Boat motor covers

Striper Sniper

Hi guys, being new to the Island I am wondering if I will have any problems over winter putting motor covers on the Yamis (after I bought them of course) :D Thanks in advance, Striper Sniper

Thanks RS, I was wondering if I would get any condensation/moisture between the motor covers and the covers I will be putting on as a result of winter conditions. SS

I guess just make sure the motors are very clean before you put the covers on, you don't want dirt getting ground into the engine by the "protective covering"

I think the ones you can buy are made of the breatheable material Sunbrella

Always ensure airflow when covering your outboards, or boat for that matter. If moisture is trapped inside your protective covers with no way out, rust and mildew will be the result when you uncover in the Spring. Ensure sure your covers are either loosely fitted or vented.
PinchMe :)

I was all ready to buy an outboard cover a couple years ago but most everyone I told recommended not covering the motor because of the issues PinchMe describes above. My Yamaha dealer instead recommended spraying down the engine with QuickSilver Corrosion Guard. I've done it the last two winters and it seems to work great.

><)))))">

Thanks guys, wish I hadn't bought them. The motors are new and I wan't to keep them in prestine condition. I made sure they were squeeky clean/dry and put the covers on. Should keep the sun and rain off and I will check them occasionally to make sure nothing untowards is occuring. Wish I would have known about the Quick Silver earlier. SS

I use the same as slabby does (been doing it for about 5yrs) no problems with the motor at all , I use a wax called "Nu-finish" and give the outsides of the motor cover a good protective coating for dispersing the rain etc , goes good anytime I start her up !

AL

Good idea to wax the outside. I'm going to do it today. That way it's protected inside (QuickSilver) and out.

Back