Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

Tell you how much maintenance they do
Yep. Exactly my thought when I I looked at that battery box. I’d still consider that boat if the survey is a pass and there’s no rot anywhere. Electronics would need an upgrade but that could wait. I agree with Kaelc, that boat has the potential to make you some $$ in our crazy market. Exactly the reason why I think the demand pressure could be going down a notch once the border opens up.

Last edited:
Yep. Exactly my thought when I I looked at that battery box. I’d still consider that boat if the survey is a pass and there’s no rot anywhere. Electronics would need an upgrade but that could wait. I agree with Kaelc, that boat has the potential to make you some $$ in our crazy market. Exactly the reason why I think the demand pressure could be going down a notch once the border opens up.
I more meant in the YouTube career you launch rebuilding that Grady!

Always boggles my mind that people can't spend 20 mins to declutter
I know, it makes no sense to me either.

Everyone has heard about "Home Staging" Boat staging makes just as much sense , perhaps more based on the percentage increase you will get for a clean boat.

Of course, good photos make a lot of difference as well. A boat spotlessly clean, with nothing out of place, and complete service records and a logbook will always command a higher price.

Two identical boats, same hours, same everything but one looks like a mosh pit inside and the "new" batteries are sitting on a filthy bilge versus a boat that has been scrubbed and waxed, with a 3 ring binder of orderly receipts and a log book of the boat from the day the it first spanked the water.

A clean boat with a dicumented history In any market, but especially today's, will spark a bidding war or at the very least demand a premium price.

I know, it makes no sense to me either.

Everyone has heard about "Home Staging" Boat staging makes just as much sense , perhaps more based on the percentage increase you will get for a clean boat.

Of course, good photos make a lot of difference as well. A boat spotlessly clean, with nothing out of place, and complete service records and a logbook will always command a higher price.

Two identical boats, same hours, same everything but one looks like a mosh pit inside and the "new" batteries are sitting on a filthy bilge versus a boat that has been scrubbed and waxed, with a 3 ring binder of orderly receipts and a log book of the boat from the day the it first spanked the water.

A clean boat with a dicumented history In any market, but especially today's, will spark a bidding war or at the very least demand a premium price.
It feels like a 3 drawer filing cabinet is needed for receipts. We keep a spreadsheet of what was purchased or done. When ever I see in an ad, especially for an inboard boat saying how much they paid for a rebuild, leg replacement etc...just scares me off how much boat ownership costs.

Nice big dance floor! If the cost of gas doesn't scare you off :)

View attachment 67868
There’s a boat that could handle a couple of merc 600’s!
Lose the 70’s vinyl stripes and it would look pretty amazing

2001 Hourston 18.2 Sportsman. $26,500.

Anyone have more info on this boat or what to look out for? Had a chat with the owner, might be checking it out Saturday...coming from Vancouver.

Seems like a great deal with the brand new outboard and looks clean.

On a scale of 1-10, is it needed to get a marine survey done prior to purchase?

That Houston
Anyone have more info on this boat or what to look out for? Had a chat with the owner, might be checking it out Saturday...coming from Vancouver.

It's not "needed" but recommended. Boat looks clean. Ad says the engines have 750 hours on them so not brand new. So, depending on how "recent" the survey is, , I'd likely spend some $$ on a survey and buy myself peace of mind.

That Houston

It's not "needed" but recommended. Boat looks clean. Ad says the engines have 750 hours on them so not brand new. So, depending on how "recent" the survey is, , I'd likely spend some $$ on a survey and buy myself peace of mind.
Agreed. Stringers and transom are the big worries. Then a good mechanical too. Great looking boat, I hope it all goes well for you.

Cat

If you are coming from Vancouver you might want to get a deposit down. If you aren't experienced with boats it is worthwhile to get a survey as it can help you with negotiation or at least some piece of mind, if you are experienced then a long sea trail is more important, than a survey. Nice it has a new engine, but I told a buddy to pass on an old boat with a new engine on Saturday it had visible wiring issues on top of some transom rot. You should be fine with a 2001 but who knows, it was the late 90's to early 2000's that most boats went to better stringers and transoms. Good luck!

2004 Campion 542 - 2-stroke 125hp Merc and Kicker $27K

Back