Boat recommendations - fish, cruise and sleep 5

i am looking at getting a larger boat and would like recos. It needs to be able to add riggers and troll, cruise at around 20 knots (don't like going too slow) and sleep 5 (2 adults and 3 kids) for weekend camping trips. I am thinking something around 28-32'. And I am not looking to break the bank. Prob between $75-100k.

Any suggestions?

If your looking for a family boat I think the Bayliner 2858 are nice. PM Tenmile about the one he had, very nice boat and in your budget.

i am thinking more of cruiser versus pure fishing boat. Something like a Sea Ray 290 or Bayliner 285. But want to see if there are any other suggestions.

If you up your budget slightly you could get into a 30 ft Commander . Alot of guys run them over here on the Sunshine Coast.

30 foot commander is like a floating cabin. Would love to have one some day myself very expensive though. A 2859 just got posted on Craigslist for under 40k

I have a 1978 33ft Chris Craft Catalina. Beam is about 13ft. Converted from twin 350 Chev to twin 200hp Volvo diesels (inboards). Paid about $40K in 2003. Has all the comforts of home.

The real big deal is if you need to trailer the boat, which limits you to about 28ft & narrow beam.
Straight shafts with the props under the boat is awesome for fishing.
Top speed is about 30mph. It trolls a little fast on one engine but I would never add a kicker (no explosive gas please). If you go kicker less be sure to make sure that the transmissions either have trolling valves or can be retrofitted with trolling valves.

In this type of boat there is also Uniflite & Tollycraft. Some years of Uniflites are prone to gelcoat blisters.
The Chris has hollow F/G stringers versus wood on the Uni & Tolly.

Back