Boat Insurance , Commercial assistance.

beemer

It's that time of the year again where we get our boat policy in the mail ,glance at it ,sign it and cut a cheque.I just wanted to give members a heads up on getting the most out of your policy and keeping as much cash in your jeans as possible.
As some of you know I am the local commercial assistance provider for the Victoria area(Sidney to Sooke) and I come across a great deal of boaters who need help or a tow etc. , but are not covered on their policies. Most GOOD policies cover commercial assistance with no little or no deductable ($50.00). Your policy should cover you for a minimum of $500but $1000. should cover most situations. The policy should specifically say commercial assistance , not salvage. Most boaters are more likely to use this part of their insurance than any other , make sure you are covered!

Here are a few misconceptions/facts about commercial assistance.

- If I break down the Coast Guard or the Coast Guard Auxiliary will tow me in? Wrong. Government agencies can only tow you if human life is in danger. These guys need to be available to help people in real distress.

- If I break down other boaters are "obligated" to tow me in. Wrong. Other boaters are only obligated by law to help you out it their is human life in danger. MayDay situations only. We have all done our fair share of towing buds in , but it really sucks losing a day fishing ,towing in someone who forgot to check the gas guage or maintain their boat. Free time isn't really free!

-towing another boat is easy. Most of the time it is, but it is very hard on outdrives and can be tricky around docks and close quarters. The boat doing the towing is fully liable for any accidents that occur when a tow line is attached to another boat.

Boaters in the Victoria area have always been a very self sufficient group , but bad luck can and does happen to anyone (even very experienced people) , so have a quick check of your policy to see if you are covered.

safe boating. beemer

www.C-TowVictoria.com

thanks kelly , judging by some of your photos it looks like you have a few tales to tell as well!

beemer

Back