Boat licensing

Same thing happened to me, bought my boat from a guy in Pitt Meadows and had him deliver it to a trucking yard in Chiliwack from delivery to Calgary, the Bill of Sale clearly stated the boat had to be delivered to Calgary (FOB Calgary) as part of the deal.

Some 2 years later, an obscure letter from Victoria demanding the PST arrives. They found out that the boat changed hands from the Feds when I registered in in my name...they didn't have a clue what I paid for it but they knew I owed PST. The onus was on me to prove the boat was actually delivered outside of BC. The gals at this tax office were probably trained by Gengis Khan; probably some of the crabbiest battleaxes I've ever spoke with.

It's a bit challenging when the trucking outfit never left me with a bill of lading and has since gone broke. The yard where the boat was delivered to in Calgary is now a lumber yard and the owner has no idea who owned it before him.

After a fair bit of tracking down, I had the previous owner fill in some form indicating that the boat was delivered to Alberta. Haven't heard anything more and there is no way I'll pay PST on it. My coastal fishing licenses are federally issued and I'll pay cash for anything I do in BC for the next few years. Hell will freeze shut before I cut them a cheque.

Zeke

Cheers All,

In 2007 I had a custom aluminum sports fishing boat built by one of the top 3 companies on Vancouver Island. I purchased it and paid all the taxes. In 2009 I had a phone call from the government asking me to pay the taxes. Ten days later I had a letter, a little more insistant, confirming the phone call and again demanding the taxes. I explained on the phone and then by letter, that I had paid both taxes and had the receipts to prove it. I inquired if the correspondent really believed that a manufacturer would actually let me leave their yard without the boat being paid for - including all the taxes. I was then asked to produce either the receipts or the taxes due. Period. I called the manufacturer who insisted that they had indeed forwarded the taxes. I then emailed the copy of the itemized statement of account, showing that both taxes had been paid. It was only then that I was provided a letter stating that the taxes had been paid and that the matter was 'resolved'.

So...not only used boats can have this 'difficulty' and one should always, always, always keep the proper paperwork.

Merry Christmas to all!

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

When I first started towing boats across the borders, I was always stopped and had to have “CURRENT” vehicle, trailer, and boat registration, along with proof of insurance. The registration did not have to be in my name, but if not I had to have written authorization from the owner. That went on for years, but it is now more years, since I have been asked to prove anything concerning boat and trailer. About the only thing asked now, is where to fish?

If you really want to know legally required operating “any” type of vehicle, it is very well spelled out! You have to be IAW the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, period! Both the U.S. and Canada are signatures of it. Wow… second time I referred to that this week!

The big things to remember are the following must be met when driving outside the country of registration:. And these “by no means” are the only requirements! Amendment 1 is 66 pages long!

1. Cars must display their registration number at the front and rear, even if legislation in the jurisdiction of registration does not require a front vehicle registration plate on cars.

2. The vehicle must meet all technical requirements to be legal for road use in the country of registration. Any conflicting technical requirements (e.g. right-hand-drive or left-hand-drive) in the signatory country where the vehicle is being driven do not apply.

3. The driver must carry the vehicle's registration certificate, and if the vehicle is not registered in the name of an occupant of the vehicle (for example a hire car), proof of the driver's right to be in possession of the vehicle.

4. Either country can withdraw anytime, which must be in writing with a one year notice. So you might want to check the status every couple of years?

5. This agreement is only valid for up to one year operation and does not apply on any vehicles being imported. Imported vehicles must comply with “all” domestic requirements.

The most important thing to remember, you have these rights! So, when that “Rookie Cop”, comes along and starting you are in violation - Don’t argue! Just ask if it this would be easier to the station or have a supervisor come to the location.
I probably wouldn’t hurt to glance at it: http://www.unece.org/trans/conventn/crt1968e.pdf

As far as “bill of sale”, “ownership”, and” insurance”? I “Highly” suggest, if you sell “any” vehicle or boat, you check “your” laws closely? I don’t know in BC, not even going to look it up.

Here, a “bill of sale” is a document that transfers ownership of an asset from a seller to the buyer, but is “a basic agreement” for the sale of goods, and is nothing more than a sales receipt. In the case of a vehicle… it gives the buyer rights in ownership and the authority to complete the documentation required by State and Federal laws to “legally” transfer the vehicle into their name. Plus, there is a time frame associated with the transfer. A “dealer” has 45 days in Washington, to “perfect title”! Which means the “title” is free of legal questions as to ownership. Ownership is still “legally” in question until you receive “title” in your name! You can register a vehicle with a “bill of sale”, but guess what… Washington is going to send you a “title” as “proof of ownership”. Plus, if it isn’t done with the proper time frame you get to pay their penalties along with the back taxes due! I do believe if you tow a boat into Washington and the only documentation is a “bill of sale” and it is over 45 days old – you may have issues you aren’t going to like?

Insurance - I am fairly sure your insurance companies are governed by both Canada and BC regulations. If you read “ANY” of your insurance policies you will find a clause that states “They have the right to subrogate”! If you are the legal owner of “anything” that causes damage to another or their property - I guarantee the insurance company will come after “YOU”! You will not be protected by a “Bill of Sale” in regards to a vehicle or boat.

I just got a letter from BC Gov wanting the PST pd on my used boat which I have a reciept for that I pd it. In the form it also says in small print taxes on Motor and accesories. When I bought the boat it had the downriggers, GPS, stereo etc do we really have to pay taxes on used motors riggers etc. I can buy them at a yard sale or wherever and dont pay taxes on these things?

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

Does your bill of sale itemize accessories separately ?
You should only pay tax on the whole package once, and even that is gouging as far as i'm concerned.
The Gov't has already claimed their tax $$ on all products on the initial sale.
It's a ripoff, and should be illegal to claim tax over and over again...
:(:(

Back