Boat launch options to get to Bamfield

T

tortuga

Last year we launched our 22'er at Port Alberni at 8:00 a.m. The weather was great and the run wasn't bad at all. Wondering about the pro's and con's of dropping in at China Creek or elsewhere. Port boat launch was a bit busy.

Salute.

Ola: Just did the run from China. Shaved about 15 minutes from Clutsy, but the road was bumpy and dusty.Nice thing about the Port launch is the freshwater bath you take coming up the river. 6 of one....
Klob out.

Ucluelet is an option. Its an easy drive from Port Alberni and the run across the Sound is only about 18 miles. Depending on the weather, it could be a bit bumpy, but a significant portion of it is sheltered.

I've been putting in at Clutesi Haven and running out to the Bamfield area for about 10 years now. This past weekend I ran to Toquart Bay, approximately 40 nautical miles.

I ran out there for 4 years in my 14 foot boat, then upgraded to an 18 for 4 years. Now in a 26 foot.

I will never drive the road, even to China Creek. The run out is a cruise that I enjoy. No wear and tear on the trailer or worry of chips from flying rocks.

JMO

I was turned away from China creek when I showed up last year and asked for just a launch and truck/trailer storage. Call ahead to be safe.

Free parking at Clutesi Haven across the street. If you're staying in Bamfield a few days it's worth that extra 15 minute run.

baddog,

Say no more.

Apparently right now the good action is 20 mile .

Thanks,

Back