Bragging Rights Photo Op

.Aug 28, 2003. caught at Otter point in 50 ft of water.
Weighed it in at island Outfitters and Eagle Eye. I received lots of great gifts for this fish.
On the same day, two other springs over 50lb were caught and taken into Eagle Eye Wilderness.
I think those big fish are all gone now.

62.5lb.

Attachments

• 62lb Doug & Ralph 1.JPG
    62lb Doug & Ralph 1.JPG
    493.4 KB · Views: 192
For my father in laws 60th birthday, the whole family rented a cabin in Grapplercove in bamfield. We spent a week there with lots of fishing and great memories. Highlight of the trip was a night bite over on the backside of Fleming. As we roll up, we see a bunch of the eagle book boats fishing doin the tack and we wait for our opening as we’re rigging up a couple anchovies to go down. I’ve fished quite a bit on the ocean but usually it’s always with spoons or my buddy is doing the bait thing. I said what the hell. Gotta learn somehow. Stuffed a chovie in a helmet, and flicked it over the edge. Buddy looks at it. Looks at me. Shrugs his shoulders and says “ **** it. Send it”. It had a weird stall to it ever couple rolls. Down on the rigger she goes. A couple minutes later, the rod starts to bob, I grab it, set it off the rigger and hand it to the father-in-law not expecting much. He reels down on it and the thing just explodes. Bashes his knuckles, and is screamin. We pull out of the pack and fight it for 10-12 minutes. My buddy that owns the boat is just driving and no one has seen the fish. I see the flasher pop up so I grab a net and get ready to land it. As I’m messing around trying to get it into the net, the capn is yelling at me to net it, I’m yelling at him that it doesn’t fit in the net. Managed to get it to finally flip in and the rest is history. Biggest fish for my father-in-law. You couldn’t wipe the smile off his face for the rest of the trip. He still talks about it.

Attachments

• IMG_9230.jpeg
    IMG_9230.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_9229.jpeg
    IMG_9229.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 220
My 40 lb. Tyee at Black Gold Lodge, Rivers Inlet in 2015. Cut plug herring, 6 oz weight, I think 18-20 pulls. We just did a 180 turn to go with the current, my rod was on the slow side so a fat lazy chinook said yes. The adage of 1 minute per pound when fighting these with no flasher was close, 35 minutes to the net. It was in the inlet somewhere between Roughs Bluff and Draney, but closer to Roughs Bluff. They grow them big up there. Nowhere near the mouth though, well towards where the lodges prefer we fish so the monster size stock is not being targeted. Last fish of the trip, we were late getting back, and the plane was warming up so they just finished vacuum packing it and quickly put it on board with us.

050.JPG046.JPG049.JPG

Last edited:
Not looking good for me getting to the coast this year so I’ve got to do the best I can. My three youngest all reeled in their own walleye and took turns netting them. The boys are twins and very competitive last year was slow for them and they each caught one fish Grayson got a walleye Grady got a stinky slew shark lol. All winter Grady got upset about not getting a walleye when the subject came up. This year he got his revenge and got the biggest one ever day.

Attachments

• IMG_7987.jpeg
    IMG_7987.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7897.jpeg
    IMG_7897.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7930.jpeg
    IMG_7930.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8044.jpeg
    IMG_8044.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 74
IMG_3393.jpeg

Sometime around 2007 at Buck point in Haida Gwaii. Was the end of the day and decided to just troll back into the bay toward Zeller's cabin, classic Hail Mary tac. Bird nested the reel, hand lined for some time. Gaffed into the boat. Fishing a 14 foot Lund. Weight unknown.

I didn't really think of my presentation.
It's a big fish and my forearms were already done for the day.
I always hold keeper fish by the gills, not sticking my hands in that mouth! Everything else seems to be slippery or spiney.
Here is my casual presentation, conversation with a big ling:
IMG_20230716_124736872_HDR.jpg

I didn't really think of my presentation.
It's a big fish and my forearms were already done for the day.
I always hold keeper fish by the gills, not sticking my hands in that mouth! Everything else seems to be slippery or spiney.
Here is my casual presentation, conversation with a big ling:
View attachment 95549
Haha love it .

Back