boat licence

I got hold of Transport Canada today inquiring about boats that were licensed without the 10 year validity date. The answer is the rules changed as of 2010, all boats licensed prior to 2010 will have the licence expire in 2020. A few other things that I learned, reason we are dealing with people in New Brunswick is that NB is the only province that would take on the task and provide service for all of Canada in both languages. He told me that BC would only deal with boats in BC and in English. Same with most of the other provinces. Quebec well you know.Couple of other things make sure things like flashlights work, also life jackets are T.C approved, on the subject of flares. I made a comment about why when you buy new flares you only get 4 when you are required to have 6 , flares are made in the U.S. different rules. I could keep writing but I have had enough.

did they say that there was going to be another charge for renewal once the numbers up.I just wonder if this is another cash grab by our government.

he did not mention any charge planned for the future but I think you are correct in thinking it may be coming

day before yesterday I got a letter from the boat licensing people saying that my request to cancel the license for my old Harbourcraft boat has been denied, I need a bill of sale, if I do not have a bill of sale a trip to the lawyer is in store. Yesterday I received from the same people a replacement license for the my Princecraft boat no questions asked. Go Figure.

So here is another variation of the weirdness of boat licensing. I am looking at a custom aluminum boat. Current owner bought boat from an estate with just a handwritten bill of sale 5 years ago. He never changed registration, just used the boat for day fishing. Boat does not have any hull id on it anywhere. On the bill of sale it refers to hull id 530866 which I know is a partial id. We have crawled over every inch looking for anything to give us the full id...not there. However it does have the BC pleasure craft registration numbers on the hull. One of the BC 0000000 type numbers.

So I am trying to find out who manufactured the hull. Should be simple as the boat was registered....not. Have a look at the "purpose" of the license numbers.

"A pleasure craft license provides a unique identification number - commonly referred to as the "license number" - that you must display on your recreational vessel, as required under the Small Vessel Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. This license number helps law-enforcement and search and rescue officials trace a pleasure craft to its owner."

So far I have tried: Coast Guard, Fisheries, local Harbour Authority, Transport Canada and not one of them is able to provide me with any information on this hull. I have friends in 3 of these authorities who all said the same thing, they do not have access to any database to help "trace" the boat to its owner. If the boat was found drifting

As someone who has been on the water for 50 years I was very surprised. With my commercial boats I could call coast guard on the VHF and give them a vessel name and they could quickly spit out a full vessal description in the event of an emergency. I would have thought the numbers would do the same in pleasure craft. If you call coastguard with an emergency you should be able to give them this number and they should be able to describe the boat in detail. So I guess this really is just a tax purpose registration....

So here is another variation of the weirdness of boat licensing. I am looking at a custom aluminum boat. Current owner bought boat from an estate with just a handwritten bill of sale 5 years ago. He never changed registration, just used the boat for day fishing. Boat does not have any hull id on it anywhere. On the bill of sale it refers to hull id 530866 which I know is a partial id. We have crawled over every inch looking for anything to give us the full id...not there. However it does have the BC pleasure craft registration numbers on the hull. One of the BC 0000000 type numbers.

So I am trying to find out who manufactured the hull. Should be simple as the boat was registered....not. Have a look at the "purpose" of the license numbers.

"A pleasure craft license provides a unique identification number - commonly referred to as the "license number" - that you must display on your recreational vessel, as required under the Small Vessel Regulations of the Canada Shipping Act, 2001. This license number helps law-enforcement and search and rescue officials trace a pleasure craft to its owner."

So far I have tried: Coast Guard, Fisheries, local Harbour Authority, Transport Canada and not one of them is able to provide me with any information on this hull. I have friends in 3 of these authorities who all said the same thing, they do not have access to any database to help "trace" the boat to its owner. If the boat was found drifting

As someone who has been on the water for 50 years I was very surprised. With my commercial boats I could call coast guard on the VHF and give them a vessel name and they could quickly spit out a full vessal description in the event of an emergency. I would have thought the numbers would do the same in pleasure craft. If you call coastguard with an emergency you should be able to give them this number and they should be able to describe the boat in detail. So I guess this really is just a tax purpose registration....

I purchased a used boat about 2 years ago and there is no hull ID plate what so ever. The boat is an older one (fibreform I think) and was told that some older boats did not have ID plates with serial numbers. I did use the BC registration number to have it put in my name with no issues what so ever.

Good boat for fishing too.

Back