use the brake and keep my thumb on the spool.
It helps to control your speed going down.
Perhaps these new HP's need a brake-in period?
I had my braid get wrapped around the axle the other day from bouncing bottom and going up 10 feet.
Took it apart on the water and fixed it.
I then made the brake adjustment and the brake worked way better, like the old style.
You might want to bring a wrench and adjust with that as it is saves steps with the 2 nuts

Might add that ... leave the scotty tool and top nut on when adjusting.
Use you 9/16 wrench on the bottom nut.
Lefty loose righty tight.

Had the same issue this past winter a few times, just grabbed the spool with the other hand and gave it a little push start and away they went
then once the brake pads get cleaned off a bit it works fine,
something to get used to I guess being that its a moisture issue and not a part defect.

Not sure if the "new" ones are diferent from the old ones but I run my braking light and keep my thumb on the spool as I realease the brake to provide a better effec, seems to work...

Bret

I was having the same problem, it wouldn't run out properly and would make clunking noise. Noticed quite a bit of belt dust around the motor. The problem was the drive sprocket on the motor and would cause the belt to jam.got a new one from the chandler and it's back to new. It looks like the cogs on the new sprocket mesh better with the belt.
Edit; apparently they have seen quite a few of these coming back and the new sprocket is an upgraded part.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
My older Scott wasn't releasing fast enough so I just loosened the nut on the top. Big mistake, I slackened it off too much now my brake doesn't come on automatically. Sent a ball to the bottom a couple time accidently. I guess there is asweet spot that I have to find on the brake adjustment to release the ball down and automatically lock the brake after retrieving the line.
This may not help you much though.

I was having the same problem, it wouldn't run out properly and would make clunking noise. Noticed quite a bit of belt dust around the motor. The problem was the drive sprocket on the motor and would cause the belt to jam.got a new one from the chandler and it's back to new. It looks like the cogs on the new sprocket mesh better with the belt.
Edit; apparently they have seen quite a few of these coming back and the new sprocket is an upgraded part.
Cheers

Yup when I cleaned and adjusted my rigger yesterday I found lot's of belt dust.
I did bring mine in for the new sprocket upgrade last winter.
Perhaps the upgrade was not much of an upgrade.
Cleaned it all up and flipped the belt and it worked great last night.
Followed the utube instructions and set my drag to 27 lbs.
Will see how things go but may bring this one in for another upgrade....
GLG

My older Scott wasn't releasing fast enough so I just loosened the nut on the top. Big mistake, I slackened it off too much now my brake doesn't come on automatically. Sent a ball to the bottom a couple time accidently. I guess there is asweet spot that I have to find on the brake adjustment to release the ball down and automatically lock the brake after retrieving the line.
This may not help you much though.

Take a look at the video that I posted above to set your brake / drag on your rigger.
Easy to do with your fish scale.
GLG

Back