Boat Keel Rubs

spring fever

I have a dual axle trailer with a heavy boat on it. I used to get chips and dents on the forward part of the keel- so I put an 8 ft keel guard on and all was well -or so I thought. Now I notice a slight tear in the keel Guard-Upon further investigation it appears when the boat comes off the trailer or perhaps comes on; it hits the rollers in front of the cross members but it also appears( from the rub marks) it may be running across the 2 main axles. Is there anything I can attach to those axles that won't impair them while travelling yet will protect the keel as it comes on and off. I was thinking of a roller on each axle but don't know how to attach. Thanks

round axles---PVC or ABS pipe. Put another keel roller at the back, behind, the one already there, and a bit lower-to act as a ramp.

maybe cut the round tube down one side with a circular saw, then wrap it around your axle, then use stainless steel bands to hold it in place?

A 1" thick x however big piece of UHMW plastic attached with a pair of (countersunk) u bolts.

That sounds interesting. I was thinking of U bolting a piece of 2X 10" x 3 ' cedar between the axles and covering it with 1/2 uhmw. If it is not attached to the frame -don't think it will cause any axle trouble??

maybe cut the round tube down one side with a circular saw, then wrap it around your axle, then use stainless steel bands to hold it in place?

exactly--you can usethe handyman's helper (duct tape) around the axle to build it up, where the tube will end, then the clamps will have something to compress onto

That sounds interesting. I was thinking of U bolting a piece of 2X 10" x 3 ' cedar between the axles and covering it with 1/2 uhmw. If it is not attached to the frame -don't think it will cause any axle trouble??

Or you could get a thicker piece(s) and eliminate the wood. uhmw is easy to drill and work with and won't rot.

The pipe idea works as well. You could do a short test piece. Cut out enough of the pipe to snap it on there without breaking.

So here's what I'll try first 2X8"x 2' piece of cedar u-bolted to the axle-along it-with a piece of starboard on top. If that works I will do uhmw. I think eventually I will have to raise my rear bunks and or my front rollers-however in what combination I'm not sure of. Thanks for all the ideas-gave me a place to start.

Its probably when you back off the trailer because the front of the boat will dive down as it comes off . As you drive on, the bow is up so you dont make contact in that direction. Just go to any boat shop or canadia tire and get the wide rollers not the "v" rollers that come with the adj brackets (the ones with the slots )and u-bolt them on . Its very simple really minimal tools and experiance. Hope I could help.
Dan

also keep the rollers down as far away from the hull as possible . You dont want the axel coming up or the boat coming down (depending how you look at it) and have rollers pounding on the bottom of your boat every time you hit a bump . Make sense?

I have had problem with low angle ramps like Coal Harbour. I found my keel would drag on the back cross member if the boat cleared and I tried to pull forward then back again. My two center bunks stop about 4 feet short of the rear crossmamber while the two outside bunks go all the way back. I installed a 12" wide roller on the back crossmember and it seems to work much better. My axles don't hit, but if they did, I think I would rip a piece of PVC pipe length wise and clamp with a couple s/s clamps. All my forward crossmambers have pads I got from trailer manufacture.
Tedg

Well guys I have gone done the pad on the axle and also put an adjustable roller on the front and rear cross members so hopefully that's the last we'll hear of it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back