Boat tops and insurance

tubbed out

So with all the snow last nite my boat top got crushed , even after I cleared it off around midnite

ok its done now , Im done crying

Anyone ever go through their house insurance for something like this ??

Worst part is, my Renovation is 6 weeks overdue and the boat should have been under my new carport ,where it is now

Oh well any help or advice would be great
tubbed

BTW Bigmeal can I borrow your boat LOL , feel better buddy

Sure. I can be the cheap auto pilot and let you catch all the fish for us. That's about all I'm good for right now anyways lol.
Sorry to see your top crumpled in a heap, but I guess you can get the stand up top you've wanted. I had to get the wife to go out just after midnight to knock the snow off my soft top and she was oh so willing LOL LOL.

Sorry to hear about your boat top.I did mine just before bed time and then again at 4:30AM.I hate to say it but I think that you're hooped when it comes to using house insurance.Hope I'm wrong here.
Dave

Hey T.O.

This should be covered but it's all going to depend on you insurance policy. Is the boat insured separately, or do you have it listed as part of the house policy? If it's on the house policy you Should Only have to pay the deductible (depending on the policy) and the house policy should cover the rest. If the boat is insured by itself then you'll have to go through all the fine print to see if it's covered. Regardless I'd be calling your agent/broker to get all of the details. Don't forget to photograph everything, In place and as it is, if at all possible. Good luck with this.

your boat insurance may have a lower dedutible than your home policy. Your home policy will cover damage only up to about 2,000 or 3,000, depending on the company. A claim with your home policy will lose your claims free discount, so your rates may go up.

Just a reminder, just cause your boat is not in the water, does not mean that you dont need boat insurance.
One third of our claims come from snow load, building collapse, falling trees, kids throwing stones, etc. during the off season.

no kidding, one client had a little triangle corner windshield broken by a kid & rock. since no one makes the same size curved window, they had to custom order a whole new front windshield from the "wisconsin" maker, install it, and because the boat cover no longer fit, the insurance company bought a new one.. total price around $3600.

Pays to have good insurance year round.

Back