Boat Purchase Question

Last year I bought a Hewescraft 200 SeaRunner from a private person not a dealer. Purchase was in July 2009 and I just received a notice from the Minister of Finance that I owe the 7% tax on it since I transfered boat licence to my name. I always thought private deals were exempt. I understand this year new laws are coming in to curtail that. Is this just another tax grab?

You have to pay the tax same as buying a used car. Sucks but its gotta be done.

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

If you still have contact with the previous owner, you might try getting him to sign a new purchase receipt that indicates X number of dollars for the boat, and X number of dollars for things like radio, fenders, lifejackets, anchor, docklines, and anything that is not attached to the hull. If a trailer is involved, you need to break that out as well.

You have to pay tax on the boat, you don't on the accessories. Could save you a few dollars.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Hi sushihunter I am bringing up a new Hewescraft 220 Searunner from Washington next month.Do you know if I have a purchase receipt seperating the boat from the other items onboard if I am still going to be zapped by Mr. Harper for everything.

Be careful on that one. I'd simply have an invoice for the boat and all the accessories, and a second for the trailer. You will have to pay GST on everything regardless. Why I'd be careful here, is if the accessories are manufactured in countries that don't have a Free Trade agreement with Canada, you might end up paying BOTH GST and DUTY on the items and it could cost you even more. If you can, lump all of you accessories into the invoice for the boat. No duty on the boat if its made in the USA. The engine and accessories are considered part of the boat. Triple check the serial number on the boat, motor and trailer and be 110% sure that they match your invoice, or the boarder team will turn you around -- when I did this, the dealer had made a mistake which I caught before leaving so they did up a new invoice.

If you want warranties on your engines in Canada -- don't buy Yamaha!!!

TenMile
<'((((><

quote:Originally posted by pennel

Hi sushihunter I am bringing up a new Hewescraft 220 Searunner from Washington next month.Do you know if I have a purchase receipt seperating the boat from the other items onboard if I am still going to be zapped by Mr. Harper for everything.

I would go with TenMile's advice on this one. I have never purchased a boat in the US, so I have no experience on how they would treat it.

You can always check their website for info and perhaps make a phone call to them prior to making your purchase.

And on the political side of things, let's remember that Harper reduced the GST from 7% to 5%. Of course the Chretien Liberals did do away with the GST altogether... oh, wait...

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

First of all thanks Sushihunter and TenMile for the info.TenMile you said that the Yamaha Usa warranty is no good here in Canada. That was for me the one big disadvantage about buying the engines down South.However, when I asked the dealers up here what was their best offer as far as getting engines put on up here( 150 hp + 9.9 kicker) there was about 4500 /5000 dollar difference.So what do you do?
I fiqured for that kind of money I could buy a lot of man hours should something go wrong.
It's a bit of a gamble but I am hoping with the engines being brand new that( theoretically )they should be ok.but s**t happens in life.
Had a bigger problem with the electronics as there was about $500 difference.Haven't made up my mind on that one but leaning towards here (Port Alberni) simply because of the quick fix if it goes wrong.
Anyway once again thanks for the info

pennel you found only that amount of savings I save about 8000 on my yamaha 150 and 6 years of warranty but then I live in delta so going across the line for repairs is no big deal. but it's a yamaha you won't have trouble.

Pennel,

I did the same thing as you and when I purchased the boat it came with a Yamaha 115 and 8hp both with extended 6 year warranties. I've since sold the boat, but ended up keeping the 8hp which has now had a series of problems -- each of them up to now have cost about $200 to fix. Latest one seems to point to a defective solenoid on the trim/tilt motor so I have to pack it up and take it to Port Angeles and hope they fix it right the first time. Just ends up being a major pain. Given the weather over the past few weeks, there hasn't been a window where I could run the boat across the straight safely.

Evinrude and Merc both have warranties across North America and there may be a few others.

TenMile
<'((((><

Pennel:

Here's a thought:

Assume that you will save $5,000 by purchasing in the USA. Also assuming that you can afford it, take the $5K you save and put it into a high interest term deposit or some other financial instrument that you can liquidate quickly if needed and put that away for the life of the motor. Essentially you are self-financing your own warranty. If at the end of that time, you still have money in that account - you win. You may have to spend it on repairs and maybe even kick in some extra over the years.

I guess, the bottom line is: what do you feel comfortable doing? By getting factory warranty, you are buying peace of mind. Sometimes that is worth a lot more than what you pay for it.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Sushihunter,
It appears that I have hit the motherload-not only great fishing advice but my financial planner all in one!-Only kidding.
Unfortunately, I am married to a woman who thinks she is an apprentice millionaire and no doubt would use the money to buy another pair of shoes or someother extremely important thing like a dress.
I have actually earmarked the money for a tin boat plus an outboard which I intend bringing up at the same time.
Thanks for the thought but the tinboat wins.

Back