Boat sinks trying to break through surf at rivermouth in Jordan River

Dave S

I wasn't there but heard from someone that was that the guys in the boat used poor judgement in trying to get through the surf at the river mouth in JR. Looks like the transom couldn't handle the impact and torque of "launching over 3 waves" trying to get out. The boat ended up washing up on the rocks on the inside after sinking just outside the surf line. Sketchy.

With winter storms arriving, be extra cautious out there.

Lots of pictures here. http://coastalbc.com/surf/photo01.htm (not my photos)

141013jackson03.jpg

During the 12 years or so when I lived at JR I was involved in a number of rescues, mostly of kayakers but a couple of boaters also.

Always amazed me how sometimes totally ignorant people would head out into a building swell or not be aware of sets of waves or any number of things one should know in order to play in and around surf.
They weren't ignorant after I'd hauled their butts back to shore and in a couple of cases put them in the surfer's sauna to revive them and regain body heat.

Tough way to learn though.

Wondering if local old-time surfer involved was Doug Harvey. He's as good a waterman as anyone around JR when it comes to the surf, having over 45 years of experience there.

Glad nobody hurt.

Take care.

Back