Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

One of the dealers over here offers that service, does ads about it occasionally, similar to a broker I would imagine.
With the exchange rate and the dealer fee, would that still make financial sense for average fishing boat? I’m all for shopping down in the WA market but it’s been way too risky lately, esp. with the scam ads and that you should be sending $$ sights unseen, I for one can’t justify the risk.

Cad Dollar is improving but other than much more inventory, I agree there is little advantage due to the hassle and risk. We bought from a reputable dealer/broker which was medium to poor experience. A FaceTime/Skype/Hangout tour and video is likely a must for any buying experience out of town, much less out of country in this new world. I did a couple video calls while truck shopping last year, with an Alberta dealer and a BC Private sale. As far as scams the US has lots of public data on both legit and scammers, start by googling the sellers name and location. Biggest issue is a sea trial, not happening til April 2021. The fall may find lots of motivated Americans looking to sell especially with the 30% reduction in their CERB EI top up equivalent which will be a real trickle up economic experience. We digress, there should be a US Buying thread pinned :)

Cad Dollar is improving but other than much more inventory, I agree there is little advantage due to the hassle and risk. We bought from a reputable dealer/broker which was medium to poor experience. A FaceTime/Skype/Hangout tour and video is likely a must for any buying experience out of town, much less out of country in this new world. I did a couple video calls while truck shopping last year, with an Alberta dealer and a BC Private sale. As far as scams the US has lots of public data on both legit and scammers, start by googling the sellers name and location. Biggest issue is a sea trial, not happening til April 2021. The fall may find lots of motivated Americans looking to sell especially with the 30% reduction in their CERB EI top up equivalent which will be a real trickle up economic experience. We digress, there should be a US Buying thread pinned :)
Agreed, just had a sweet centre console lined up in Oregon, seller lost his job as an aerospace machinist due to COVID and is selling off for cash and ridding his monthly payments of hobby stuff. I couldn't act fast enough due to border closures so someone else got it and with no possibility now of a sea trial it's tough. We win but we lose.

Last edited:
I highly recommend avoiding buying a boat without a sea trial and full survey.
I thought I could skip those steps by buying one locally but I should’ve put the time in. Now it’s a driveway ornament on one of the best days of the year.
I’ll also say don’t trust anyone that you don’t personally know very well. Even if they come across as nice and honest. People will surprise you how shady they can be.

And like used cars, used boats are quite often for sale because the seller doesn’t want to repair whatever might be wrong with it. Either big or small finding that problem is the challenge.

And like used cars... sometimes you never find out the true reason for selling until it’s toooo late and you have it either hooked-up, at the launch or just getting geared up to have The making of an awesome family day. :oops:

sorry I mean no disrespect to anyone but I don’t trust others work unless its been documented for viewing, seen too much of it in handyman home improvements and commercial building practices!

I couldn't imagine the job of these surveyers and the faith/trust in them, they are only human and also make mistakes so trust your own knowledge/experience and gut feelings, if something feels not quite right chances are it isn't.

Last edited:
Somehow these boys found me on Facebook....
https://www.allsurplus.com/events/2...06dh67tOXKPang&pn=1&so=asc&sf=lotnumber&ps=20

Personally I would take the SFBC members Silver Streak over these and the landed prices.
Related note, on a PNW fishing site on Facebook, one member is talking about a class action lawsuit against, among others, Lund for the spray foam in between the deck and hull fiasco. The erosion and pin holes and also the failure rate and expense to get it out.

I highly recommend avoiding buying a boat without a sea trial and full survey.
I thought I could skip those steps by buying one locally but I should’ve put the time in. Now it’s a driveway ornament on one of the best days of the year.
I’ll also say don’t trust anyone that you don’t personally know very well. Even if they come across as nice and honest. People will surprise you how shady they can be.

did your new boat not come as advertised?

Back