Boat Wiring

jimbob

Is there a special type of wire needed for a boat as compared to normal domestic (house) wiring? If so, what is the difference?

House wire is a single copper strand covered in a plastic coat. It has no vibration to deal with and is not being flexed at all after being installed. Boat and vehicle wiring on the other hand flex's constantly and is made up of multiple strands. You are better off to find wire made up with the most strands possible.

Supposedly the best stuff to use is solid-core copper wiring. Instead of multiple strands which can absord water and corrode, solid will not. Are you talking about wiring for your gauges and accessories etc. or your battery mains?

quote:Originally posted by jimbob

Is there a special type of wire needed for a boat as compared to normal domestic (house) wiring? If so, what is the difference?

Marine grade tinned wire will last much, much longer than regular copper wire because of its superior corrosion resistant properties.

Being an electrician,I have to chime in on this subject.I have had this discussion before many times.This is what I tell everyone:

1)Solid core wire is a no-no.Electricity has a natural tendancy to travel on the surface of the copper,not the middle.Stranded wire actually has more surface area,ergo better conductivity.
Just as Kisinana said,the wire will be under continuous vibration which is hard on solid wire-ever tried to find a wire broken inside the insulation?Minimum 17 strand conductor is best

2)Tinned wire is the best</u> wire for corrosive environments,but not the only wire you can use.I personally use what is called "cabtire"-The cable designation is called SJOW.Many strands,thick rubber jacket,very flexible and cheaper than marine grade cable.

3)Seal all your terminations!Even tinned wire will corrode over time and the only solution is to seal any area that will allow moisture to penetrate your insulation.Apply silicone to your terminal connections before you crimp,and use heat shrink tubing over the end of the insulation

4)House wire (NMD-90)is for dry locations only!The outer jacket and conductor insulation will not last.Water,sun and constant changes in temperature will turn the insulation brittle and crumble.Do not use!

Sorry for the rambling on,but I hope this will help you become better informed.
P.S.-12volt d/c requires larger diameter wire-dont be afraid to upsize

Good luck!
Hooch

Dont forget to use a Very good die electric grease at all open connections( like that damn scotty plug). This is good on any connection that cannot be covered with a heat shrink fitting or sealed connector.

i think hooch covered it just right, where was he when i did my boat, lol, i used the tinned copper anyways and heat shrinked everything

Ha Jimbob the wire that Hoochiebob is refering to can be purchased at a store called ECS cable. They are located on Alfa st. just off Douglas.You can also use SOOW designated wire. Cheers.

I have slowly and steadily changed over the usual auto wire under my console for the tinned marine wire which will not corrode , nice to have a neighbour who is interested in the power squadron and also a retired BC Hydro guy who loves to tinker and rewire things on boats , I sit and pass what he needs and make sure his beer is never dry , good symbiotic relationship I believe !!!

AL

Hey Dohboy!I was probably wiring one of three boats at the same time you were.Do I smell a new career venture?
Jimbob-sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner.You could try ECS,but depending on the length you need,I would call Home depot or Westburne for prices.You would be amazed at the difference in price between outfits.And wireman is correct,SOOW will work as well.
And Alleycat,that's what I call a neighbor.We electricians are susceptible to beer bribes.
Hope my information helps all interested
Hooch

hey hoociebob,
funny you say 3 boats, as i did 3 between spring and summer, good times considering my small stature (6'1" with lets just say a healthy appetite for beer, forget six pack but my keg is bought and paid for[:p])

I hear ya there.I'm 6'2" and usually end up with beer bottle glasses by the end.The long arms are a plus though:D

Back