Boat Insurance

Kisinana

For those of you that have insurance and smaller boats, do you insure them year round?
Do you know of any insurance that covers 6 months? Say May to October.
Just curious as in the last few yaers I have found I don't use my boat over the winter.

I ensure mine year round but I'm sure that you could get it for a specific period just like a car and when not using it all you would need would be storage insurance of some type to cover yourself for theft or what ever.

I ensure mine year round but I'm sure that you could get it for a specific period just like a car and when not using it all you would need would be storage insurance of some type to cover yourself for theft or what ever.

Good post Statler. You should be able to insure it for what ever time frame you want. The shorter the period the higher the rate though I have found in the past. I have done the 6 month thing before but did exactly what Statler indicated and had storage insurance for sure. Don't just leave it without it.

For those of you that have insurance and smaller boats, do you insure them year round?
Do you know of any insurance that covers 6 months? Say May to October.
Just curious as in the last few yaers I have found I don't use my boat over the winter.

Have a good read of your policy and shop around , all policies are not equal . If you are on the trailer check your home insurance and make sure you are covered in the driveway especially theft and fire.

Make sure you check :

theft , what is covered , gear etc. Are you covered when you are on a trailer or when on land?

mechanical, whats covered if your engine blows up , or is damaged in a car accident?

Commercial Assistance , If you break down it is your responsibility to find a towing company. The base rate is 200-250 per hour. Most good policies cover 1500.00 without a deductible. This portion should be non -ratable (your insurance should not go up next year because you made a claim)

Salvage, if your boat sinks (I deal with at least 5 sinkers a year in the Victoria area) you are responsible for its recovery and the cost of pollution control. If you don't want to mortgage your house make sure this is included in your policy with a reasonable deductable.

I deal a lot with insurance companies and I am always amazed at the poor coverage that many people have on very expensive rides.

beemer
www.C-TowVictoria.ca

Back